Initial thoughts on the pixel 4 xl

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I have the white pixel 4xl 64gb on sprint and purchased through sprint. I am coming from the pixel 3a.

The pixel 3a was my first ever pixel phone and I used it for a month. I did try the note 10+ for a few days but had a less than desirable experience. I picked up the 3a knowing I would be getting the pixel 4. I experienced the budget offerings from google which made me even more excited to try the premium offerings from google. I never got a pixel before mainly because of the design I didn't really like how they looked and they always felt a bit outdated to me. I know people have complained about the big forehead on the pixel 4 but considering what is in the forehead makes it a fair compromise IMO.

That brings me to the best feature IMO of the pixel 4 and that is the face unlock. Oh how I missed being able to just pick up my phone and have it unlocked by the time I am looking at it. I have read on here about a few people having to tap the screen or press the power button to get the phone to start the unlock process. That was also true of the iPhone X when Face ID was first launched. Didn't work flawlessly out the gate but improved with updates as time went on.

In my day to day usage of the device, the soli sensor and motion control just doesn't fit. When I am driving I use android auto and the buttons on my steering wheel to control music. I have yet to set an alarm due to it being the weekend so I don't need to be up at a certain time. Tomorrow I will try out the alarm gesture with motion sense and see how well it works. What I did notice when I got a call earlier, is that when I reached for the phone and before I could even touch it the ringer volume decreased. I am sure as time goes on more features will be added for use with soli.

I really enjoy the new google assistant and how quick it works. If it involves something strictly based in the phone it is damn hear instant. I set timers when I am cooking and before there would be a prompt saying ok setting time for x amount of time before starting it. Now it just starts the timer with no added phrases, making phone calls and texts is vastly improved in my opinion. Everything else I do with assistant is the same, I have noticed less feedback from assistant and more just doing what you ask.

The screen is beautiful and I love the 90hz refresh rate. For the first day I didn't force the 90hz just to try out the whole automatic switching and all of that. I don't like to have my screen very bright, usually below 50% at all times. I enabled the forced 90hz and disabled all animations. Holy crap does that make everything that much snappier. I might enable animations again I kind of miss them. I feel like they add to the whole experience of the device and software. I haven't really noticed a hit to the battery life with the forced 90hz. Then again I have only had the device since Friday evening.

That brings me to the most controversial aspect of this phone according to paid reviewers. The battery life (sinister music in background). So far I have only charged this phone on an actual charger to 100% when I got it Friday and my battery is currently at 36%. When ever I go any where, I plug my phone into android auto. So a few times a day both yesterday and today my phone has gotten 15-45 minute charge each day and that is it. With how I use a phone and my day to day activities, I have 7 hours of SOT the last full charge was 32 hours ago. 32 hours because it topped off yesterday morning when I went to get breakfast. That's because between Friday night and Saturday morning the phone use 5% battery and was at 90%. Its safe to say that the battery in this phone more than good enough for my usage.

Another big gripe by reviewers is storage, because I went through sprint. They only have 128 in the black for some weird reason. I didn't want another plain black phone, so I went with the white 64. I have a few more items to setup at work tomorrow, but I am currently at 34% used and I did transfer everything from the 3a to 4. I also pay for 200gb of google drive storage as well. I stream my music and I don't take a lot of pictures or record videos very often. 64 gigs is plenty of storage for myself and my usage so I am completely happy with that.

When it comes to the camera in a phone, I could honestly care less if it even had one. It is my least important feature in a phone. I could care less that it doesn't have a wide angle lens. When I get a chance to get outside of the giant city I live in. I do want to try out the astro-photography. Maybe see what kind of images I can get through my telescope. Its not something that I am rushing to go try at all.

The only issue I have had so far is due to sprint. The pixel phones use the esim on sprint which is nice but I ran into a small issue with texting and calling. That's because you need to erase the esim on your old phone. While this phone was activated and connected to sprint. My 3a was still saying it was in service but not connected and I believe that was causing the issue with calls and text. Because the sprint service had 2 devices active on one line. All I did was called sprint, erased the esim on my 3a and had sprint refresh everything in their system so that it only recognized the one device. I have had zero issues since then and everything works perfectly.

