Is Huawei supplying security updates for the Honor 5X?

A

AC Question

Perhaps we'll see Nougat for the Honor 5X or perhaps not, but at any rate, Huawei should be supplying the Marshmallow security updates that Google releases. The last security update I have is from May 2016. Have there been subsequent security updates, or is Huawei ignoring them?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I haven't gotten any. I use it without a SIM, but that shouldn't matter. I also had to download the Marshmallow update manually, because it never showed up as an OTA. I think Huawei has essentially abandoned this phone.

blak8830

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Seems like they've totally abandoned the 5X - several web pages on their "support" site that have links for the 5X return "not found", and the 5X has vanished from their store.
Not sure I'll ever spend any more $ on Honor products, as much as I love my 5X.

mrpuny

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps we'll see Nougat for the Honor 5X or perhaps not, but at any rate, Huawei should be supplying the Marshmallow security updates that Google releases. The last security update I have is from May 2016. Have there been subsequent security updates, or is Huawei ignoring them?
Just got an update this morning. It listed the Jan 2017 security update + "other fixes"

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Stuck on KIWL24C567B331, Android 6.0.1, EMUI 4.0, Security Patch May 1, 2016. Geez.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I purchased mine in December and was on the September security patch prior to getting the January patch around April. It's never had the latest patch :(

That kinda sucks. And now with new phones out, it is even less likely that it would be updated in a timely manner

SolarBear28

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
That kinda sucks. And now with new phones out, it is even less likely that it would be updated in a timely manner

Yeah, but if it ever gets Nougat that would make me very happy! Hopefully it gets one more update to tide me over until I purchase my next phone. But that phone will probably be a pixel or something I can be confident will get regular security updates.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but if it ever gets Nougat that would make me very happy! Hopefully it gets one more update to tide me over until I purchase my next phone. But that phone will probably be a pixel or something I can be confident will get regular security updates.

Pixel is the best bet if you want regular security updates consistently. Blackberry is also pretty good

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Only Google and BlackBerry have been consistent with security updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mervy333