I want Google Assistant to play my music stored on my phone.

gwine

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find out how to get Google Assistant to do a simple thing. That is to play music that is stored on my phone, not on the cloud or from a service.

I am sure that, previously, I could say Hey, Google play xxx from my library. But this does not work.

This does not seem to be something that the assistant cannot do.

Any help would be, greatly, appreciated.

Motorola G7
Android 10

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps, select Google (as well as any music app you want to use), and make sure it has Files & Media permission turned on.

gwine

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
Yup. YouTube Music is open. Still insists that I need mobile data! Then still does not play from the phone. This is ridiculous! Such a simple task.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any other music service you can select as default, just to see if the issue is with YT Music?

gwine

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
Do you have any other music service you can select as default, just to see if the issue is with YT Music?

I will try it but have little faith. Assistant will play music from YouTube Music, just not music stored on my phone. So I cannot see how this would prove anything.

I have researched this, for any hours, and have come to the conclusion that what I want is not possible. Pretty bad. I am thinking about trying Cortana or Alexa to see if they can do the job. Google has really dropped the ball on this.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I will try it but have little faith. Assistant will play music from YouTube Music, just not music stored on my phone. So I cannot see how this would prove anything.

I have researched this, for any hours, and have come to the conclusion that what I want is not possible. Pretty bad. I am thinking about trying Cortana or Alexa to see if they can do the job. Google has really dropped the ball on this.

alexa will not and I don't think Cortana can either.

gwine

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
Yup, Alexa, definitely will not. As for Cortana, it could, when I have a Windows phone but Cortana is no longer available, so, dead end.

I am starting to suspect YouTube music has something to do with this. I am sure that I was able to do, what I want before the conversion.

Anyway I am giving up, for now. Thanks to all.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Evidently Microsoft is getting out of the AI Assistant business. "Cortana, open Word"? That's one click.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe