In-store, online, or over the phone?

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
How do you do your upgrades, activations, account changes, etc... I prefer doing most things in store but I have met many who rather not. Just curious as to what is everyone's opinion and experiences.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I do what ever I can online and what I can't do I phone in. Because that is all the clerk is doing when you go in store but if they are morons they are likely to mess things up and I like to remove those types of variables.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I usually always go in store.. There is one literally 5 minutes from my house :). For all carriers..

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I do my upgrades by buying unlocked phones and activate them by putting my SIM card in. :p

I prefer to minimize my reliance on T-Mobile customer service: they have a bad habit of messing things up for me, so I do all I can online.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There is no store. Seriously. None in the entire county. Wal-Mart doesn't count.

Wow that sucks. There are multiple tmobile corporate stores within 5 minutes of me. And staff at tmobile seem to be the friendliest and most helpful at least compared to att and tmobile.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow that sucks. There are multiple tmobile corporate stores within 5 minutes of me. And staff at tmobile seem to be the friendliest and most helpful at least compared to att and tmobile.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

yeah but if I had a choice between stores and LTE, i'd rather they build me some LTE. ;)

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Online/ over the phone.

When I switched to tmobile and wanted them to pay for my early termination fee, the nexus 5 at the store was $396 or $376 online with another charger.

That and when I switched the guy at the store "couldn't" switch me to the 1 gb data line, only the 3 gb data line. Mhm... do I smell commission money over dishonesty? Feels like a car dealership with how much crap they tried to upsell me, so I said screw you, walked out, and called them instead.

And I had a few other lines that I wanted to port over to sim cards I bought online when they had a 99 cent sale. The guy at the store told me he couldn't do it and he had to charge me 10 dollars for a sim card. Magically, the the people over the phone could do it, but not him.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Online/ over the phone.

When I switched to tmobile and wanted them to pay for my early termination fee, the nexus 5 at the store was $396 or $376 online with another charger.

That and when I switched the guy at the store "couldn't" switch me to the 1 gb data line, only the 3 gb data line. Mhm... do I smell commission money over dishonesty? Feels like a car dealership with how much crap they tried to upsell me, so I said screw you, walked out, and called them instead.

And I had a few other lines that I wanted to port over to sim cards I bought online when they had a 99 cent sale. The guy at the store told me he couldn't do it and he had to charge me 10 dollars for a sim card. Magically, the the people over the phone could do it, but not him.
I'm sorry about your experience but coming from a reps point of view, we have goals that we have to hit which is 80% of our customers that we sell too have to have 3GB plan or higher.. tmo rate us every month on this goal and it is very hard to hit when tmo advertise the 1GB plan to everyone but want the reps to up-sell as many as possible! I'm not saying what the rep did to you was right , he should've helped you regardless and activated you! That's what I would've done and made sure you had to best possible experience in the store.. We get commission regardless as long as you are activating service, so he would've made money but his percentage in data would have went down.. Just giving you some insight of what we go through.. The rep should have handled it better though.

Sent from my HTC One M8 via the UnCarrier

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry about your experience but coming from a reps point of view, we have goals that we have to hit which is 80% of our customers that we sell too have to have 3GB plan or higher.. tmo rate us every month on this goal and it is very hard to hit when tmo advertise the 1GB plan to everyone but want the reps to up-sell as many as possible! I'm not saying what the rep did to you was right , he should've helped you regardless and activated you! That's what I would've done and made sure you had to best possible experience in the store.. We get commission regardless as long as you are activating service, so he would've made money but his percentage in data would have went down.. Just giving you some insight of what we go through.. The rep should have handled it better though.

Online/ over the phone.

I too am a rep and at my store that kind of stuff is not tolerated. My store is known for providing the best customer expreince around and people skip past many other stores just to come to the one I work at because we create good experience. Like jlarkins08 said, we get paid regardless and it a very small difference in the amount when there is more data. Sorry, you had such a bad experience. Bigballer, if you ever have any questions feel free to ask me anytime and I will answer them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
In my experience if the store is located in a low income area it is a horrible interaction. They are hard pushing higher data or accessories. With much better experiences are with up-scale higher income locations. My work has me in a rough area with the avg income around 12K a year. I have to drive almost 20 miles to get good service.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
In my experience if the store is located in a low income area it is a horrible interaction. They are hard pushing higher data or accessories. With much better experiences are with up-scale higher income locations. My work has me in a rough area with the avg income around 12K a year. I have to drive almost 20 miles to get good service.
For the most part, I would agree but only because it tends to be that those incomes typically want the cheapest plans and understandably. I think the income level at the store I work at is somwhere around 30k. Which still isn't that good but not as rough.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

CFR0628

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I live LITERALLY across the street from a T-Mobile store. Lol. I still do everything online that I can, then call for what I can't. I see the store as more of a sales place, not a customer service place. Although my sales person was fantastic and I'd bet she'd help me with anything I asked.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for your honesty, but it's a bit disappointing this particular rep insisted that he can only activate me on the 3 gb plan and not the 1 gb plan and he would "automatically" switch me to the 1 gb plan a month later. But I don't understand the commission where he tries to sell me another sim card when I have plenty of unactivated, fresh sim cards to use. I mean I would love to have done it over the store. Waiting a few days for tmobile to ship out your phone is really a drag and then you have to send in your ETF phone as well. I would rather have done it in store, but this experience really pissed me off with this guy.

I can understand commission, I mean I tried to activate 6 lines (5 mobile 1 hotspot) with 2 ETF buyouts with this guy, but the blatant lying and dishonesty made me walk out right through the door. No offense, I don't want to try to make this into a car buying experience where one party says one thing and the other party says another.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Disagree, only low income stores I see are cricket/metropcs and boost mobile. Those stores let you know you're in the ghetto.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your honesty, but it's a bit disappointing this particular rep insisted that he can only activate me on the 3 gb plan and not the 1 gb plan and he would "automatically" switch me to the 1 gb plan a month later. But I don't understand the commission where he tries to sell me another sim card when I have plenty of unactivated, fresh sim cards to use. I mean I would love to have done it over the store. Waiting a few days for tmobile to ship out your phone is really a drag and then you have to send in your ETF phone as well. I would rather have done it in store, but this experience really pissed me off with this guy.

I can understand commission, I mean I tried to activate 6 lines (5 mobile 1 hotspot) with 2 ETF buyouts with this guy, but the blatant lying and dishonesty made me walk out right through the door. No offense, I don't want to try to make this into a car buying experience where one party says one thing and the other party says another.
Wow 5 lines and a mobile internet! You wouldn't have no problems out of me. That's great sale right there! Also, I don't charge for SIM cards at my store but we do have a activation of $10 we have to charge. The system we use automatically put that amount on when activating new service. Its not for the actual SIM card but for activating the SIM card! Again, sorry about your experience and T-Mobile does have some worthy reps out there. I have been in the mobile industry for 8 years and T-Mobile has 4 of them, worked for AT&T 4 years before that! Reps have treacherous goals every month and some reps can do this and provide the best experience like me! And some reps do WHATEVER they can just to hit goals. In my eyes customer service comes first and sales come later. I do follow up calls usually a week later after the activation date to my customers and make sure their plan fits their needs, a lot of times that 1Gb is not enough and I get my commission on the data then by up-selling them to a higher data plan!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldul1234