Is anyone still keeping their V20?

mitul_mehta

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Just curious who still has it lol this is the longest I've ever owned a phone (except for the Motorola bar phones and flip phones from back in the day). There isn't really a NEED for me, but more like a want to get the latest and greatest. But lately I've been using a REAL camera to take photos, so I don't see what the point is getting a new phone. Battery is NOT a problem if I have 4 spare batteries. Looking forward to the V30s ThinkQ though just for an updated phone. I honestly don't understand it when people say "My V20 is slowing down, it lags and reboots.. I want to throw it across the room!" How can a phone slow down like that? Unless you don't know how to manage your phones apps, this phone still works exactly the same as brand new, battery life has not changed much either.

Are you still using your V20? If so, why? How long do you plan to keep it? What phone will you get next? If I ever do upgrade, the V20 makes a great universal remote controller and audio player.

It's a classic phone and I plan to keep it till it lasts.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No plan to replace V20 at this point. Only if performance deteriorates or some new compelling phone is introduced.
So far only thing new phones have are faster chip and better camera. They lose replaceable battery, IR blaster, and large 16x9 screen.
Net loss for me to get new phone.

True about the screen. The Samsung phones are advertised as a 5.8 and 6.2 inch but since it's so narrow, it feels much smaller compared to the V20.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I do have some sympathy with those who mention that their phone is slowing down. Theres lots of reasons why this might be...for example I owned HTC M8 and always had software and app updates on my phone. Eventually over time as app sizes became bigger with greater functionality my once snappy M8 became slower and slower. I've learnt my lesson now, I have a HTC 10 and first thing I did was switch off automatic app updates... 18 months later no slowdowns feels snappy like day one....

Exactly. Apple got caught slowing down their phones.. but people STILL buy their phones. Samsung got busted for their Note 4 update (never admitting it but 2 of my friends had to throw away their Note 4 just after the update).. I haven't seen anything happen with LG yet. I'm no longer updating my phone however. I also keep Windows Update OFF... it's annoying and slows down the PC... my computer ALWAYS gets corrupted by them and I ALWAYS have to factory reset (useless hot fixes).. the solution: press ctr + r and then type in services.msc and then go to Windows Update, then turn it off. Planned obsolescence is real, just look at the printer industry... perfect example. Electronics can last a LONG time.. video game consoles still working after 20 years.

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If Note 8 had dropped to a reasonable price on VZW I might have switched but crazy how they want full price.

Note 8 shape is too weird, very long and a little narrow... plus that fingerprint scanner placement though.. and curved screen. No doubt a great phone however.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
S8+ is a faster phone and it is a very nice display for video playback.

The V20 has some nice features that the S8+ does not have. Removable battery, Quad DAC, 2nd screen. It's a different experience.

Not better than but different and USEFUL. Also more ERGONOMIC to use daily, much more comfortable than the unnecessary curved screens nowadays. A phone is a phone and they all work pretty well with decent cameras... it does the job plus more.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you notice a significant difference between the two?

I used to have the S8+..

The S8+ takes better overall pictures. Focus speed is much much faster and low light is better. The V20 camera is still good though... I still enjoy 16MP resolution + wide angle. The selfie on the S8+ looks very good, the quality is better plus you get LIVE animated stickers which is fun, however the V20 has a SUPER WIDE selfie cam... useful in certain situations. The V20 is wider in width, so watching videos is better on it since it feels bigger, the S8+ is taller but narrow... so it feels smaller... plus you get black bars on YouTube videos BC of the aspect ratio. The metal frame and curved display of the S8+ gets annoying and hurts your hand if you're using naked... also the FPS placement sucks... The V20 is just more comfortable to hold and use, more ergonomic and practical. The V20 uses Quick Charge 3.0 which is VERY fast... The S8+ still uses QC 2.0... plus the removable battery on the V20 means longer longevity BC you can swap out the old battery. The S8+ has wireless charging if you care about that (I don't recommend wireless charging, it killed the battery of my Galaxy S6 by overheating it), it's still pretty slow though. Samsung also have the docking system to turn your phone into a PC... But with a $35 chromecast or Amazon Fire 2nd Gen you can cast your phone's screen to do the same thing.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I used to have the S8+..

The S8+ takes better overall pictures. Focus speed is much much faster and low light is better. The V20 camera is still good though... I still enjoy 16MP resolution + wide angle. The selfie on the S8+ looks very good, the quality is better plus you get LIVE animated stickers which is fun, however the V20 has a SUPER WIDE selfie cam... useful in certain situations. The V20 is wider in width, so watching videos is better on it since it feels bigger, the S8+ is taller but narrow... so it feels smaller... plus you get black bars on YouTube videos BC of the aspect ratio. The metal frame and curved display of the S8+ gets annoying and hurts your hand if you're using naked... also the FPS placement sucks... The V20 is just more comfortable to hold and use, more ergonomic and practical. The V20 uses Quick Charge 3.0 which is VERY fast... The S8+ still uses QC 2.0... plus the removable battery on the V20 means longer longevity BC you can swap out the old battery. The S8+ has wireless charging if you care about that (I don't recommend wireless charging, it killed the battery of my Galaxy S6 by overheating it), it's still pretty slow though. Samsung also have the docking system to turn your phone into a PC... But with a $35 chromecast or Amazon Fire 2nd Gen you can cast your phone's screen to do the same thing.

Yeah, this is a great comparison. I've only had my V20 for a couple of weeks and still learning more about it.

chennaite

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
V20 is still my secondary device. I still love the overall performance of the device but I'm really looking for the Stable Android O with solution to the screen retention. I even have purchased a couple of skins for that from the Gadgetshieldz. So it's going to be my secondary device for some more time.

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The V20 is now my backup phone. It runs good. I only had it about 9 months before I switched to the Note 8.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I have no intention of getting rid of my V20 for quite a while into the future; it's my daily and I like it a lot. That it's getting Oreo just makes it all the better.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Who said it's getting Oreo?
T-Mobile has officially announced their variant will be "soon"; while the other variants have not been confirmed that means the "heavy lifting" has already been done and T-Mobile now has to apply their carrier customization stuff to it.

I wouldn't take that as gospel UNLESS you have a T-Mo variant (in which case it should be considered as a commitment) but the odds of the other variants being upgraded are now extremely high, in that the unlocked version needs nothing, and AT&T's would need their carrier changes (but the hard part, as with T-Mo, is done.)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile has officially announced their variant will be "soon"; while the other variants have not been confirmed that means the "heavy lifting" has already been done and T-Mobile now has to apply their carrier customization stuff to it.

I wouldn't take that as gospel UNLESS you have a T-Mo variant (in which case it should be considered as a commitment) but the odds of the other variants being upgraded are now extremely high, in that the unlocked version needs nothing, and AT&T's would need their carrier changes (but the hard part, as with T-Mo, is done.)
Thanks. If VZW does it they'll only screw up the phone so I'm not anxious anyway.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Well, true that. I've never been willing to put up with Verizon's crap but then again where I've always lived there have been other functional choices. For some people in the US there are not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hengwin