Improve image software

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey again, another question for all you significantly more experienced Android-ers (I'm talking to you, 2defmouze).

Are there ways (kernels, ROMS, etc) to improve the camera quality? I've used the device, and I do like the camera, but to me every image or video seems soft you could say. It's doesn't seem to take super sharp, crisp images. For comparison, my Droid X2, in this one area, seemed to outperform the N4 multiple times. It seems to me that a software calibration could fix the issue...? Educate me, please :)

From my understanding, HTC uses that ImageSense technology and it seems to be all the difference maker between superb cameras, or just fairly good cameras. Again, as far as I understand, ImageSense is just a software feature, not hardware (though for all I know HTC uses a vastly better image processing chip, too). I had thought the Sony BSI image sensor was quite good, which further leads me to believe software tweaks could improve the N4 image quality.

Any education is appreciated!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am not trolling

This is one of the few advantages of skins over AOSP in my limited knowledge. I wish it were as easy as moving the APK, but the skins have some stuff baked into them to tweak the camera and add features. Trying to get them out would be kinda close to impossible.

I am hoping I am wrong beacuse I would love to run an AOSP based rom, but the camera is too good with TW (and a few other things) and the AOSP camera DOES work side by side so I get photosphere as well.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
AOSP camera software has always been sub par to the snobbish types (I say that with love, it works fine for me, lol), but there are camera apps whose software most people agree will just take better pictures with any given camera. I don't know them really, it's a question you could pose in General or research some on your own.

I can't think of any custom ROMs where the devs put any focus on improving the camera quality.. If anything they'll add features but not much else.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Ah, I get it. I hadn't though that those skins were embedded with the improvements. Makes sense, thanks guys.

Hey now, I see that "snobbish" comment! Just kidding. But I'm an amateur photography I suppose you could say, and I'm well aware how drastic the difference is between my dSLR and a phone camera. In no way would I expect the phone to capture an image in the realm of my dSLR, I was simply wondering how these phone cameras work was it, which you both explained very well.

I'm no programmer or anything, but I guess it's just surprising to me that no developer has programmed anything that mimics what HTC and Samsung can do with their skins. Must be substantially harder that all the other stuff people do with ROMs.

It is what it is; a camera will likely never be a deal breaker for me on a phone, and as I said I think the N4's is plenty good. Just thought it seemed one tweak away from terrific. Won't lose any sleep over it!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I get it. I hadn't though that those skins were embedded with the improvements. Makes sense, thanks guys.

Hey now, I see that "snobbish" comment! Just kidding. But I'm an amateur photography I suppose you could say, and I'm well aware how drastic the difference is between my dSLR and a phone camera. In no way would I expect the phone to capture an image in the realm of my dSLR, I was simply wondering how these phone cameras work was it, which you both explained very well.

I'm no programmer or anything, but I guess it's just surprising to me that no developer has programmed anything that mimics what HTC and Samsung can do with their skins. Must be substantially harder that all the other stuff people do with ROMs.

It is what it is; a camera will likely never be a deal breaker for me on a phone, and as I said I think the N4's is plenty good. Just thought it seemed one tweak away from terrific. Won't lose any sleep over it!

Lol no offense meant with the snobbish comment, that's just what it is. Some people are camera quality snobs, we're all phone snobs here anyway, haha, no judgement meant, and I figured the question was being asked by someone with knowledge of photography if it mattered to them so there's nothing wrong with asking at all :)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit of a photographer at least I pretend to be. For the most part I break out the DSLR when I really care but they always say the best camera in the world is the one with you so I've found myself trying out different apps over the years to see what's best. I've landed on two and I flip back and forth but it's been a few months since I've tried any new ones.

CameraZoom FX and Vignette

The sensor is the sensor and I'm sure you're aware that you can't do anything about that. What these apps add is a degree of post processing to "improve" the image. That's pretty subjective and depending on your level of purist you may or may not care for it. Personally I don't really care how the photo gets good, I just don't want to have to bring it into Photoshop to make it that way.

With the Gnex it's been tough because the sensor is just crap. I got my N4 last night (it's a Christmas gift so I don't get to use it for a few more weeks despite whining to my wife to get it early) but my hope is that these apps make a bigger difference on that device than they did on the Gnex.

There are TONS of camera apps out there, most suck but a few do improve the quality. I tend to prefer Vignette right now because it's not loaded up with tons of stupid filters. Camera 360 is good too if I recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pumice stone