HTC ONE M8 Or iPhone 6

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you really had any intention of keeping the M8 if you are scrapping it after one week. Then again, when I scrapped my iPhone for an M7 the 5S was out and that tiny screen wasn't going to cut it. Now the iPhone 6 is out, but it's a day late and a dollar short....actually hundreds of dollars too much (-;

I would be interested in knowing what your experience is like going back. I still have my iPhone, I basically use it as an iPod. I can't get used to the static environment vs the dynamic environment that is Android. It is like living in a two dimensional world vs a three dimensional one.
I

Well, it's technically been more than a week. I have until Wednesday to return it before my 14 day window is up. There are things I do like about Android, but I think the things I like about iOS outweigh the good about Android. I don't really use Google services, so all the Google integration is wasted on me. Plus I use Macs, so the overall experience of backing up and transferring between phone to computer is just more fluid for me with an iPhone. To be completely honest though, if the iPhone camera (including Apple's software) was in the M8 I would keep it. I love the hardware and the phone is snappy, but the camera is lacking and the software isn't quite as consistent for me. I would/will give HTC and Android another go in the future. Who knows, I might get the 6 and come back to Android with my tail between my legs. Hahaha!

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I

Well, it's technically been more than a week. I have until Wednesday to return it before my 14 day window is up. There are things I do like about Android, but I think the things I like about iOS outweigh the good about Android. I don't really use Google services, so all the Google integration is wasted on me. Plus I use Macs, so the overall experience of backing up and transferring between phone to computer is just more fluid for me with an iPhone. To be completely honest though, if the iPhone camera (including Apple's software) was in the M8 I would keep it. I love the hardware and the phone is snappy, but the camera is lacking and the software isn't quite as consistent for me. I would/will give HTC and Android another go in the future. Who knows, I might get the 6 and come back to Android with my tail between my legs. Hahaha!

Fair enough. I didn't upgrade my M7 to the M8 because they kept the same camera. It was a dumb move that has cost them a lot of sales. I think they are finally coming to their senses (no pun) since they are introducing a new phone with a 13MP camera on Oct. 8th that isn't ultrapixel.By the time the M9 rolls around early next year, THAT is the phone I will be getting. By then, I hope they also address the black bar as well. They could have kept the M7 and M8 the same size with a bigger screen if that wasn't there.

I guess I just use my phone more as a computer itself than a conduit to another computer (desktop), which is also another reason I'd have difficulty switching at this point. I'm just to use to the freedom of moving files around and having a real file manager that's exists as it's own entity and connects with everything I throw at it. That said, it could be seen as a jack of all trades and master of none which is why I see you point about Macs and iPhones playing so nice with each other, even though they are on an island. Anyway, good luck. At least you were open minded enough to give it a look which is more than I can say for many of my iPhone friends (-:

RobbyRob

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I switched from the m8 to the iPhone 6. Liked it so much I ditched my galaxy tab for an iPad Air also. Couldn't be happier with the apple mobile products. Computers not so much though. I like the quality of the OS and the apps on Apple better than those on android. I guess it's personal preference but I will say this. If I had to use android HTC would be my only choice.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I have an M8. Got the wife an iPhone 6. I had iPhone lust when they first announced the 6 and thought I might want to switch to it, but after getting to play with my wife's a bunch, I think I will be sticking with the M8. I switched to iPhone twice in the past (4S and 5), but switched back to Android within a few months each time because I got bored with them. I think the same would happen again if I switched. iPhone is great if you just want a phone that works well, but if you're a tinkerer / phone nerd, it can get boring. You end up just browsing for new wallpapers and calendar apps all the time because there isn't much about the OS you can tweak or change. The one thing I still envy about the iPhone 6 is the camera. It makes me sad how meh the M8 camera is, but I love it despite its camera.

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The decision for me was determined by price. I got a brand new M8 on eBay for $375. It would cost almost that much for an IPhone 6 or plus ON CONTRACT. Decision made...

Posted via the Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have an M8. Got the wife an iPhone 6. I had iPhone lust when they first announced the 6 and thought I might want to switch to it, but after getting to play with my wife's a bunch, I think I will be sticking with the M8. I switched to iPhone twice in the past (4S and 5), but switched back to Android within a few months each time because I got bored with them. I think the same would happen again if I switched. iPhone is great if you just want a phone that works well, but if you're a tinkerer / phone nerd, it can get boring. You end up just browsing for new wallpapers and calendar apps all the time because there isn't much about the OS you can tweak or change. The one thing I still envy about the iPhone 6 is the camera. It makes me sad how meh the M8 camera is, but I love it despite its camera.

The camera is really what is making me like the M8 less. I like everything else about it. I love the camera in iPhone (other than the fact that it can't shoot in 16:9. I used to love to play around and customize things. Now I just want the OS to kinda get outta the way, and let me get things done. I do like the M8, but for my needs the 6 is a little more well rounded. It doesn't beat the M8 out at everything, but I feel like the sum of its parts make it a slightly better device.

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I guess I am one of the few who really like the camera of the M8. It is fast and awesome in low light. Plus I like the small file sizes and the interface of the camera is the best I have seen. The camera of the M8 is underrated.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I guess I am one of the few who really like the camera of the M8. It is fast and awesome in low light. Plus I like the small file sizes and the interface of the camera is the best I have seen. The camera of the M8 is underrated.

I'm with you on the interface. It's pretty good. And I've taken some pretty good pics with the M8. The iPhone's camera is just a little more well rounded without messing with it. Just point and shoot. Sometimes the M8 needs a little work setting the shot up to get a good pic. If I decide to get rid of the M8 it's not gonna be an easy decision, and I'll probably get a used one off ebay as a second phone. It's cheaper to get a subsidized iPhone and a used M8 over a subsidized M8 and a used iPhone. I think that's what I'll do. Return the M8 for a subsidized iPhone and get a M8 off ebay, Craigslist, or some other site.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Both of them apparently (M8 first it'd appear)

iPhone Bending: Consumer Reports' Lab Results: iPhone Bending: Consumer Reports' Lab Results - YouTube

Posted via Android Central App

Perhaps, but we haven't had so many complaints of M8s bending. It could be that by sheer force, the M8 will bend easier, but the iPhone design causes it to be most likely to bend. Or simple sheer numbers come into play: many more iPhone 6 have been sold, so many more opportunities to bend. Plus people love to bash Apple (myself included). Or it could just be a bad batch of iPhones that had some impurity in their build material that caused them to be softer and more easily bent.

Just throwing things out there. I wouldn't judge the iPhone 6 by the "bendgate" thing, but since it has nothing new to offer and really only caught up (kinda) with Android, I'm not too impressed. Plus, I don't use a phone the way the manufacturer wants me to. I use it the way I want to. Android gives me that flexibility where iOS does not (even with custom keyboards).

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Well let's take a look at what Apple fans herald as the main strength of the iPhone over android devices: quality. Now let's look at the iPhone 6 launch - warping phone body, a mass recall of the iOS 8 update, and features that are playing catch-up to android from 2012. Doesn't appear to me that iPhones hold any advantages at all anymore. Unless you're a gamer. The best titles are still hitting iOS first. In which case, get an iPad lol.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps, but we haven't had so many complaints of M8s bending. It could be that by sheer force, the M8 will bend easier, but the iPhone design causes it to be most likely to bend. Or simple sheer numbers come into play: many more iPhone 6 have been sold, so many more opportunities to bend. Plus people love to bash Apple (myself included). Or it could just be a bad batch of iPhones that had some impurity in their build material that caused them to be softer and more easily bent.

Just throwing things out there. I wouldn't judge the iPhone 6 by the "bendgate" thing, but since it has nothing new to offer and really only caught up (kinda) with Android, I'm not too impressed. Plus, I don't use a phone the way the manufacturer wants me to. I use it the way I want to. Android gives me that flexibility where iOS does not (even with custom keyboards).

I 100% agree with you on everything.

Just get a little narked with how out off proportion some people blow things, like there's conclusive proof the iPhone 6 plus is junk.

I have 2, one for my wife who absolutely loves hers whereas mine hasn't been opened yet as I'm not sure I'm keeping it yet, may return it for a 5s as I loved my 5c. I'd also like to see android L before committing to apple flagship for 2 years. Also really love my moto x (2013), just wish it had a better camera and more storage (only 16gb models available in uk)

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Well let's take a look at what Apple fans herald as the main strength of the iPhone over android devices: quality. Now let's look at the iPhone 6 launch - warping phone body, a mass recall of the iOS 8 update, and features that are playing catch-up to android from 2012. Doesn't appear to me that iPhones hold any advantages at all anymore. Unless you're a gamer. The best titles are still hitting iOS first. In which case, get an iPad lol.

I go back and forth over the M8 and the iPhone 6. Last night I was definitely trading my M8 in for a 6. This morning I was flip flopping back and forth. One thing I will say for sure. The app store overall has better apps than the play store. Every single app I use behaves better on iOS over Android's counterpart. Some look almost exactly the same, but they do work smoother on iOS.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site

In all fairness, yes ios 8.0.1 was bad, but let's not forget how bad the kitkat update upset a lot of android devices. At least apple fixed it within 24 hours, can the same be said for Samsung?

I'm no fanboy of either, genuinely, I just enjoy them both. Two things I always see as an ios advantage when I'm switching between them is aftercare (apple store in the UK have always been outstanding) and backup baked into the OS with out 3rd party workarounds which aren't always as polished and reliable. Love it or hate it, iTunes and icloud do a great job of backing up my device

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Can't argue that really. I despise KitKat. JB is my favorite flavor of android so far of them all. I look at KitKat as the Windows Vista of android

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I 100% agree with you on everything.

Just get a little narked with how out off proportion some people blow things, like there's conclusive proof the iPhone 6 plus is junk.

I have 2, one for my wife who absolutely loves hers whereas mine hasn't been opened yet as I'm not sure I'm keeping it yet, may return it for a 5s as I loved my 5c. I'd also like to see android L before committing to apple flagship for 2 years. Also really love my moto x (2013), just wish it had a better camera and more storage (only 16gb models available in uk)

Honestly, it comes down to whether or not you would be okay with being forced into Apple's "narrow hallway" of use; you can move around, but not too far from where you start. You can change things, just not much. You can make it your own, just not really. And for some people that's fine. For me it's 100% not fine, and since I'm running a custom ROM (ViperONE), which is something I can't do with an iPhone, I can't pick an iOS device for myself. But I also recognize that I like to tinker more than most people do. I like the freedom of knowing that if something doesn't work the way I want it to, I can change it. That's the benefit of Android for me. For you (or anyone else), the decision is whether or not you'd be okay being in that narrow hallway that is iOS.

I will say, though, that I work in IT and my company gives every employee a company phone. iPhones are standard for regular employees, however we in the IT department have a choice. Of the ~20 of us in the department across our branches, divisions and locations, we do not have a single IT person using an iPhone. We've had so many issues with iPhones connecting to our Exchange servers for emails. Don't even get me started on the issues we've had with the internal wifi (the password changes every month). When someone changes their account password, if they don't change it immediately on the iPhone, their account will be locked as the phone repeatedly tries to re-connect with the old password.

So, for me, because of the issues I deal with on a daily basis with iPhones, I won't consider one for myself. But for other people with other needs, yeah, it's probably a great phone. Just know what you're getting and be okay with that before deciding to stick with it for 2 years.

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, it comes down to whether or not you would be okay with being forced into Apple's "narrow hallway" of use; you can move around, but not too far from where you start. You can change things, just not much. You can make it your own, just not really. And for some people that's fine. For me it's 100% not fine, and since I'm running a custom ROM (ViperONE), which is something I can't do with an iPhone, I can't pick an iOS device for myself. But I also recognize that I like to tinker more than most people do. I like the freedom of knowing that if something doesn't work the way I want it to, I can change it. That's the benefit of Android for me. For you (or anyone else), the decision is whether or not you'd be okay being in that narrow hallway that is iOS.

I will say, though, that I work in IT and my company gives every employee a company phone. iPhones are standard for regular employees, however we in the IT department have a choice. Of the ~20 of us in the department across our branches, divisions and locations, we do not have a single IT person using an iPhone. We've had so many issues with iPhones connecting to our Exchange servers for emails. Don't even get me started on the issues we've had with the internal wifi (the password changes every month). When someone changes their account password, if they don't change it immediately on the iPhone, their account will be locked as the phone repeatedly tries to re-connect with the old password.

So, for me, because of the issues I deal with on a daily basis with iPhones, I won't consider one for myself. But for other people with other needs, yeah, it's probably a great phone. Just know what you're getting and be okay with that before deciding to stick with it for 2 years.

Again, another well rounded response I pretty much agree with (why can't all opposing opinions be presented this maturely)

I had a similar conversation with my wife before getting her 6 plus (the woman's got iPhone written through her like a stick of rock!). Yes, the iPhones are restrictive in comparison to android, but if you're able to do everything you require within those restrictions, it's a complete non issue. And as a long term user, it's nice to see apples "narrow hallway" start to get a little wider, even if it is their way.

Horses for courses as they say

skid_

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
After seeing the iphone6 I would probably go for that but it's a difficult one. The m8 is a great device, so it really depends how much you are linked with apples OS, iTunes and it's apps

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, as a standalone device, the M8 is far more appealing to me. But when you factor in my wife and 2 kids all on iDevices, it gives the iPhone more weight with features like facetime and imessage (sorry but hangouts isn't as good), family sharing and shared lists

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

Well you know that if you are invested in the ecosystem a lot, then you can see the real advantages of it. Their devices play very well with each other and make things easier for them. This and their apps have always been what they have over anything else. The m8 to me is every bit of a quality product as any iPhone.

While we have the luxury of making our phones look as we want, to do any real changes we have to unlock bootloaders, root, and add roms and themes, deal with knox.. IPhone user have to jail break their's to do about the same thing.

I am not pro ios, but know plenty of people who are, and I know plenty that are on a jailbreak...

My choice is still android and my m8 which I truly believe is the best phone I've owned overall... and if ever I did switch to a iPhone it wouldn't be until a jailbreak was available for it.... but most likely not even then..

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky