im really considering this device...

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
But I don't know if its something I really need or would utilize... so I'm hear asking for advice. Some things to consider:

- I currently own a Nexus 5
- I do not use wireless charging, currently
- (if it matters) my personal computer is a Desktop (Windows 7) and Surface Pro 2 (8.1)

What I would use the smart watch for:
- Fitness tracking
- Heartbeat monitor
- Quickly glance at texts or calls if I'm out and about
- While driving, using OK Google feature to voice for text (really do not like taking my hands off the wheel to unlock phone, not a big deal but still a benefit)
- Check time

Why I chose 360 over the others:
- Look, round design

That is really it. The most important features are the fitness tracking and heart rate monitor for working out. I considered the Pebble but just do not like the look and if I was going to invest in a device like this, I would want it to look cool (which I personally feel the pebble does not).

Is the battery life still horrible? I don't mind the charging it daily, but more than day and ill get annoyed. I don't foresee myself constantly glancing at the screen after I get over the coolness factor, just tracking my data.

Anyway, any advice from the group here who have been using it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I use the 360 with my Moto Droid Turbo. So far, so good. I especially like responding audibly to texts, as it is faster than picking up the phone. I have a weather app that I use with the 360, as well as my Gmail app. My battery lasts a full day, and more, depending on how much I use it. I'm not too interested in the fitness features, but I check my heart rate regularly. At my point in life it's just nice to go out and buy a "toy" once-in-a-while, although the 360 is certainly much more than a toy.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input, good to hear the battery isn't as bad as some have expressed here....or yours just works well.

Hoping someone could weigh in on the fitness tracking aspect.

Posted via the Android Central App

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I love my 360, I can't imagine not having a "smart watch."

Once you go 360, you'll never go back to a regular watch again. At least I can't...

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Great thanks for the input guys, especially on the battery improvement confirmation!

I never wear a watch, did a few times many moons ago but after getting a phone I found no need. I am considering to purchase mid march, so I have some time to think more about it. As of right now, I can really see it being a useful device, even if i use it for only a few things.

If anyone has any useful videos to watch in the meantime id appreciate it. I've watched all the top video reviews on youtube, so anything related more to tips or benefits of the device would be helpful.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Just checked Bestbuy website and looks like they are no longer on sale.

Also note im in Canada....even when the sale was on in the USA it want in Canada. Maybe they will go on sale soon...ill keep my eye out and if it comes up ill post here.

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The battery is still rough if you're an endurance athlete, I will only get about 6 hours out of it while tracking a really long bike ride, which makes those century rides untrackable. That said it will handle a 1 hour commute each way and end the day with about 25% battery life left.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
The battery is still rough if you're an endurance athlete, I will only get about 6 hours out of it while tracking a really long bike ride, which makes those century rides untrackable. That said it will handle a 1 hour commute each way and end the day with about 25% battery life left.

Thanks for the feedback. I am by no means an athlete, I go to the gym (cardio+weights for an hour) a few times a week and in the summer weekly 2-3 hour heavy hikes...i may add some additional things to my schedule, thinking the tracking of my activity will encourage more work outs. During my 1 hour drive commute each way to work (2 hours daily), I do not use GPS as its not necessary so i also hope this would save on battery.

I guess when it comes down to it, i just wanna know if the device will track my activity and give some statistical feedback I can work with. I have never used a health or tracking tool, as of right now i only use Google Fit to track my walking...so im not expecting the end all be all of devices and tools, something for a starter...hope this makes sense. Measure my heart rates, frequency of activity and if possible intensity, track my configured work outs, reps, used as a counter lets say...i consider this all basic, starting.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
So after many months of investigating and research I took the plunge and got the black Moto 360!!! Love it, awesome, sexy looking, the wife also loves it!

I did research about replacing with a metal band, the official ones aren't out in Canada but we have the pebble metal which is very affordable. Some online say it cracks, but I'm slightly confused. Did anyone put on a pebble or after market metal band and for a few months now not have any cracking?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
chezm, how is the heart rate monitor working out? Can you regularly get good reads?

Funny you ask. When I first booted it up it kept giving me the error "tighten band and retry", I didn't even realize the plastic sheet was still on...after removing I was still have issues for a while, it just wouldn't work...read online it could be defective :( and that's not good because stock is already short in Canada. After all the updates, all the way up to lollipop wear (5.0.1) it started working. I tested many times, gets it 9/10 attempts which is good, seems accurate from my experience but I've got it tight (big wrists, second last strap hold) because of big wrists so not sure if that helps.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
As far as the cracked back goes due to using the pebble steel band.... I had my pebble steel band on the moto 360 for a few months before I noticed any back cracking. The back did indeed crack after a while tho. Does NOT appear to effect anything on the watch except the cosmetics, so I'm fine with it.

Pics of mine below:
3fd0620fbce01344bc6647bb9c89c62d.jpg

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Penguwin, thanks for the picture and feedback. I have seen many photos and even videos showing the same damage. I'm more trying to understand WHY its cracking, is it because the housing connected to the Moto 360 is too thick and causes pressure when it slightly indents ? another forum users input said it would e than likely happy to people with smaller wrists, what's your take on this? I love the leather but since ill be having this thing on 18 hours a day, including the gym and working out I know it'll end up potentially odour ridden.

AntinOz

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
From the online manual, it looks like the official band has plastic fittings to stop it stressing the body. From the look of mine, with the leather strap I can see how a metal band might pull down on the back causing the cracks. I can't wear mine training (martial arts) so I am happy with the leather.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm no engineer, but I'm guessing the band is contacting the housing and causing the issue during daily wear. Just to support the previously mentioned theory, I do have rather thin / small wrists so it is possible that contributed to it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
OK thanks for the feedback guys, I'm gonna hold off and see if the official metal band becomes available next month when they bring that version to Canada.

On a side not the battery isn't too bad. For this first day I let it charge from 20% to 95% (keeps stopping won't go past, read after a few full charges it corrects), this is the second day and its been off the charger for 20 hours with 37% left, and I've been playing around with it quite a bit.

Attachments

• 33566.jpg
    33566.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 26

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swqRTB5Iw3s

Reason explained which makes sense. I wear the band similar to the user in the video, looking at the dent left on the leather, since the metal wont bend pressure is on the back plate. Looking at my watch as I speak on my wrist I have confidence if he's right I wont crack.... hopefully. Issue doesn't matter whether its Motorola Or pebble?... ill go pebble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord