IPX Camera Compare

jre72

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
I just did a quick test this morning of the camera compared to my iPhone X. I'm running Pie as the OS and all updates are current. While the Essential Phone (EP) shots look good on the screen, when you look at them at full resolution, they are not very sharp. Color seems decent as does contrast.

The attached pics are crops of a section of the photo so the detail can be seen better. Overall, decent camera (would have been outstanding just a few years ago) but compared to the top phone cameras today, it falls a little short. For the $225 I paid for the phone, I'll take it all day long.

The first 2 are the EP photos and the second are the iPX

Attachments

• EP1.jpg
    EP1.jpg
    857.6 KB · Views: 37
  • EP2.jpg
    EP2.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IPX1.jpg
    IPX1.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 32
  • IPX2.jpg
    IPX2.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 32

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The links work but it's difficult to compare when the pictures aren't side by side. In the ones above, I can see the difference in detail in the same stone in each picture, the difference in the sharpness of the edge of the same leaf. You're right - the iPhone has a sharper lens. But, as you said, for $225, who's complaining?

Andrew_404

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
It's unwise to compare one camera against another side by side, usually the more expensive or more modern camera will come out on top which will disapoint you. I have had many high end DSLR cameras but now my main camera is on my Moto G5, a budget smartphone, I use it in preference to any of my other cameras and I am amazed at the quality of the images, the big advantage is that it's always with me which is more than can be said for the large DSLR.

Attached. Moto G5 taken yesterday. Not the sharpest of photos, but I've stopped being picky over my images

Attachments

• IMG_20180822_143809630.jpg
    IMG_20180822_143809630.jpg
    998.4 KB · Views: 25

jre72

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
The links work but it's difficult to compare when the pictures aren't side by side.
I opened them in browser tabs and just clicked back and forth. You should be able to right-click and download the image on pc.

It's unwise to compare one camera against another side by side, usually the more expensive or more modern camera will come out on top which will disapoint you. I have had many high end DSLR cameras but now my main camera is on my Moto G5, a budget smartphone, I use it in preference to any of my other cameras and I am amazed at the quality of the images, the big advantage is that it's always with me which is more than can be said for the large DSLR.
I only really did it out of curiosity and so others could see. Again, I don't have any complaints. If I paid $1000 for it, I'd be a little unhappy. I do some photography and have much better tools than phones to use but the great thing about phones is you have them virtually everywhere you go so you always have a camera handy. If I were taking pictures for large prints, etc. I would use my DSLR.

jre72

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
The links work but it's difficult to compare when the pictures aren't side by side. In the ones above, I can see the difference in detail in the same stone in each picture, the difference in the sharpness of the edge of the same leaf. You're right - the iPhone has a sharper lens. But, as you said, for $225, who's complaining?

Hmmm...maybe you are at work where dropbox is blocked (my work blocks a ton of sites)? It's also possible you need a Dropbox account. They changed things up a while back and making files public is different than it used to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod