I turned off/disabled the Ram Plus on my Samsung Galaxy A03 yet why can't I still use my 3 gb ram..?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

When they introduce the Ram Plus I unknowingly updated my phone without being aware that it would slow down its performance, now that the ui 5.1 is here it lets user disable the Ram Plus, and I did, but why is my phone still slow? It's not fully displaying the 3 gb Ram and instead only still using the 1.6 gb- with few hundred free memories left- same as before I turned off/disabled the Ram Plus? My English isn't good so I'm sorry for..this messy explanation. I hope anyone can help me thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's not unusual for a phone not to use every single ounce of RAM it has -- the system usually keeps some empty in reserve, in order to allow for other new apps to open. Conversely, it's also not unusual for a good proportion (usually 50-60%) or RAM to be in constant use (which is why "RAM booster" apps that try to kill every app taking up RAM are counterproductive). It's a balance.

There are many other reasons why a phone might seem sluggish. Most of the time, it has to do with some app you installed. See if the problem persists in Safe Mode: www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

Also, keep in mind that you have a budget phone with underpowered specs. Things will always be slower on a budget phone.

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
It looks like it's Samsung"s version of virtual ram, which either many makers are pushing, or it was part of a new Android update.

I have virtual ram on my two Xiaomi phones, (which they push in their marketing) called Memory Extension offering 3 gb of available device storage, though they have 8gb and 6gb of ram anyway and I have it turned off.

I've no idea if it really helps, or slows things a tad wgen it kicks in.
I think Xiaomi had a habit of killing some apps, but I'm so dumb I don't probably notice much if it happens often. Sometimes yes.

I expect virtual ram would be theoretically more useful on low spec budget devices. Conversely because of a lower power chipset it may slow things down as well.
IDK, I'm just taking my brain for an evening stroll.

If you turned it off, but it's slower than the previous UI with it on? I would guess it's something else and like a million people you inadvertently became fixated with displayed ram usage, and it's something else as B. Diddy said that may be affecting it, or a setting in the new UI 5.1?
Did you have UI 5.0 before, or 4.x, and is this device new to you. It may also take a while for a completely new - ish UI, say 4.0 to 5.1 to bed in.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...-ram-plus-and-how-to-use-it%2F&token=swVI0IeR

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It looks like it's Samsung"s version of virtual ram, which either many makers are pushing, or it was part of a new Android update.

I have virtual ram on my two Xiaomi phones, (which they push in their marketing) called Memory Extension offering 3 gb of available device storage, though they have 8gb and 6gb of ram anyway and I have it turned off.

I've no idea if it really helps, or slows things a tad wgen it kicks in.
I think Xiaomi had a habit of killing some apps, but I'm so dumb I don't probably notice much if it happens often. Sometimes yes.

I expect virtual ram would be theoretically more useful on low spec budget devices. Conversely because of a lower power chipset it may slow things down as well.
IDK, I'm just taking my brain for an evening stroll.

If you turned it off, but it's slower than the previous UI with it on? I would guess it's something else and like a million people you inadvertently became fixated with displayed ram usage, and it's something else as B. Diddy said that may be affecting it, or a setting in the new UI 5.1?
Did you have UI 5.0 before, or 4.x, and is this device new to you. It may also take a while for a completely new - ish UI, say 4.0 to 5.1 to bed in.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...-ram-plus-and-how-to-use-it%2F&token=ZaAidFKH
Ram plus was for devices with lower specs so if u have one with 12gb ram 256gb memory no need for it , i leave mine off.