Is the Nexus 6 Water resistant/proof?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know whether the Nexus 6 is water resistant/proof and if so what does that detail?

Officially waterproof or water resistant with a tested rating (IP)? No. Unofficially? Watch below... (note - I don't recommend trying this with yours, but it's nice to know that it doesn't die at the slightest hint of rain, to say the least)

imrgoodbari

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Actually officially it is water resistant. Listed at Motorola.com see screenshot

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 126633.jpg
    126633.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 499

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Water resistant with components nano coated. Can withstand splashes and spills and even a quick dunk under water. Not designed to be submerged intentionally like IP rated devices. YMMV!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Even IP67 rated devices (it's actually IP6 plus IP6 - the 6 is dust protection level, the 7 is water protection level) can only stand about 16 psi - 1 meter of water. They may take more, but that's the rating for IP67 and it's for 30 minutes. (IP68 rated devices may be rated to withstand up to 3 meters, with water intrusion but no harm.) Dropping the phone, unprotected, but with all ports securely sealed, into a 20 foot lake, is probably not a good idea. (Sealing any phone into 2 waterproof plastic bags will make the phone waterproof to about 100 feet [or more, if the bag seals are rated for more]. Even a 2 cent sandwich bag can withstand deeper water for a longer time than an S5 Active.)

mwara244

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know whether the Nexus 6 is water resistant/proof and if so what does that detail?

Nexus 6 is water resistant.

I have personally spilled 8 oz of tea on my Nexus 6 directly and even into the headphone jack, accidentally. The speakers and mic both cut out. I charged my device while using chromecast because it heats up a lot, to help dry it. After two days with no speakers or mic, I factory reset it and everything works fine now. Talk about lucky only had it for 2 weeks and no insurance yet.

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 6 is water resistant.

I have personally spilled 8 oz of tea on my Nexus 6 directly and even into the headphone jack, accidentally. The speakers and mic both cut out. I charged my device while using chromecast because it heats up a lot, to help dry it. After two days with no speakers or mic, I factory reset it and everything works fine now. Talk about lucky only had it for 2 weeks and no insurance yet.

Just curious but why do you think the factory reset helped the situation?

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
This video shows the guts of the Nexus 6. Don't see much "water proofing" technology. A light splash or some rain it should be fine. But if water gets into the unit, who knows what will happen.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
This video shows the guts of the Nexus 6. Don't see much "water proofing" technology. A light splash or some rain it should be fine. But if water gets into the unit, who knows what will happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxpd9WDbt8

The electrical components are coated with a nano coating. It is designed to seal the components from shorting out when exposed to water which is what happens to phones when dunked in water. Not designed to keep water out, but to not short out when water does hit the circuit.

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
The electrical components are coated with a nano coating. It is designed to seal the components from shorting out when exposed to water which is what happens to phones when dunked in water. Not designed to keep water out, but to not short out when water does hit the circuit.

So if you drop it by accident into the pool, should you even care about drying out the internals using the rice method, or don't worry about the water inside since it's nano coated?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So if you drop it by accident into the pool, should you even care about drying out the internals using the rice method, or don't worry about the water inside since it's nano coated?

Correct. It would not hurt if it gives you piece of mind. Did you watch the video above of the guy submerging his Nexus 6 in the bathtub? Not fool proof, but great technology for the occasional accident.

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
That's comforting it can handle accidental submersion. My favorite video is of some guy drenching his Z3 Compact in a bowl of spoiled milk.

I curious to what are the limits of this nano coating. For example, would it break down from salt or high temperatures over time.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
That's comforting it can handle accidental submersion. My favorite video is of some guy drenching his Z3 Compact in a bowl of spoiled milk.

I curious to what are the limits of this nano coating. For example, would it break down from salt or high temperatures over time.

Yes to the Sony! Had a Z2 for a while and routinely took pics at 8 feet in our pool. The camera lens got a weird smudge on it I could not get off, so I sent it to Sony here in Texas to have the back glass (it is all one piece with camera lens) replaced and they called a factory defect and sent me a brand new sealed Z2 which I sold for top dollar! I keep checking the Z3 listings on swappa to see a deal I cannot pass up!

Posted via Nexus 6!

OpenDoc

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
The 2013 Moto G had nano coating (along with impressive dunk videos when they came out), yet I see broken ones all the time on eBay with "water damage.", so either the nano only protects it for a certain amount of exposure or it degrades with time?

Jason C_973

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
They mostly nano-coated the externals so once it gets past that it's practically doomed. I might have got water damage on mine, touchscreen failure, power button malfunctioning, apps going crazy (Avast Anti Theft decided to turn on by itself). Which is why i'm checking if the Nexus 6 is water resistant

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Just curious but why do you think the factory reset helped the situation?

Probably recalibration

To answer OP, my Nexus 6 has withstood a bit of water. A bit of water being my hands are wet from showering/etc or using it in rain. Didn't cover it in the rain while using it and the only problem I had with that is it was hard to use (cause of all the water on the screen :p)

Posted via my smexy Nexus 6

PBBennett2633

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site

I dunked mine into a pool recently. Drunkenly dropped it right into the water and grabbed it just before it hit the surface of a 4 foot pool floor. Turned it off immediately and sat it next to a fan overnight. Phone works just fine, in fact it's what I'm using to respond to this right now. Not a chance I'd intentionally take, but they really thought of it all with this phone. Long live the Nexus 6!

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Mine fell in the river while fishing two weeks ago. Doc, our guide was horrified. I just put it back in my pocket, and haven't had any issues at all. I'll never buy a non-water resistant/proof phone again. I'm too clumsy, and phones are way too darn expensive.

jbutchart

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

This is late in the life of the Nexus 6 but I just proved that the Nexus 6 is not waterproof. I made the mistake of having the 6 in my pocket while paddleboarding. Took an accidental dive in salt water and the phone probably went 3 or 4 feet under. I rinsed it and dried it and it is dead Jim. Loved the phone but I guess it is time to upgrade to the Pixel.