Is keeping the battery between 20 and 80 % still a thing?

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I used to also be a battery longevity freak.

At some point I figured that I'd rather just start the day at 100% but also try to charge before it hits 10% than to actively try to keep it between 30% - 80% which can be very tedious. There's just no time for that. Ideally all phones would charge overnight and stop at 80%, and then charge the remaining 20% during the last half hour before the morning alarm rings. That way you start the day with a full battery, but at the same time it wasn't sitting at that 100% for 7 hours.

Most people upgrade anyway, but if not and someone wants to get the full 4-5 years of security updates Samsung now gives for their flagships, then just paying a phone repair shop the $70 - $100 for a battery replacement isn't a bad idea. Then you're back at roughly 100% battery health for the final two years of ownership. That's if the phone battery is shot but the OLED panel is still without burn-in and all components still work. If not, then trading it in for an upgrade would be the better option.

TLDR: It's not worth the stress/worry for what would be at most a $100 replacement job.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

geemymd

Sep 27, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
20 to 80 or 40 to 80 would bring upon many charge and discharge which i can imagine is not good over time , pro long extreme temperature and gaming degrade battery fast , your going get 2 to 4 years out the battery with normal charging 15/20% to 100 .. if your out to try set the record for how long your battery can last like some of those people say i got a million miles on my Toyota or Ford pickup thats a different story.
nope, battery life is measure in battery cycles which is not the number of times you plug in. it's the total capacity charge since the battery is new, divided by the battery capacity.
charging 10 x from 45 yo 55% is actually SEVERAL times less battery wear than charging once from 0% to 100%. that is even before you start to account for the time your battery spends at 0% and 100% which are the two worse SoC to stay at for extended periods.
If you want to keep your car for a very long time, and save on battery replacements (which are very expensive, to the point one battery replacement can easily cancel ALL the gas savings you made since you bought the car. keeping your battery in top shape, as close as possible to 100% capacity for as long as you can, is a must.
If you can prove your battery health with some diagnostic tools, recurrent cloud service, trade in or third party buyers WILL offer you more for your car. it the equivalent of doing very frequent oil changes with best quality oil, changing oil filters, etc and every preventative maintenance, on a gas car, EXCEPT IT IS 100% FREE
Now if you just want to leas your EV for 3 years and havee it traded in, you could as well just do anything with the battery because its under warranty and it will be traded in still under warranty. An Ev with hunded thousands of miles will probably be squeaking, cracking, seats worn out etc but if the battery is reallly in good health its totally viable as a cheap car to drive. also, if you are concerned by environmental considerations, driving an EV is only 1/3 of the job. making sure you charge from renewable or zero carbon electricity as much as possible is another 1/3 (I mean if you live in WV, get solar and bring you electricity bill to 0.
Making sure you extract as much life as possible out of the battery would be the last 1/3 since recycling is stiil very energy intensive

geemymd

Sep 27, 2021
Visit site
I used to also be a battery longevity freak.

At some point I figured that I'd rather just start the day at 100% but also try to charge before it hits 10% than to actively try to keep it between 30% - 80% which can be very tedious. There's just no time for that. Ideally all phones would charge overnight and stop at 80%, and then charge the remaining 20% during the last half hour before the morning alarm rings. That way you start the day with a full battery, but at the same time it wasn't sitting at that 100% for 7 hours.

Most people upgrade anyway, but if not and someone wants to get the full 4-5 years of security updates Samsung now gives for their flagships, then just paying a phone repair shop the $70 - $100 for a battery replacement isn't a bad idea. Then you're back at roughly 100% battery health for the final two years of ownership. That's if the phone battery is shot but the OLED panel is still without burn-in and all components still work. If not, then trading it in for an upgrade would be the better option.

TLDR: It's not worth the stress/worry for what would be at most a $100 replacement job.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
It all depends if your typical day gets through the battery easily with 80%, you can fast charge to 50% in like 20 mn or less, your are close to a charger most of the time, why being so worried about being at 100% every morning ? I personally dont care about charging every night. I upgrade my Pixel every year with new phone sales because I's the cheapest way to own a phone for me (~$50 per year), but I still like to keep the screen scratch free (its getting easier and easier even without screen protector with modern flagship gorilla glass) and the battery in mint condition. now with water resistant phones, screen and battery are the two weak links. My phone cases on the other hand are usually completely shot. (but google store makes complete refund based on picture and unusual wear/discoloration/stains)
Its not only about stress but satisfaction to keep something in the best shape. It would be much easier if you could put charging limits at the OS level like on most EVs and easy override charging to 100% (like button on the lock screen + voice command

geemymd

Sep 27, 2021
Visit site
The way I figure it is that if there's a day where heavy use that will use more than about 60% of my battery before I can easily get to where I can charge it again, I'd rather have it starting at 100% to give me more leeway. I don't have any evidence to support my personal belief that it's far less damaging charging the phone from 80-100% (especially at the slow rate the system limits it to at that point) than to discharge further than 20% (not to mention the accelerated charging when it is at its lowest.

With my P6 Pro I almost never let it drop below 20%, rarely below 30%, and always charged it to 100% overnight. After a year, I noticed zero difference in actual battery life and, to whatever credibility one might ascribe to AccuBattery, it only showed about a 0.5% battery capacity degradation over that span.
fast charging above 80% is actulally worse than discharging under 20 even if the phone automatically slows down, because charging heats up the phones and heat + charging above 80% are the most taxing on the battery. getting down to 10 or 0% is ok as long as you charge ASAP after staying at 0 is the worse.
BTW phones and cars do add some battery buffers. I see the cut off voltage for my pixel 8 is very far from any voltage that could damage the battery, so I don't worry about deep discharge. About 100% I tested a FULL charge and it takes like 30 mn more to charge completely after youve hit 100%. its charging very slowly and it's completely useless in terms of charging durations/autonomy gain/wear.
But it means 100% is not really 100% and you have also a buffer at the top, although smaller than the one ath the bottom.
BTW android smart charge makes sure you slow charge to 80% at night, pause there, and finish charging to 100% right before your alarm rings. I just wish you could have more control, but for most people that's all you need to optimize your battery life

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
nope, battery life is measure in battery cycles which is not the number of times you plug in. it's the total capacity charge since the battery is new, divided by the battery capacity.
charging 10 x from 45 yo 55% is actually SEVERAL times less battery wear than charging once from 0% to 100%. that is even before you start to account for the time your battery spends at 0% and 100% which are the two worse SoC to stay at for extended periods.
If you want to keep your car for a very long time, and save on battery replacements (which are very expensive, to the point one battery replacement can easily cancel ALL the gas savings you made since you bought the car. keeping your battery in top shape, as close as possible to 100% capacity for as long as you can, is a must.
If you can prove your battery health with some diagnostic tools, recurrent cloud service, trade in or third party buyers WILL offer you more for your car. it the equivalent of doing very frequent oil changes with best quality oil, changing oil filters, etc and every preventative maintenance, on a gas car, EXCEPT IT IS 100% FREE
Now if you just want to leas your EV for 3 years and havee it traded in, you could as well just do anything with the battery because its under warranty and it will be traded in still under warranty. An Ev with hunded thousands of miles will probably be squeaking, cracking, seats worn out etc but if the battery is reallly in good health its totally viable as a cheap car to drive. also, if you are concerned by environmental considerations, driving an EV is only 1/3 of the job. making sure you charge from renewable or zero carbon electricity as much as possible is another 1/3 (I mean if you live in WV, get solar and bring you electricity bill to 0.
Making sure you extract as much life as possible out of the battery would be the last 1/3 since recycling is stiil very energy intensive
Welcome to AC!
Your right about it's not about the number of times you charge it from 40 to 80 as it doesn't complete the battery cycle, but every time you put a charger your creating a chemical reaction in the battery so in time will wear .
My experience charging battery from 5 percent to 100 has not shortened my battery Life because I can go a day or day in half without charging.

Cars well gas powered yes keeping up to date maintenance will keep it lasting longer and battery on gas vehicles usually have life between 4 to 6 years depending on which climate you live in like all 3 seasons, really hot , extremely cold.

EV vehicle being leased just burning a whole in your pocket , vehicle more money out your pocket and full insurance rate always can't have just liability and EV more money on insurance most cases .

Solar you pay more money initially and would need close to 20 to 30nyears to benefit cost saving