So far I am more than happy with the device it has met and exceeded my expectations thus far. I new it was going to be a great experience based off of the pixel 3a. The jump in hardware specs from the 3a to the 4 is night and day when it comes to the feel of android 10. While people do focus on specs and the latest and greatest of everything. I focus on the user experience of the device as a whole. Thus far the user experience has been very pleasant for myself. Sprint now has a 30 day return on all phones, it also includes when upgrading. I don't foresee myself returning this phone, but its nice to have 30 days encase some random glaring issue does arise.

Is this phone going to be right for everyone, absolutely not. Everyone uses phones differently. That is the best thing about android phones in general. With so many manufactures we have the ability to choose a phone that meets our needs a user.

matyou98

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the white pixel 4xl 64gb on sprint and purchased through sprint. I am coming from the pixel 3a.

The pixel 3a was my first ever pixel phone and I used it for a month. I did try the note 10+ for a few days but had a less than desirable experience. I picked up the 3a knowing I would be getting the pixel 4. I experienced the budget offerings from google which made me even more excited to try the premium offerings from google. I never got a pixel before mainly because of the design I didn't really like how they looked and they always felt a bit outdated to me. I know people have complained about the big forehead on the pixel 4 but considering what is in the forehead makes it a fair compromise IMO.

That brings me to the best feature IMO of the pixel 4 and that is the face unlock. Oh how I missed being able to just pick up my phone and have it unlocked by the time I am looking at it. I have read on here about a few people having to tap the screen or press the power button to get the phone to start the unlock process. That was also true of the iPhone X when Face ID was first launched. Didn't work flawlessly out the gate but improved with updates as time went on.

In my day to day usage of the device, the soli sensor and motion control just doesn't fit. When I am driving I use android auto and the buttons on my steering wheel to control music. I have yet to set an alarm due to it being the weekend so I don't need to be up at a certain time. Tomorrow I will try out the alarm gesture with motion sense and see how well it works. What I did notice when I got a call earlier, is that when I reached for the phone and before I could even touch it the ringer volume decreased. I am sure as time goes on more features will be added for use with soli.

I really enjoy the new google assistant and how quick it works. If it involves something strictly based in the phone it is damn hear instant. I set timers when I am cooking and before there would be a prompt saying ok setting time for x amount of time before starting it. Now it just starts the timer with no added phrases, making phone calls and texts is vastly improved in my opinion. Everything else I do with assistant is the same, I have noticed less feedback from assistant and more just doing what you ask.

The screen is beautiful and I love the 90hz refresh rate. For the first day I didn't force the 90hz just to try out the whole automatic switching and all of that. I don't like to have my screen very bright, usually below 50% at all times. I enabled the forced 90hz and disabled all animations. Holy crap does that make everything that much snappier. I might enable animations again I kind of miss them. I feel like they add to the whole experience of the device and software. I haven't really noticed a hit to the battery life with the forced 90hz. Then again I have only had the device since Friday evening.

That brings me to the most controversial aspect of this phone according to paid reviewers. The battery life (sinister music in background). So far I have only charged this phone on an actual charger to 100% when I got it Friday and my battery is currently at 36%. When ever I go any where, I plug my phone into android auto. So a few times a day both yesterday and today my phone has gotten 15-45 minute charge each day and that is it. With how I use a phone and my day to day activities, I have 7 hours of SOT the last full charge was 32 hours ago. 32 hours because it topped off yesterday morning when I went to get breakfast. That's because between Friday night and Saturday morning the phone use 5% battery and was at 90%. Its safe to say that the battery in this phone more than good enough for my usage.

Another big gripe by reviewers is storage, because I went through sprint. They only have 128 in the black for some weird reason. I didn't want another plain black phone, so I went with the white 64. I have a few more items to setup at work tomorrow, but I am currently at 34% used and I did transfer everything from the 3a to 4. I also pay for 200gb of google drive storage as well. I stream my music and I don't take a lot of pictures or record videos very often. 64 gigs is plenty of storage for myself and my usage so I am completely happy with that.

When it comes to the camera in a phone, I could honestly care less if it even had one. It is my least important feature in a phone. I could care less that it doesn't have a wide angle lens. When I get a chance to get outside of the giant city I live in. I do want to try out the astro-photography. Maybe see what kind of images I can get through my telescope. Its not something that I am rushing to go try at all.

The only issue I have had so far is due to sprint. The pixel phones use the esim on sprint which is nice but I ran into a small issue with texting and calling. That's because you need to erase the esim on your old phone. While this phone was activated and connected to sprint. My 3a was still saying it was in service but not connected and I believe that was causing the issue with calls and text. Because the sprint service had 2 devices active on one line. All I did was called sprint, erased the esim on my 3a and had sprint refresh everything in their system so that it only recognized the one device. I have had zero issues since then and everything works perfectly.

So far I am more than happy with the device it has met and exceeded my expectations thus far. I new it was going to be a great experience based off of the pixel 3a. The jump in hardware specs from the 3a to the 4 is night and day when it comes to the feel of android 10. While people do focus on specs and the latest and greatest of everything. I focus on the user experience of the device as a whole. Thus far the user experience has been very pleasant for myself. Sprint now has a 30 day return on all phones, it also includes when upgrading. I don't foresee myself returning this phone, but its nice to have 30 days encase some random glaring issue does arise.

Is this phone going to be right for everyone, absolutely not. Everyone uses phones differently. That is the best thing about android phones in general. With so many manufactures we have the ability to choose a phone that meets our needs a user.
Nice lengthy post of your impressions, thanks for the write up. I also chose the 4xl over the note 10, but didn't take the note for a test drive. Curious to know what made you return it. The beefy 12gb of ram and 256gb built in storage paired with the beautiful bezeless screen made it very appealing to me.

I have owned the pixel 2xl and 3xl and have come to love the stock Android experience. I even use the pixel launcher primarily as I used the pie and now Android 10 gestures. Launchers don't offer the pill gestures from pie and don't yet support the new Android 10 gestures either.

I got the pixel 4xl for that stock Android experience and the 6gb of ram. If it weren't for my apps being closed all the time due to low ram, I would still be using the 3xl. The camera is not a huge improvement and the iPhone 11 pro and note 10+ cameras are on the same level as pixel. With no more free unlimited original quality photo storage makes the pixel not stand out like it used to.

Stock Android is now the only thing the pixel phones have that their competitors do not. I have LOVED all my pixel phones, but there is a good chance my next phone will not be made by Google. Loving the pixel 4xl so far while having a sour taste in my mouth at the same time.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My 4XL will be here at the end of the week (currently rocking a 2XL). Quick question about the stock launcher: does it show notification icons over apps like Facebook/Messages/Phone? You know, the little numbers that tell you how many calls or texts you have/missed?

I went and looked at several Samsungs and I just can't deal with all their bloat (I started my Android journey on an S3, then S4, then a Note). That and I find that I really hate screens that wrap around the edges. Total turn off for me. Similarly, I don't get why folks are so focused on "forehead" and "chin" size/symmetry. I hated "the notch" but this obsession with screens going all the way to the edges doesn't compute.

almath

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My 4XL will be here at the end of the week (currently rocking a 2XL). Quick question about the stock launcher: does it show notification icons over apps like Facebook/Messages/Phone? You know, the little numbers that tell you how many calls or texts you have/missed?

I went and looked at several Samsungs and I just can't deal with all their bloat (I started my Android journey on an S3, then S4, then a Note). That and I find that I really hate screens that wrap around the edges. Total turn off for me. Similarly, I don't get why folks are so focused on "forehead" and "chin" size/symmetry. I hated "the notch" but this obsession with screens going all the way to the edges doesn't compute.
In the notifications settings for apps, there is "add notification dot". I think it's just a dot not numerical.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Nice lengthy post of your impressions, thanks for the write up. I also chose the 4xl over the note 10, but didn't take the note for a test drive. Curious to know what made you return it. The beefy 12gb of ram and 256gb built in storage paired with the beautiful bezeless screen made it very appealing to me.

I have owned the pixel 2xl and 3xl and have come to love the stock Android experience. I even use the pixel launcher primarily as I used the pie and now Android 10 gestures. Launchers don't offer the pill gestures from pie and don't yet support the new Android 10 gestures either.

I got the pixel 4xl for that stock Android experience and the 6gb of ram. If it weren't for my apps being closed all the time due to low ram, I would still be using the 3xl. The camera is not a huge improvement and the iPhone 11 pro and note 10+ cameras are on the same level as pixel. With no more free unlimited original quality photo storage makes the pixel not stand out like it used to.

Stock Android is now the only thing the pixel phones have that their competitors do not. I have LOVED all my pixel phones, but there is a good chance my next phone will not be made by Google. Loving the pixel 4xl so far while having a sour taste in my mouth at the same time.
To sum up my note 10 experience, the in display finger print is slow, the face unlock is slow. Had to factory reset after 2 days just to get Google assistant to control my home devices. After setting up my home devices in smart things, they stopped working after a day. I couldn't get them to work anymore. Android auto was a nightmare, the phone would get stuck on prompt volume so music was really quiet.

For all the Samsung people who will read this comment. I know that my experience is far from normal. After I spent 4 days just troubleshooting the device to get everything to work I threw in the towel and picked up the 3a which just worked with no issue. Not saying the note 10+ is a bad phone. In fact it is a great phone, but my user experience was less than stellar.

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

Like you, for me, its about stock android, and like you, I owned PIXEL XL 1,2,3, and now 4.
I think the Ram argument is more for the "spec hunters", in practical application with the smooth stock OS, I just havent seen a huge need for more ram.

BTW, Pixels have alot that other droids dont - google assistant, Recorder, Live transcribe, motion sense...to name a few

Google needs ot make a XXL or somethign with the 5 that needs 4200-4500 in the battery capacity department. Make it a selling feature even if the phone is slightly thick, who cares.
Also make the display 600 nits or more brightness so I dont have to run brightness so high outside or in a bright room.

Those, to me, are the 2 main areas of improvement. I guess wide angle camera and 4K60fps would also be needed for the masses, and of course 5G a year from now ....

GOing to Samsung and waiting 6 months for an update is not something I will entertain. THe new ones are still shipping with PIE. Not interested in bloatware or skins like Touchwiz either.

Considered go to Pro Max this time around but I dont like Apple's one size fits all approach for even the simplest things. No doubt its a great phone though and I prefer apple going slightly wider with their display versus taller like a NOTE 10+, thats looks so damn tall and skinny.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Like you, for me, its about stock android, and like you, I owned PIXEL XL 1,2,3, and now 4.
I think the Ram argument is more for the "spec hunters", in practical application with the smooth stock OS, I just havent seen a huge need for more ram.

BTW, Pixels have alot that other droids dont - google assistant, Recorder, Live transcribe, motion sense...to name a few

Google needs ot make a XXL or somethign with the 5 that needs 4200-4500 in the battery capacity department. Make it a selling feature even if the phone is slightly thick, who cares.
Also make the display 600 nits or more brightness so I dont have to run brightness so high outside or in a bright room.

Those, to me, are the 2 main areas of improvement. I guess wide angle camera and 4K60fps would also be needed for the masses, and of course 5G a year from now ....

GOing to Samsung and waiting 6 months for an update is not something I will entertain. THe new ones are still shipping with PIE. Not interested in bloatware or skins like Touchwiz either.

Considered go to Pro Max this time around but I dont like Apple's one size fits all approach for even the simplest things. No doubt its a great phone though and I prefer apple going slightly wider with their display versus taller like a NOTE 10+, thats looks so damn tall and skinny.
I think all droids have Google assistant

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll add to this post with my own experiences. I came from the pixel 2XL so that's what I will be basing my comparisons to.

TLDR: I've had the pixel 4xl for 5 days. Compared to pixel 2XL, battery on par, much better screen, better camera, much better speakers, Miss but don't hate the lack of figure print sensor, ridiculously fast face unlock mostly, Soli is great for alarms and face unlock but bad for skipping music tracks.

I'll start right with the battery life. Reviewers made it out to be very subpar, Even on the 4XL, but I honestly find it rather sufficient. No, the battery probably wouldn't last much more than a full day with my usage, or most anyone's usage for that matter, but the battery life on the XL variant certainly isn't damning. As a matter of fact, I would place it pretty much on par with the pixel 2XL's battery life. I have not forced the screen refresh rate at 90 hz, so if I were to do that it may take a little bit more of a hit, but I honestly have nothing to complain about in the battery life department. I am also one of those people that plug my phone into the car for Android Auto, so I get 10 to 20 minute charges between commutes. Even with that, I average 60 to 70% battery life at the end of the day, which may either be a testament to how fast the phone charges during those commutes, or to the phone's battery life, or to both as a whole. My average screen on time is typically between two and a half and five hours depending on the day.

The screen issues with the 2XL never really bothered me, but having skipped the Pixel 3 it's really nice to see a proper screen on the 4XL. Great colors, no color shift at angles, absolutely nothing to complain about other than maybe the brightness, which doesn't quite get as bright has the 2XL does, although it is very, very close. The 2XL in itself was never a super bright phone either though, so that could be a disadvantage to somebody looking to buy this phone, however I find full brightness acceptable for direct sunlight use.

there isn't anything bad to say about the camera really, it's an improvement over the 2XL, I would imagine an improvement over the 3 and 3A line, so no complaints there. The best camera you can find on an Android, and arguably the best on a phone in general. I am taking a couple dark shots but haven't tried astrophotography mode yet. Night mode images are a huge step up from the 2xl.

The one place I was very pleasantly surprised to see an improvement over the 2XL were the speakers.all the reports stated Google ditched the stereo speakers, that there was just a single or dual firing speakers at the bottom, when in reality the earpiece doubles as the stereo speaker for the top, and they get loud and actually sound very good at full volume. The times when I use my phone's built in speakers for audio are a lot less common than using a Bluetooth earpiece or headphones, but the speaker setup on the 4XL definitely does not disappoint me when I end up using them.

I also thought I was going to miss the fingerprint sensor a lot more than I do. There are definitely times that I do miss the fingerprint sensor, especially for the swipe down gesture that my index fingers have trained in muscle memory to bring down the notification shade, but overall face unlock is a very smooth experience and just as quick as the fingerprint sensor would be when pulling the phone up to your face. With that being said, the face unlock does miss from time to time, although I have found it to be few and far between. If anything, like a lot of the reviewers have stated it's almost too fast, and I find it unlocked at times when I don't actually want the phone to unlock.

And then theres Soli. In my experiences soli works great for lowering the volume of your ringer when you go to pick a phone up to answer it, and lowering the ringer on an alarm and magically swiping it away to snooze it. It seems very inaccurate for skipping music tracks though. Some improvements definitely need to be made to it, but it seems googled does that pretty frequently with new hardware and software in their phones, I'm sure it will get better as the phone ages.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the upgrade coming from the 2XL.

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Some really good reviews here. I am glad its more then just me who really likes the Pixel 4XL. I also came from the 2XL, it's a good upgrade and somethings will take some getting used to like the new gestures. But everyday I'm getting more used to it. I have not retired my 2XL though. That is going to be my driver for my Mavic Air Drone. Back when I only had the 2XL and using it for my drone I did not like the dual use. Phone calls and messages interrupted my flight.
Anyway back to the 4XL, Battery life is what I expected it to be, and its more then enough on how I use my phone. I did buy the pixel stand for wireless changing and I am liking that too. Put it on the stand when I go to bed and wake up to a full battery which lasts me all day and then some. I am dying to get out to take some pictures. I am a photographer with a DSLR. Tomorrow I am going out to Mt. Rainier with my DSLR for some pictures. I am going to take some with my 4XL to see how they turn out.
I did put on a google fabric case. Glass phones and me are just an accident waiting to happen. I also put on the Zagg tempered glass screen protector. They both fit well and I am satisfied.
You know what I really love about this phone though? It's how smooth stock android is and how google assistant is tied into a lot of things. And yes the security updates are important to me, so that's another thing google does right.

Another Happy Pixel 4XL owner!!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

I had pixel 2 xl then pixel 3 XL and now Note 10+. All good phones. I am skipping Pixel 4 XL. Too expensive for what Google is giving us really. Taking away free original storage and leaving base storage 64gb is BS.

Note 10+ is a monster of a phone. And you are right, apart from pure Android on Pixel 4, there is hardly any more advantages to owning one. It's only a matter of preference here.
Do you like having 256gb of storage and 12 gb of RAM? Do you like having a beautiful bezeless screen? Do you want an Spen? Then Note 10+ is what you need to get.

Do you want pure Android with Major OS updates on day 1, and don't mind paying flagship prices for mediocre hardware (64gb base storage) the pixel is your definit choice.

It's really that simple. Pixel is not better than note 10 and not 10 is not better than pixel. It comes down to what you prefer. Both are top of the line phones.

For me, the choice was Note 10+ (especially with the $600 trade in value and $150 Samsung credit). It was a no brainier. For others, pixel 4 XL was a no brainier hehehe.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
That's not possible!
You're lying to the whole world!
You really hate it but are afraid to admit you got ripped off!

Yeah, cardboard is right the sky is falling and I can't have a personal opinion about anything. 🤪😎. You got me. I thought I would miss the fingerprint more but the Face ID is wicked cool. It's kinda like the phone knows what I want.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have a 4 or 5 days under my belt now, here are my positives and negatives…….

+ I like the size, coming from the Note 10+ and an iPhone 11 Pro max the XL actually does not feel XL at all. I was close to going regular and am really glad I did not
+ I do have the build as a negative below but like with the iPhone I do like the frosted finish on the back.
+ Flat screen. Not many flagships in android land have one and it is appreciated
+ Camera is terrific, just maybe not as great comparatively as in previous years as the iPhone is also now pretty amazing (and more versatile). With the regular camera though I’d still give the Pixel the edge most of the time and it is clearly better than the Note 10+ that I just sold. Will be interesting to see if deep fusion shifts the advantage back to the iPhone though.
+ The ability to manually alter the foreground and background brightness independently is terrific and no other phone offers anything close right now.
+ Battery is fine, it is not a 2 day phone but I am easily getting through the day. 11 pro max is noticeably better though
+ Face unlock is fast and just as seamless/passive as it is on the iPhone. Now that LastPass works the lack of support in other apps is now just an annoyance rather than a deal breaker.

- It feels unremarkable. Pixels have always been function over form but it feels a little dull and dare I say it cheap in the hand, I think it was Mr Mobile who said in his review that it feels like a mid-range Nokia and it is hard to disagree. The 3 XL was hideous to look at but I think the 3/3 XL had a nicer in-hand feel than the 4 does. YMMV
- I am missing the ultrawide and when the zoom is only 2x I really think the lens choice is odd. Maybe getting that little bit closer to stuff helps Google hoover up more data, who knows?
- Very few apps support Face Unlock and given the small installed base on Android 10 it may not be as quick as we would like for this to change. LastPass does not help with my banking apps so that leaves me putting my password in each time for these.
- Storage – I use the cloud but do not live in it so 64gb is just not enough and 128gb is just about ok but requires managing. 256gb would end the discussion IMO
- Could be android 10 rather than the P4 but I have had several freezes in the 4 days I have been using the phone, does feel glitchy at times.

In fairness I knew some of my negatives before buying so that is on me. I do really like the 4 XL but it is hard to escape the feeling that it is over-priced and the £939 that I paid feels too much. Others may disagree and think that the industrial design coupled with Google’s special sauce is totally worth it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter