I need Skype, should I just not install the update?

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Seems like update will kill Skype, is it OK to not install this update?

Would Verizon force the update?

Ps: I am not having reboot or any other issues.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have not installed this update because my phone never had any issues. Yes, it will kill the working skype. I will wait until I am force to to it and force to pay for hot spot, I used it a lot as well as skype to contact my family (video) overseas.

Reactions: funguy123us

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have not installed this update because my phone never had any issues. Yes, it will kill the working skype. I will wait until I am tforce to to it and force to pay for hot spot, I used it a lot as well as skype to contact my family (video) overseas.

Yup I am planning to wait as well.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have not installed this update because my phone never had any issues. Yes, it will kill the working skype. I will wait until I am force to to it and force to pay for hot spot, I used it a lot as well as skype to contact my family (video) overseas.
just an fyi if verizon sees u using the hotspot feature for free, they will hit u with a fine on top of the monthly cost of the hot spot. i know its stupid i just don't want u to have to feel my pain

funguy123us

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
just an fyi if verizon sees u using the hotspot feature for free, they will hit u with a fine on top of the monthly cost of the hot spot. i know its stupid i just don't want u to have to feel my pain

Good point, I don't use hotspot feature.

Kronko,
You may want think about it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Check this out, it loads up fine for me, but I haven't tried a video call yet:

Tips Old Skype will not work, Here's a better copy - Android Forums

this is not a new (well not today or yesterday new) Skype. That's the same hacked skype 2.00.45, at least same file size and same md5. In Froyo based mr2 roms, it will install and open, but I have not been able to get video call to work, at least not on the leaked mr2 or mr2.5 radios, although, i haven't tried the official mr2 radio.

TCM

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I just tested it, it crashed when I tried to accept a video call and it wouldn't let me initiate a video call successfully, sorry guys. (this is with the official OTA MR2)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just tested it, it crashed when I tried to accept a video call and it wouldn't let me initiate a video call successfully, sorry guys. (this is with the official OTA MR2)

yeah, pretty much, you're either going to have to roll back to mr1 or go to gb to get working skype.

thinknate

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone got Skype to work after the update?

I am getting tired of hitting "Reject" LOL

Yes... by rooting. ;)

The loss of skype video, plus the new data connection drops in MR2 finally pushed me over the edge, into the land of Rooting and ROMs. It was definitely the right move. :)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Why do u want people to look at u when talking to them? I just don't get it. Maybe because I'm not much to look at!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMY2024