Charging has been optimised (aka turned off)

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
So here's the story. It's 11pm and my phone is at 95-100% charge and I put my phone on charge (by cable, not wireless of course - it's a Pixel 6 Pro so wireless charging is useless).

Before midnight I notice that it's reached 100%.

When I woke up at 7:48am I see my phone is at 93%. It managed to lose charge while in sleep mode and connected to a charger. How can that be?

The cable is "a good charging cable" (not one of the ones that don't charge well) and it's plugged into an 18W fast charging block. It charges quite quickly when it does charge.

What's this "charging has been optimised" nonsense and how can I disable it? I've looked around the options and disabled everything that looks like it might be related to such a thing.

My workaround:

The power brick is plugged into a smart socket and I've set it to turn off at 2:59am and back on at 3am, same at 4:59/5am. The idea being that coming off-charge and then going back on-charge that might be enough to cancel that optimised charging nonsense.

2023-06-23 07.48.56.jpg

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Search for adaptive charging in settings and turn off the switch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230624-064541.png
    Screenshot_20230624-064541.png
    230.3 KB · Views: 3

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Did you have any alarms set?
I've never set any alarms on the P6P.

"(by cable, not wireless of course - it's a Pixel 6 Pro so wireless charging is useless)."

What does that mean? I've been using wireless on my P6P since day one without issue.
You're one of the lucky few. Try googling "Pixel 6 wireless charging not working" and you'll realize how many are suffering.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You're one of the lucky few. Try googling "Pixel 6 wireless charging not working" and you'll realize how many are suffering.
Did it stop after the warranty period or was it always flaky?

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Did it stop after the warranty period or was it always flaky?
First 7-8 months it was perfect. Then in July 22 after they upgraded the Android version, charging went into this state and stayed there for me until January when an update fixed it. All this time I was doing nothing to it. Then again in May 23 it stopped being reliable again.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Were you using a Pixel stand? I have been using Samsung chargers for years even though the fast charge does not work on Pixels. Nexus 5, LG G6, 2 Pixel 3s and now 2 Pixel 6s. Have never had an issue and I am currently on the 14 beta on the P6P. I just leave them on overnight. Did you ever try another wireless charger?

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Were you using a Pixel stand? I have been using Samsung chargers for years even though the fast charge does not work on Pixels. Nexus 5, LG G6, 2 Pixel 3s and now 2 Pixel 6s. Have never had an issue and I am currently on the 14 beta on the P6P. I just leave them on overnight. Did you ever try another wireless charger?
I've never had a Pixel stand. I'd never heard of them until the issue happened in July and lots of the people affected were saying it happens with their Pixel Stands too.

I use regular QI standard wireless chargers, 3 different ones (car, office, bedroom) all worked perfectly until that fateful Android update and then all failed to work for 6 months and then all started fully working again in January and then all became partially working (sometimes work, sometimes don't) in May.

Only common issue is Pixel 6 or 7 (yes it carried on with the 7) and some Android versions.

None of this is relevant though, this thread is about charging via cable.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
@d4005, not sure if it would help, since you said you don't use wireless charging, but I'll throw my experience in.

I have a pixel stand 2 at home and the og pixel stand at work. A few times I've had issues with the pixel stand 2, connection will be off and on, just doesn't work properly. When I've noticed this, I will delete the pixel stand save settings in the Bluetooth menu and then sync them again. Thus far, that had worked. Not sure what the issue is, but it seems pairing then again gets things back to normal.