Is Google Pixel better than other top phones like htc 10,S7,Iphone 7 plus etc.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If yes then how . If no then why???
Even in storage . And most android phones suck after 1 years . Getting slow and hanged . While Apple maintains its speed and stability . No matter what happens . Is it better ram management or better hardware...😊?

This is nowhere near anything definitive but I thought I would share my experience from today:
Went to local Best Buy today and the guy at the Google booth had black XL that he let me pay with for a good 15 minutes.

Quick thoughts: 1.The black looks really nice, like really nice!
2. A feature I haven't seen in videos, double tap the power button opens camera app imcredibly qyickly even with a locked phone. Makes my Note5 camera look slow.
3. He had the 32gb version with 21gb available, but he had quite a few photos and store demo software on it, I'd expect 23gb available out of the box.
4. It had pre-production software and Assistant was not fully functional on it.
5. Swiping down on the fingerprint sensor to bring down notification bar worked perfectly and I'm already in love with this feature.
6. It is very light, and much more comfortable in hand than my note5
7. Sweet lord it is fast and smooth in comparison to my phone AND more importantly my wife's S7 edge (snapdragon 820)
8. Snapped a couple of pics, under the fluorescent lighting and compared then to same pics with Note5.......PIXEL LOOKS BETTER!.
9. Size wise, it is just a pinch smaller than Note5, screen looks definitely better.
10. He was also carrying a 5x, there is obviously not comparison,in terms if screen and performance

That's what I can think of off the top of 2 head, topping this in Best Buy parking lot. Lol

dpsportsfan

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
This is nowhere near anything definitive but I thought I would share my experience from today:
Went to local Best Buy today and the guy at the Google booth had black XL that he let me pay with for a good 15 minutes.

2. A feature I haven't seen in videos, double tap the power button opens camera app imcredibly qyickly even with a locked phone. Makes my Note5 camera look slow.
3. He had the 32gb version with 21gb available, but he had quite a few photos and store demo software on it, I'd expect 23gb available out of the box.
5. Swiping down on the fingerprint sensor to bring down notification bar worked perfectly and I'm already in love with this feature.
7. Sweet lord it is fast and smooth in comparison to my phone AND more importantly my wife's S7 edge (snapdragon 820)
8. Snapped a couple of pics, under the fluorescent lighting and compared then to same pics with Note5.......PIXEL LOOKS BETTER!.
9. Size wise, it is just a pinch smaller than Note5, screen looks definitely better.
10. He was also carrying a 5x, there is obviously not comparison,in terms if screen and performance

That's what I can think of off the top of 2 head, topping this in Best Buy parking lot. Lol

Thanks for this. I am planning to return my note 7 and trying to decide between the note 5 and pixel.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Let's us compete with other OEM,

The Pros first:-

1) Faster update than any other OEM

2) Lighter and bloatwareless than other OEM(Depend the acceptance of eco system of other OEM)

3) Slightly better spec than other high-end Android phones:- Snapdragon 821 vs 820

4) In house hardware and software, thus making them upper hand on handling, managing and optimized the overall experience of the phone

5) Speed is not a issue of Pure Android

Now the cons:-

1) There is better water resistant and dust resistance phone out there that is same or lower price than Pixel

2) Some may think Google version of Android are too plain or less customization than other UI

3) Price maybe a little bit heavy for some people, especially there is some high end Android phone which is price lesser than the Pixel

4) Availability for purchase the device would be a problem too

In term of the device itself, I can't really find any cons compare to any other Android or iPhones, I believe you may just proceed to buy it.

This is a wonderful comparison that tells the most important story — the features you want are what decides which is "better"

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

:)

It's pretty damn impressive, isn't it? Substitute my Nexus 6P for your wife's S7e, and I had the same experience. And I really liked the "wedge" design. It looked goofy at first, but it makes a difference when holding the phone in one hand.

Slenda Mon

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
*thinking emoji*

samsung galaxy note 7 is exploding which means less sales for Samsung

iphone 7 removed headphone jack=less sales for Apple

GOOGLE TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO MARKET THE PIXEL DAMMIT

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
:)

It's pretty damn impressive, isn't it? Substitute my Nexus 6P for your wife's S7e, and I had the same experience. And I really liked the "wedge" design. It looked goofy at first, but it makes a difference when holding the phone in one hand.

Yes it really is....I noticed the shape as well, it was very "one hand friendly" for a phone that size

Abhignah

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Well it's quite different to iPhone 7 not comparable. But among the android phone's it is the best available . I have been using HTC for a while and it gives out on camera and speakers. And there has been no update for more than 2 years now. Nexus on the other hand have been steady and their displays are as crisp as new when compared to Samsung. You might be an iOS or android person. Both are no way comparable. Since the experience and method of usage are way more different . While the Samsung offers a range of modifications suitable for the user. It's not quite clear about google

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Yes it really is....I noticed the shape as well, it was very "one hand friendly" for a phone that size

I hope so.. The only thing that concerns me about the 5" Pixel is it's size... I had the 5X and sold it because it was to big.. My Nexus 5 is perfect and it appears as though the Pixel is about in-between the 5 and the 5X.... That might be a deal breaker for me but I won't know until I get it in my grubby paws..

