News I'm already doubting the long-term durability of my Pixel 8 Pro

sj0n

Jan 17, 2024
Visit site
Pixel 7 Pro user here...volume button just wore down and needs replacement. I have been 'corresponding' with Google since February last year. All I want is for them to mail me a new volume button in an envelope. For reasons I cannot fathom this is impossible. I can send them my phone and their 'expert' will replace the button for me in only two weeks! Never mind that I replace the button myself daily as it drops out again, and so consider myself somewhat of a Pixel 7 Pro button replacement expert.
Cameras a great, but this is unacceptable design and service for a 1000 USD phone. Regret buying it, will never buy Google again and warn everyone I meet not to, despite the awesome camera. Shame on you, Google!

digital

Jan 2, 2024
Visit site
As someone who has owned a Pixel phone in every series since the 4XL, and have had my share of issues I agree the Pixel line has many flaws they need to fix to get up to par with it's competitors but it sounds like the author is very rough on their phones and maybe needs to be a little more gentle and caring with their devices.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
apparently, Google is content with their level of QC on their hardware. "it's good enough" is the only thing that makes sense (from the outside looking in). it's like a drinking game every year trying to anticipate what handful of problems will arise with each new model.

Reactions: mustang7757

rdmetz

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Really feels like either I've got the best luck in the world or many of you have the worst luck.

As someone who has used almost all Google devices from galaxy nexus to the p8 pro... I had very few problems and none since the Nexus 6p which Google ended up replacing for me for free with a pixel xl.

I don't do anything crazy with my phone but I also don't baby it... slip on a slim case day 1 and maybe a screen protector and just go. I'm able to resell them regularly with no complaints and list them in excellent condition.

I don't keep them for years and years but a couple is common and I went pixel 2 xl from day 1 to the pixel 6 and my uncle who bought it off me for another 2 years out of it. He is absolutely rough as hell and even with case's like OtterBox he's managed to destroy many phones die to his heavy machinery repair work... and even still the phone made it longer than the previous 3 iPhones he had before it.

He has a pixel 6a now he got for $99 and he's completely happy with it.

Performance has always been fine and no I don't game on my phone but do many other "pro user" tasks and it's always been enough without ever making me twiddle my thumbs and get frustrated like an out of date PC of yesteryear would do.

Clean android best ai & camera features and just a user experience you can always count on... I have no real complaints.

Maybe people just need to accept that it's not always the hardware or software that's the issue but... something else.

makapav

May 22, 2012
Visit site
This reminds me of an XKCD comic - 10,000 new suckers born everyday. You have my empathy Author and I hope you find positive recourse.

Google's hardware ability and standards have largely remained unchanged since their first one, 150+ devices ago, the Nexus One. This is the same company that designed a phone with only 192MB user addressable storage space at a time when they had two years to soak in their design on the success of the iPhone and the App store.

Subpar is Google's middle name (and quickly becoming their first) spreading from hardware now into software all of which are loosing ground to rivals.

No one should put premium money into anything Google until it is fully disposable or you have total local support - it's just too risky.

Michele Beccalossi

Apr 5, 2020
Visit site
Really feels like either I've got the best luck in the world or many of you have the worst luck.

As someone who has used almost all Google devices from galaxy nexus to the p8 pro... I had very few problems and none since the Nexus 6p which Google ended up replacing for me for free with a pixel xl.

I don't do anything crazy with my phone but I also don't baby it... slip on a slim case day 1 and maybe a screen protector and just go. I'm able to resell them regularly with no complaints and list them in excellent condition.

I don't keep them for years and years but a couple is common and I went pixel 2 xl from day 1 to the pixel 6 and my uncle who bought it off me for another 2 years out of it. He is absolutely rough as hell and even with case's like OtterBox he's managed to destroy many phones die to his heavy machinery repair work... and even still the phone made it longer than the previous 3 iPhones he had before it.

He has a pixel 6a now he got for $99 and he's completely happy with it.

Performance has always been fine and no I don't game on my phone but do many other "pro user" tasks and it's always been enough without ever making me twiddle my thumbs and get frustrated like an out of date PC of yesteryear would do.

Clean android best ai & camera features and just a user experience you can always count on... I have no real complaints.

Maybe people just need to accept that it's not always the hardware or software that's the issue but... something else.
Man, I have personally had 3 Google devices (Nexus 4, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 6 Pro) and never really had any issue.
Unfortunately people LOVE to s**t on Google's phones, if they only applied the same standards to other OEMs, especially Chinese ones, holy **** we would have dozens of hit pieces like this, daily. Especially considering this guy just manhandled his phone and then complains.
The Pixel 3 XL is the smartphone I held the longest, ever, and one of the reasons is because nothing broke down, unlike the audio jack issues I've had with my OnePlus 5T or the port issues I've had on my S7 edge (don't even get me started about software issues). IDK, maybe it's just Google sending the good devices to us and defective units to these "journalists".

Reactions: Jlharper016

matthew.wing

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my second Pixel phone - I got a 7 Pro at launch, kept it until the 8 Pro launched, and sold the 7 Pro (working perfectly and in excellent condition) to a friend. I've not had a single problem with either phone, and the one I sold to my friend still works perfectly.

What that tells me is that either the complaints about the durability of Google's phones are from people who abuse the heck outta their electronics, or Google has a *wildly* uneven quality control procedure.

Reactions: Jlharper016

janolsen

May 23, 2018
Visit site
Mine would not rapidly charge. Reboot fixed it. Otherwise, pixel is very picky with cables and cahrgers. Really tough to charge via USB A sources at ok Speed.

John Buchan

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have Pixel 3XL. The wifi never worked properly. Then I was away on a trip and had to use the Pixel as a hotspot. That burned out the wifi chip. Then it would not charge. Google charged me $425, and gave me a re-built device. All of data, and pics were lost. Google can go jump in a lake and die. I am over their crappy device quality and their poor customer service!

harish

May 12, 2023
Visit site
As someone who has owned a Pixel phone in every series since the 4XL, and have had my share of issues I agree the Pixel line has many flaws they need to fix to get up to par with it's competitors but it sounds like the author is very rough on their phones and maybe needs to be a little more gentle and caring with their devices.
I don't use a case or screen protector with my phones, but other than that, I do a good job maintaining them. I get to use over 100 phones a year, and I never had any hardware issues with any other device yet.

harish

May 12, 2023
Visit site
Man, I have personally had 3 Google devices (Nexus 4, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 6 Pro) and never really had any issue.
Unfortunately people LOVE to s**t on Google's phones, if they only applied the same standards to other OEMs, especially Chinese ones, holy **** we would have dozens of hit pieces like this, daily. Especially considering this guy just manhandled his phone and then complains.
The Pixel 3 XL is the smartphone I held the longest, ever, and one of the reasons is because nothing broke down, unlike the audio jack issues I've had with my OnePlus 5T or the port issues I've had on my S7 edge (don't even get me started about software issues). IDK, maybe it's just Google sending the good devices to us and defective units to these "journalists".
I consistently named Pixels in my best-of lists over the years, and recommended them widely over the course of the last decade. I also use them alongside all the Chinese phones, so I know the difference in quality control; Google really needs to do a better job.

I get all phones well ahead of launch, but seeing as how none of the other devices break down and I continue to see problems with Pixels, I think the fault is with Google.

Gargoyals

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I had issues with android auto. Tried many cables and some worked, some couldn’t connect at all, and the ones that worked would disconnect as soon as I touched the cable or phone. Didn’t seem to have any charging issues though. Sent it back for a replacement. Bought a pixel fold while waiting and I kind of enjoy it more and theres no issues so I’m probably just going to sell the 8p

chrisanonymous

Jan 18, 2024
Visit site
OP makes claim using anecdotal evidence.
Charging can be affected by mishandling or dirty charge port.
I've had the phone since launch and have had no signs of hardware issues. Doesn't mean anything regarding overall QC or failure percentages. Without those, this is just personal assumptions.

Reactions: rvbfan

WonderProfessor

Jan 18, 2024
Visit site
So sorry to hear about the serious issues some users have had. I have had a Nexus 6p, Pixel XL, Pixel 4XL, and now a Pixel 8XL, all purchased through the Google Fi system with great discounts. I beat the snot out of them. The only issue I have had with the phones is that the batteries are only good for about 3 to 4 years. I appreciate the clean operating system. I really like the dual SIM of the 8. Now I don't have to carry two phones when in Mexico. The folks at Telcel were able to install a SIM card and I can use my Mexican line along with my U.S. line on one phone. Best wishes for much success to everyone with their phones!

Kroll

Mar 28, 2019
Visit site
I got my 8 Pro on launch day, has had a case and screen protector on since. Never dropped.

The thermometer sensor cover fell out the other day :( luckily UBreakIFix is replacing it for free.

Not confident it'll stay fixed for a while.