Is the gear compatible with Google play music app?

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Can it change tracks and display track names when using the Google play app on the note 3.

Posted via My Galaxy Note 3

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Good question, I'd like to know this too?

Sent From "The Beast"

They told me it's not compatible at the Samsung mini store at my best buy today. Wow that watch becomes more and more useless with every new bit of info I find our about it.

MaTtKs1

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

They told me it's not compatible at the Samsung mini store at my best buy today. Wow that watch becomes more and more useless with every new bit of info I find our about it.

Well they're wrong. The Gear can move to the next/previous tracks, pause/stop/play, and increase/decrease volume with the Google Play app. It can also control other media players on the phone like the stock music player, and my favorite surprise compatibility, Spotify.

I don't think they actually try these apps to know if they work or not. Heck, Spotify Support originally told me that the Spotify would not initially work with the Gear, although it does. I let them know and they were surprised. :p

Edit: Even better...Just noticed the artist and track are displayed on the Gear with Google Play.

Last edited:

semp1

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Well they're wrong. The Gear can move to the next/previous tracks, pause/stop/play, and increase/decrease volume with the Google Play app. It can also control other media players on the phone like the stock music player, and my favorite surprise compatibility, Spotify.

I don't think they actually try these apps to know if they work or not. Heck, Spotify Support originally told me that the Spotify would not initially work with the Gear, although it does. I let them know and they were surprised. :p

Edit: Even better...Just noticed the artist and track are displayed on the Gear with Google Play.

That's very good to hear actually. That makes it worth it then and I'm actually serious.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for this information. I keep finding new and exciting conveniences that make the GG an amazing companion to the GN3.😃

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Shoot that is awesome, I already have about 100 songs in my Gear w a crummy music player. The music sounds ok for such a small speaker but, great back up for walking and not taking phone w you. Will download later today and test.

Ian B

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

If you are talking about the Samsung Reps at the booths at Best Buy stores, I wouldn't take their word for anything. I went to one of those booths, with my brand new Note 3, and my brand new Galaxy Gear, I asked the Samsung Rep to help me connect the two. The Samsung Rep didn't know JACK!! I showed them the Gear Charger and told them you have to do something with this, they said, you don't need that, it is only for charging. So, if a Samsung Rep, that has 5 Gears and two Note 3 in a display booth, also with a large neon sign stating "the next best thing, and displaying nothing but Galaxy Gear smartwatches, and doesn't know how to connect the two.. For me, that makes Samsung Reps in the booths, know-nothings, and I surely would not take the word from any one of them.. Just my two cents.

Kloge Aage

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
If you are talking about the Samsung Reps at the booths at Best Buy stores, I wouldn't take their word for anything. I went to one of those booths, with my brand new Note 3, and my brand new Galaxy Gear, I asked the Samsung Rep to help me connect the two. The Samsung Rep didn't know JACK!! I showed them the Gear Charger and told them you have to do something with this, they said, you don't need that, it is only for charging. So, if a Samsung Rep, that has 5 Gears and two Note 3 in a display booth, also with a large neon sign stating "the next best thing, and displaying nothing but Galaxy Gear smartwatches, and doesn't know how to connect the two.. For me, that makes Samsung Reps in the booths, know-nothings, and I surely would not take the word from any one of them.. Just my two cents.

Best Buy Bud Heads !

Kloge Aage

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

With TuneIn Radio, you can only encrease / decrease and stop music, but it's fine and I use it a lot :)

ThatSourDiesel

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
It can also control other media players on the phone like the stock music player, and my favorite surprise compatibility, Spotify.

What did you do to get that to work? Right out of the box mine, at least, does not. I'll have Spotify playing, then hit next or pause on the Gear and the native media player opens up and starts playing the first audio file it can get a hold of - I never even use that app...

TIA!

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
What did you do to get that to work? Right out of the box mine, at least, does not. I'll have Spotify playing, then hit next or pause on the Gear and the native media player opens up and starts playing the first audio file it can get a hold of - I never even use that app...

TIA!

Make sure all other media players are fully closed.

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This is why I love this Forum...I had no idea this worked. Just tried it, and you're right...key was making sure the other media apps were closed. The tricky thing is that when you plug your headphones into the phone, it may automatically trigger some apps that can handle media (especially audio) and so you do sometimes have to go in and close the other apps, particularly the Samsung music app.

Thanks so much for providing this information. :)

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
All these surprise compatibilities are nice, but do any of you know how to change what it does by default? For example, if I press play, and there is no currently playing music, it defaults to the Samsung player, which I do not like. I would like it to go to Poweramp. It also doesn't control Poweramp even though its playing music. Do you guys know, or is this the wrong place?

Edit: exactly like someone else said here, if Poweramp is playing and I hit Play/pause on the Gear, the native app pops up and plays a song. Really annoying.

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Try force stopping the Samsung player and see if you can permanently turn it off. I have been able to get my Gear to pretty much always play Google Music.

Sent from either my S5, Nexus 7, or Note 10.1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaplogo