Is it Worth Waiting For?

saxman

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I am currently on Verizon and my NE2 is coming up in April (will be my last one I get because of the policy change). The galaxy S2 specs really impress me, but if it's going to take Verizon a long time to get it, I'll probably just go with something like the Thunderbolt. This would be my first smartphone, and I doubt I'll have time to be rooting or doing much customization. Taking that into consideration I want a good stock UI. I know UI is more individual preference, and I'm not sure how the new Touchwiz will stack up against Sense.

I really like the Evo 3d, but since most of my friends and family are on Verizon and I live in an area that sucks for other providers, I'm probably going to stick with Verizon. I get a good discount with Verizon, so price-wise the service is not ridiculous compared to the others.

Mainly, I'm trying to figure out an estimated release timeframe for the S2. Has anyone heard anything for Verizon? I remember reading Verizon was the last to get the first Galaxy phone. How long did it take Verizon to get the Galaxy after the first carrier got it?

I did play with a Thunderbolt and really liked it, but if the S2 is going to offer much more for about the same price, I feel like I'd be getting ripped off going with the TB. I was hoping for something more like the Evo 3d specwise with the TB.

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
i'm waiting for SG2 as well. I havent read any news about it being released on Verizon though, so you should wait a couple of weeks to see if any news get released if you can wait that long. If not, just get the TB.

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I did play with a Thunderbolt and really liked it, but if the S2 is going to offer much more for about the same price, I feel like I'd be getting ripped off going with the TB. I was hoping for something more like the Evo 3d specwise with the TB.

You are getting ripped off with the thunderbolt, the battery life on it is crap, it's still running a single core processor with less than a gig of RAM. The thunderbolt is a minor upgrade from the EVO 4g, all you need to do is stick things out for a couple more months, and you'll be swimming in dual core phones running gingerbread for the same price as the TB, and i'm betting that includes HTC's new dual core EVO 3d. Also the GS2 will very likely hit VZW in the same way that the previous galaxy S line did.

saxman

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm just hoping some of these phones on the horizon get here prior to Verizon switching to the tiered data plans. The Bionic doesn't really interest me all that much for some reason either. If all else fails, I guess I'll switch to Sprint even though almost everyone I know is on Verizon. I've had Sprint before and liked it for the most part. I would definitely pick Sprint over ATT.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
You are getting ripped off with the thunderbolt, the battery life on it is crap, it's still running a single core processor with less than a gig of RAM. The thunderbolt is a minor upgrade from the EVO 4g, all you need to do is stick things out for a couple more months, and you'll be swimming in dual core phones running gingerbread for the same price as the TB, and i'm betting that includes HTC's new dual core EVO 3d. Also the GS2 will very likely hit VZW in the same way that the previous galaxy S line did.

Define "same way" ?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

egginator

May 24, 2010
Visit site
If I recall correctly, the Verizon Fascinate (SGS Variant for VZW) got Bing'd up with no way to change the search back to Google.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If I recall correctly, the Verizon Fascinate (SGS Variant for VZW) got Bing'd up with no way to change the search back to Google.

You could, but it required a special apk and a second party launcher to liberate the search button. Now how bing was tied to the os framework could not be changed without a custom rom.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.

froyotlbw88

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm just hoping some of these phones on the horizon get here prior to Verizon switching to the tiered data plans. The Bionic doesn't really interest me all that much for some reason either. If all else fails, I guess I'll switch to Sprint even though almost everyone I know is on Verizon. I've had Sprint before and liked it for the most part. I would definitely pick Sprint over ATT.

don't forget that with Sprint you have unlimited minutes to any mobile phone on any mobile network any time

froyotlbw88

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Define "same way" ?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile): July 15, 2010
Samsung Captivate (AT&T): July 18, 2010
Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint) : August 31, 2010
Samsung Fascinate (VZW) : September 9, 2010

T-Mobile --> AT&T --> Sprint --> Verizon

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that if Verizon's version is LTE, which I certainly hope it is, it will likely take even longer to develop. I for one hope it is LTE, as long as it comes out before unlimited data ends. I'm getting whatever LTE device seems best at the time before tiered takes over to lock into an unlimited contract. I wouldn't expect it to take nearly as long as it seems to be taking for the 1st gen phones, however, considering that Exynos was designed after the standards of VZW's LTE network were in place, unlike the processors in the current LTE phones on sale and in late development. I can't imagine that Samsung would not have tried to make Exynos LTE-friendly, considering the huge market there would be in America for an LTE GS2.

Balthazar B

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that Samsung has gotten some real world development experience with LTE via the Charge as well as with their VzW hotspot gizmo.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm hoping this drops for Sprint but I'll switch carriers for it too, if it's longer than 2 months.

Hoping for the same! I enjoy new technology to much to keep a phone longer than a year. I was hoping for the Nexus S 4G to come out soon but have given up on that phone. I will give it till June to see what new news there is regarding the Galaxy S II on Sprint and if nothing I guess I will just get the EVO 3D.

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Hoping for the same! I enjoy new technology to much to keep a phone longer than a year. I was hoping for the Nexus S 4G to come out soon but have given up on that phone. I will give it till June to see what new news there is regarding the Galaxy S II on Sprint and if nothing I guess I will just get the EVO 3D.

One of my greatest fears is that this will be released on AT&T first. From what I remember it hit the FCC a few months back with an AT&T frequency.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
More than worth it man.... this thing is the best Android device, latest version, THE BEST specs, the best screen and hell it is one of the first devices with MHL. This device is so worth it, and in my honest opinion if Verizon doesn't get rid of Bing I might just go with AT&T when the merge is done.

Sent from my Xoom

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FABETTTTT