Is the Nexus-One Finally the iPhone Killer?

tallbruva

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Here's my personal editorial on the Nexus-One. And please, to quote one of the more charismatic superheros, FLAME ON!
================================

"iPhone Killer!"

If the word "killer" was preceded by something else like "serial" or "cop", there would be an uproar with a clear bias towards the deceased. And rightly so. However, when we talk about an "iPhone Killer", the alleged suspect is laughed at and tossed to the side as a pitiful attempt at relevance. Why is that and how does that help to determine if the Nexus-One is an "iPhone killer" or just another wanna-be?

Let's investigate by first calling a spade a spade. If Apple had not released the iPhone, the world we live in would be a very, very different place. A new segment of the computer industry would not have taken off the way it has, opening more doors to greater creativity and financial rewards. Which leads me to one of the many iPhone killers to challenge the Black Knight: the Samsung Instinct.

Remember the commercials pitting it against the iPhone? Ding, ding! The Instinct browses the web faster. The Instinct has a bigger 3G network (or so they claimed in their commercials). So why didn't the Instinct slay the iPhone? It seemed to have everything just right? Full screen web browser? Check. Touch-screen? Check. In fact, just looking at the spec sheet, the Instinct had the leg up. It was even cheaper then iPhone after Sprint's discount. So what went wrong?

As anyone who's purchased a brand new, straight-off-the-assembly-line vehicle knows, just because you see two cars of the same model from the same manufacturer doesn't mean you'll have the same driving experience. So too with the Instinct. While it "looked" a lot like the iPhone from its hardware, the experience was much different. With the car, do you get the 4 cylinder or the 6? Do you opt for the 15" rims or the 17" rims? Why would it matter? Because it changes the experience of the ride. The iPhone's bigger "rims" is the browser in the form of Webkit. (Instead of explaining what Webkit is, let's just say a lot of companies are using it for their browsers on cell phones and desktops). iPhone's 6 cylinder engine came in the form of a smooth, visually pleasing (and elegant) user interface. The fact that a stylus was even included with the Instinct tells you that the little 4 cylinder Instinct couldn't turn over even with help from AAA.

"No", some might protest. "The reason Instinct failed was because it didn't have an app store." That would be a good argument except the app store didn't come about until iPhone 3G. The original iPhone was nothing more than an expensive feature phone.

"Ok. But this article is about whether the Nexus-One is truly an iPhone killer." And to that I say....

NO!

Ee-gad!!! Blasphemy! iPhone fanboy! (I'm sure there are other "adjectives" being directed at displays but we'll omit them; this is a family show). Let me explain that last paragraph.

The truth is, only iPhone aficionados refer to every new touch screen phone as "the next iPhone killer". When the DROID was released, I watched a news video on 1Cast (an app on my Cyanogen rooted T-Mobile G1) straight-up dissin' the DROID ending with the statement: "But it's no iPhone". They criticized the fact that its edges were square, not rounded. They had no choice but to acknowledge the brilliant display but countered with "it's heavier than the iPhone" - completely failing to point out the reason for the additional heft is the physical keyboard the iPhone lacks.

No, the Nexus-One is NOT the next iPhone killer. The reason is because (contrary to the ignorant talk by your local and national iPhone-lovin' TV stations) - and yes, I did put the caps lock on on purpose - THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A GOOGLE PHONE!!!!!!

The iPhone's hardware and OS is made/sanctioned by Apple. Conversely, Google is only responsible for the operating system. Yes they have requirements such as the Menu and Home buttons but other than that, hardware manufacturers can use whatever combination of hardware they want. This is the reason I talked about the Instinct at the outset. As a hardware device, it *should* have taken down the iPhone but was unsuccessful. The reason? The interface wasn't up to speed. Essentially the Instinct interface provided nothing the iPhone didn't offer nor did it present it in a way that wowed the user.

Enter Android. Why Android and not Nexus-One? Because from a hardware perspective, Nexus-One provides nothing in hardware that is different from the iPhone. "Ah, there's where you're wrong. What other phone has a 1Ghz processor or FM radio? Huh?"

Actually, the Sony-Ericsson Experia X10 will be rockin' a Snapdragon 1Ghz. So nothing new. The FM radio? Nokia has had them in cheaper phones for years. It's true, no one has ever had them in combination. Nonetheless, that's not enough to dethrone the reigning king any more than the Instinct could. So why am I saying that Android and not Nexus-One is the iPhone killer?
Because it's what Android can *do* with that FM radio and Snapdragon processor. On another site I commented that one could create a real estate app that allowed one to listen to a listing in front of a house with the radio then schedule an appointment while doing a virtual tour. You can't do that on an iPhone. But you can with Android 2.1 (on ANY Android sanctioned phone with a radio, for that matter). Additionally, Android's notification is the best out there (Palm Pre users might debate that). Look at video of the Nexus-One in action. On a specific iPhone blog, even die-hard iPhone users admit it puts the iPhone to shame. Some iPhone fanboys contend that's all flash-n-dash. But what they quickly forget is that when the iPhone was the only kid on the block that had fancy opening and closing transitions, multi-touch (which is pretty pointless unless there's a real reason to use it. And no, zooming a webpage gets old, as I've experienced) they proudly stuck their chest out because they were the only ones that were doing it. But Android 2.1's active desktop, multi-colored trackball and transitions among other things are what makes Android 2.1 out-cool iPhone.

One more observation: Android is so flexible that it doesn't really matter what version that's running to dethrone iPhone. Look at videos of the Xperia X10 and it's animations with the Rachael UI. Completely different from Android 2.1 (in fact, it's running on Android 1.6). Yet the customizable desktop, folders, widgets, home replacement AND the cool animations along with the excellent notification are what make Rachael and Android 2.1 so cool.

In view of the foregoing, is the Nexus-One an iPhone killer? Absolutely not. Does an "iPhone killer" exist? It sure does. But it's not because of any specific hardware. It's the capabilities of the Android platform - not any specific hardware - along with its potential and the flexibility it currently offers that can kill the iPhone.

But do we really *want* iPhone to die?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate your perspective and agree for the most part. Your points about the user interface is particularly important for any platform that wants to compete with the iPhone. I do think that one of the appeals of the iPhone - for the masses - is it's simplicity. A 5-year old could pick one up and use it without instruction.

One thing that baffles me, is why every single phone is labeled this way? Who said anyone needs to develop an iPhone killer? Yes, the iPhone is the smartphone leader, the iPhone still represents a small part of the overall cellphone market.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Who cares its going to be a great phone and will only get better how Google is going. The iPhone will be updated soon. But a lot of what you say is true my 2 year old son can use my wife's iPhone but that's what make people love it you font have to be smart to use it

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
The problem with everyone setting the bar at being "better than an iphone" is a little ridiculous to me. Sure, they have a pretty amazing device that has won the world over. The thing that made the iphone such a success is that it did things that were not done before on a phone in a way that was very intuitive and sexy. Now everyone is just trying to copy it... do we really need 4 5 6 7 10 phones from different manufactures that basically mimic the iphone with each manufactures slight twist?? I dont. We need to see someone step up and really create something unique and different if they are going to be an "iphone killer". Really, all this is doing is forcing manufactures to be more creative and put out better products in faster time frames... I say LONG LIVE THE IPHONE... but i would be happy to just see it live in the number 2 or 3 spot!!

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
i don't think that the phone itself is going to be an iphone killer, i think its going to be the massive amount of people leaving the phone that is going to make even more come to other smartphone OS's, such as Android

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
i don't think that the phone itself is going to be an iphone killer, i think its going to be the massive amount of people leaving the phone that is going to make even more come to other smartphone OS's, such as Android

Exactly. The battlefield isn't with the devices, it's with the OS. And widespread adoption and the fact that practically every carrier (and manufacturer) has an Android phone means that there's a definite edge for Google that we may see developing in the future.

With this new generation of devices coming out, certain aspects of the iPhone, like the screen (and even the processor with these new Snapdragons coming out), are starting to look a little bit passe. It wouldn't surprise me if the Apple event in January that is when the new "tablet" will be released is instead when the iPhone gets a much needed update. Give them a new screen at the very least!

CyD13

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
No one phone can "kill" the iPhone. The Nexus One is just part of a a trend of smart phones that can COMPETE with the iPhone. The Droid started that trend.

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
No one phone can "kill" the iPhone. The Nexus One is just part of a a trend of smart phones that can COMPETE with the iPhone. The Droid started that trend.

Now that's funny! The Droid didn't start the trend the T-Mobile G1 quietly started the Android trend followed by the release of the Hero overseas and here at home. It's the Android OS that's going to take market share away from Apple. While the Droid may have temporarily stolen the spotlight it certainly didn't start the trend.

Had the G1 launched on any other carrier we wouldn't have had to wait a year for Android to show it's teeth. Launching on the smallest of carriers was probably part of Google's game plan. Verizon, Sprint, AT&T none of them were too excited or supportive of Android. Verizon denounced Android straight out when the CEO stated Verizon doesn't need Android, it's not a good fit for our consumers. Now look at them, they're running with and partnering with Google for Android.

Blackberry users, Palm people and iPhone lovers all laughed at the G1 when it was released. Now a great many of those same detractors are taking a serious look at Android while a great many of us have already jumped ship.

No one piece of hardware is going to take down Apple's iPhone, heck no one OS is going to take'me down. What the OS will do is take market share away from Apple, for how long or permanently remains a mystery. If the iPhone were to come to my carrier tomorrow I'd jump ship from Android simply because as a Mac user the iPhone works with and fits into my daily life like no other phone on the market can or does at the moment.

The Droid started the trend, now that's FUNNY!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If these forums are any indication, the real threat appears to be towards Blackberry, not the iPhone. According to this poll we only have 3 iPhone defectors & only 6 (1 of them being me) WM defectors. For as bad a rap as WM gets, you'd think there would be more.

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If these forums are any indication, the real threat appears to be towards Blackberry, not the iPhone. According to this poll we only have 3 iPhone defectors & only 6 (1 of them being me) WM defectors. For as bad a rap as WM gets, you'd think there would be more.

Although the margin by which Blackberry leads is pretty sizable, we have to keep in mind that the sample size of that survey is only about 80 people. I think we need way more people to be able to reach any definitive results.

These are too open to trends and variations in demographics. For instance, Android Central may have gained a lot of active members when the Droid came out and people migrated from the Storm 1 to the Droid.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
After going from Android to BB, I can really understand why so many BB people are jumping ship. I decided to give up my BB and wait for this nexus phone because web browsing on BB was absolutely terrible and the entire interface felt archaic. I also think that its pretty dumb that there are no OTA BB updates and that every time you download and use an app, you have to sign an agreement. Going from Android to BB was like going from donuts to fruit;), its not as joyous an experience.

tallbruva

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Very interesting exchange about this subject for which I am pleased.

I found it interesting that there is talk about the Blackberry (which I was going to include in my manifesto but choose to leave out for length's sake). Blackberry is like a runner in a long distance race: everyone knows he's there but is slowly moving up through the pack.

Everyone is so focused on iPhone that nobody even considers Blackberry although everyone knows of it's existence. I agree that most of the defectors to Android will be from the Blackberry bunch. Once they get a taste of Android it will be 'like going from fruit to donuts' (TaeKwonDonkey ;) ) That includes the Storm. The Storm's hardware (camera, et all) is better than most Android phones I've seen. But the experience is like any other Blackberry just with a touchscreen.

I look forward to what else folks have to say about defection to Android from not just iPhone and Blackberry but as our moderator pointed out, even from Windows Phone. Especially when Windows Phone 7 gets released. Then I think Android will have a real battle on its hands.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia