I just need a gingerbread rom with native tethering that works

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Okay my work computer wont recognize a computer to computer network, so I can't use wireless tether. Also the main reason to have the phone is to use the native internet calling to keep from using minutes. So is there a rom with both of these functionalities? Because I can't find it.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It won't happen on gingerbread, at least not yet.

You could try PDAnet, that may work for you, but stock wifi hotspot is not working in gingerbread and might not until LG/Virgin gives us Gingerbread.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay my work computer wont recognize a computer to computer network, so I can't use wireless tether. Also the main reason to have the phone is to use the native internet calling to keep from using minutes. So is there a rom with both of these functionalities? Because I can't find it.
I wouldnt worry too much about getting free internet on your phones anymore.

a. one security feature would identify any phone using a tether program to circumvent paying for tethering services. (check your gingerbread DroidX/Droid2 people and try wireless tether)
b. a second security feature would allow the phone to identify itself to the network if rooted.
c. security item number 2 would be used to track, throttle, even possibly restrict full data usage of these rooted phones.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/74355-bootloaders-rooting-manufacturers.html
Some Food for Thought - Bootloaders, Rooting, Manufacturers, and Carriers

1. The way that they were able to track rooted users is based on pushing updates to phones, and then tracking which meid's did not take the update. There is more to it than this but that is the simple version.
2. More than one major carrier besides Verizon has implemented this program and that all carriers involved had begun tracking rooted phones. All carriers involved were more than pleased with the accuracy of the program.
1. What I was not told is what the carriers intended to do with this information.
3. In new builds the tracking would be built into the firmware and that if a person removed the tracking from the firmware then the phone would not be verified on the network (i.e. your phone could not make phone calls or access data).
4. Google is working with carriers and manufacturers to secure phones, and although Google is not working to end hacking, it is working to secure the kernel so that no future applications can maliciously use exploits to steal end-user information. But in order to gain this level of security this may mean limited chances to root the device. (This item I've been told but not yet able to verify through multiple sources ? so take it for what you want)
5. Verizon has successfully used its new programs to throttle data on test devices in accordance with the guidelines of the program.
6. The push is to lock down the devices as tight as can be, but also offer un-lockable devices (Think Nexus S).

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I doubt if sprint or virgin mobile will be doing this. It reeks of Verizon though
Did you read the article?
ALL Carriers and Manufacturers are looking to lock the bootloader, because of the reasons listed.

It only makes sense, look at the amount of people here talking about breaking and returning their phone. Yesterday on reddit I seen five different posts about people "breaking" the phone and wanting to return it. The funniest one was a guy said he locked the bootloader and wanted to return it, come to find out he accepted a OTA that patched the root exploit and that was the reason he wanted to return it. Nothing else wrong at all just accepted a OTA.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Not a helpful or on topic response.

The 4/03 release of aospCM7Mod features working native tethering.

Not helpful or on topic?
So informing people of the fact you can be tracked if your tethering it not helpful or on topic in a thread that asks for a rom that supports tethering?

/boggled
ETA
If you want to get a technical about it this was also posted in the wrong subforum.
We have a rom/hacking sub forum now.

takehull

Hipster Retro Jelly Bean
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Not helpful or on topic?
So informing people of the fact you can be tracked if your tethering it not helpful or on topic in a thread that asks for a rom that supports tethering?

/boggled
ETA
If you want to get a technical about it this was also posted in the wrong subforum.
We have a rom/hacking sub forum now.

I've already read this, and it is probably worthy of its own thread, instead of causing other threads to drift.

And true, it was posted in the wrong subforum, but if you answer the OP's question early on in the thread, it will stop being replied to and quickly fall to the bottom.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I would think "rooting,roms and hacks" is just for discussion on rooting methods, specific rom thread/questions and instructions on various hacks. I wasnt asking about a specific rom and I just thought since I wasn't adding anything of value to the rom discussion and was asking a general question, it should go here.

sent by carrier pigeon

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Not helpful or on topic?

I guess you should go to all the custom rom threads and post that link then since its probably on topic for them too.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I guess you should go to all the custom rom threads and post that link then since its probably on topic for them too.

You asked for a specific rom that has native tethering enabled AND gave the reason why. I was pointing out if you only bought the phone to use as internet because of the cheap data plan I would be careful.

My comments above were directed at takehull, not liking what is posted is different from claiming it was not on topic. Seeing as how using a tether function is/does break the tos you agreed to VM can cancel on you. And in the long term end up raising the price of the plan to offset the people illegally tethering.

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
All this technical stuff will just be the excuse or reason for them to throttle/ limit the internet use. Keep in mind that technology has no limits and that as the demand grows so does the ability to meet it. As the infrrstructure saturates the company that will move past it will be the one that continues to grow and profit. Competition will keep the options open for the consumer. Those that can offer more for the money and a technical plan in place to achieve it will prosper in the future. To fix the problem they have now is to allow people to use unlimited internet at the maximum speed and at the best price. They keep raising speeds to draw customers but cannot support the amount of bandwidth? It makes no sense. At the end it comes to how much can they make with the least amount of sevice offered then move up from there to compete. If you look at the present internet plans availible do you notice that they are making more money then before, using a smaller bandwidth. Selling unlimited anything is a business waste in any commodity on this earth regardless of supply and demand, it is only a selling tool and is in most cases temporary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eollie

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
All this technical stuff will just be the excuse or reason for them to throttle/ limit the internet use. Keep in mind that technology has no limits and that as the demand grows so does the ability to meet it. As the infrrstructure saturates the company that will move past it will be the one that continues to grow and profit. Competition will keep the options open for the consumer. Those that can offer more for the money and a technical plan in place to achieve it will prosper in the future. To fix the problem they have now is to allow people to use unlimited internet at the maximum speed and at the best price. They keep raising speeds to draw customers but cannot support the amount of bandwidth? It makes no sense. At the end it comes to how much can they make with the least amount of sevice offered then move up from there to compete. If you look at the present internet plans availible do you notice that they are making more money then before, using a smaller bandwidth. Selling unlimited anything is a business waste in any commodity on this earth regardless of supply and demand, it is only a selling tool and is in most cases temporary.

Perhaps you aren't old enough to remember how home phones used to be. You paid per call up until the 70's, and even then, you had restrictions. The unlimited local calls did not become a standard in the land line phone industry till the late 70's early 80's. It wasn't a bandwidth issue in those days, since each phone call required a direct connection, but instead it was a switch board issue, only so many calls could be placed on any system at any given moment. And don't even get me started on party-lines, good old Mrs Snodgrass used to love listening in on my families phone calls!

The unlimited plans are the future, it's just harder to play catch up with technology these days, it just moves too fast!

Reactions: Eollie

AQAA

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you aren't old enough to remember how home phones used to be. You paid per call up until the 70's, and even then, you had restrictions. The unlimited local calls did not become a standard in the land line phone industry till the late 70's early 80's. It wasn't a bandwidth issue in those days, since each phone call required a direct connection, but instead it was a switch board issue, only so many calls could be placed on any system at any given moment. And don't even get me started on party-lines, good old Mrs Snodgrass used to love listening in on my families phone calls!

The unlimited plans are the future, it's just harder to play catch up with technology these days, it just moves too fast!

It was not an issue then, and it is not an issue now.
It was a way to maximize profits then and it is a way to maximize profits now.

The excuses for limiting were the same then as they is now.
They are claimed to be equipment limits, read claimed, not proven.
If anyone feel bad about rooting/teetering they are only fooling them self.

You will not see providers trying to render your phone useless by pushing updates to the phone.
They are very well aware that will ultimately only lead to a loss of revenue.

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
FYI I have a sprint ROM that is called CM7 by zefie. But of course I have a sprint phone. I wifi tether (nativly) AND IT works great.

I know that the ASOP rom from your guys phone works on ours with the help of a flashable .zip.

So maybe there might be a chance.

But if you do try zefies rom, be sure to make a nandroid back up first.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
If anyone feel bad about rooting/teetering they are only fooling them self.

Nope I dont feel bad for teetering, although Im not sure what teetering has to do with rooting my phone or even this thread....
Also troll post is troll..AQAA sorry you are misinformed. maybe reading more wikipedia articles will brighten your day.

@og_pres

The zefie port for the S works fine on the V. You just have to remapp a couple buttons and deal with it saying your on Sprint network.