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I hope so.. The only thing that concerns me about the 5" Pixel is it's size... I had the 5X and sold it because it was to big.. My Nexus 5 is perfect and it appears as though the Pixel is about in-between the 5 and the 5X.... That might be a deal breaker for me but I won't know until I get it in my grubby paws..

Keep in mind, I only held the XL. I can't speak to the 5' Pixel.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Nexus 5: 5.43"x2.72"x.31" Screen:4.95"
Nexus 5X: 5.79"x2.86"x.31" Screen:5.2"
Pixel: 5.66"x2.74"x.33" Screen:5"

See, I tried to tell you those bezels were no good!..........:p

I suspect it will be just fine though, once you get your grubby paws on it............:D

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
For the first time in years, this will not be a better phone than the flagships available. Google always upped its game by the end of the year with the Nexus phones and somehow this year they dont do that! Giving up on front facing speakers and not adding waterproofing in '16 is a big failure!

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
'16 is a big failure

With all the rumors swirling about re the S8 and the 10th anniversary iPhone I would say that 2017 will be the year we see real innovation in phones. Of course that may be 2018 if you don't want a Sammie or Apple phone. We'll just have to see.

For me, I just don't want to wait a whole year for a new phone.

pursuit2550

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I have the same concerns as the OP when it come to the phone slowing down or acting up after some time. In my house there are 3 phones. 5X, IP6S and IP 5S. My 5 X has been the best Android I have owned, before that it was a IP6, IP5S, and Galaxy S4. I went away form Android to the 5S and hen the 6 because the S4 was to buggy. Then when the 5X came out I gave it a try because of the pure Android OS. Fast forward till today, since release date and its starting to act up. Messenger doesnt open instantly. I have a couple of apps that crash once a day. Finger scanner has hung up a few times. Now I have done a full restore and it works like brand new. Give it some time and it acts up. Seems to me that Android acts up after a year or more of usage. Of the IP I have had only one is still being used by my daughter, the 5S, and still just as fluent as the day it was bought. My wifes IP6S runs perfect on IOS10 and hasnt had a single issue other and a defective camera, other wise runs smooth. I have googled to see why Apple is so smooth and never loses that smoothness, havent found much concrete evidence other than IOS is only for Apple and Andriod is for many manuf. I thought about the Pixel, but for the price, I will pass. I have read a couple of threads where members are disappointed by the Pixel. I would just hate to spend that much and have the hang ups I have on my 5X.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I have googled to see why Apple is so smooth and never loses that smoothness

Well it can. My iPhone 4 was a dog on iOS 6. But there is a reason Apple is better with less. They design the hardware - I mean the low level stuff - to do what it does. And they build the operating system and the development environment which is based on low level compiled code (Objective C) - and they build all the frameworks to suit that hardware as well as possible.

This is simply much more efficient than the Java runtime Android uses. If you have ever run a Java app on your PC and compared it to a compiled counterpart calling on system frameworks, you know what I am talking about. This is why Android needs so much horsepower, but still can't compete with Apple benchmarks.

Another thing is the 5X was not a great phone. I have read and heard about too many issues. If you had bought a Nexus 6P I think your experience would have been different, but the fact remains, until Google does a complete overhaul on it's OS like Apple did back in 2001 (which means breaking every legacy app, or creating additional performance degrading emulation for them), it will continue to be this way.

With all of that said, Google has come a long way in recent years, but a lot of it feels like new paint on an old rusty car. I do not develop for Android so it is not a big deal to me. So long as their phones work well for what I do, I still prefer Android to IOS, but am jealous of Apple's performance advantage and build quality. While I haven't peaked into the Pixel, I would be surprised if it is indeed as well designed internally as an iPhone.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I will wait for the first proper reviews like AnandTech but from price and features alone the HTC 10 seems like a much better deal, imo.

pursuit2550

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I read about objective c and Java. Like I mentioned in another post, wish I could have the best of both worlds. If Android would work like Apple or Apple have the customization of Android that would be a phone I would want.

bmbriefs

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered a pixel but am finding myself wavering somewhat, mostly when I go back and look at the price tag on my google purchase history. There's no question that this is the phone I want, just not sure about this price. HTC 10's promo price ($550) is mighty appealing.

One thing I'm wondering about is battery life. I'm on a Note 5 and am looking for a new phone because the battery life tanked after they updated it (also want a smaller phone). I've been an android user for 7 years, it seems like recently the flagships have remained snappy well into their second year but battery drain seems to be an issue that crops up.

I'm wondering if google will keep up the optimization for battery in this Pixel in it's next major update.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered a pixel but am finding myself wavering somewhat, mostly when I go back and look at the price tag on my google purchase history. There's no question that this is the phone I want, just not sure about this price. HTC 10's promo price ($550) is mighty appealing.

One thing I'm wondering about is battery life. I'm on a Note 5 and am looking for a new phone because the battery life tanked after they updated it (also want a smaller phone). I've been an android user for 7 years, it seems like recently the flagships have remained snappy well into their second year but battery drain seems to be an issue that crops up.

I'm wondering if google will keep up the optimization for battery in this Pixel in it's next major update.

I also have a note5. Keep in mind that some of the " battery issues" that crop up, are just degradation from being charged hundreds of times. My battery life has tanked as well, but it wasn't from an update. It was from a little over a year of using the hell out of my phone. It's one thing they has me considering a V20.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootje