Is the Playbook better than the Nexus 7..how?

ffosse

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Over on crackberry playbook forums there are quite a few people, and threads, saying that the Playbook is a better device.

Are they just trying to defend their devices as - looking at the specs - I can't see how the Playbook could be a better tablet?

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
The Playbook in no way shape or form is better than most tablets on the market.
Blackberry appworld is a barren ghost town sure you can port Android apps to it so why not just get an Android tablet?
Playbook hardware is two years old and the OS is running is not competitive with other OS's on the market.
You can only get the most out of a Playbook if you bridge it to a Blackberry device.
It's human nature to defend a device you purchased and that did poorly in sales, isn't popular and can't even be given away.
People over at Crackberry are probably the worst apologists of any platform and I wouldn't take anything they say about the Playbook serious as it was an embarrasment and a flop for RIM.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry appworld is a barren ghost town sure you can port Android apps to it so why not just get an Android tablet?
Playbook hardware is two years old and the OS is running is not competitive with other OS's on the market.
You can only get the most out of a Playbook if you bridge it to a Blackberry device.
It's human nature to defend a device you purchased and that did poorly in sales, isn't popular and can't even be given away.
People over at Crackberry are probably the worst apologists of any platform and I wouldn't take anything they say about the Playbook serious as it was an embarrasment and a flop for RIM.

Aside from the last sentence (I've never gone there lol), this is 100% accurate. They're justifying buying a device for an unsupported an chaotic platform.

ffosse

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site

Well, thank you..people have been telling me I should buy a Playbook because the 64Gb version is just ?130 or something.. Firesale?

It looks outdated and fugly, I think.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, thank you..people have been telling me I should buy a Playbook because the 64Gb version is just ?130 or something.. Firesale?

It looks outdated and fugly, I think.

The fact that it's selling so cheap an is still available should tell you that it's not worth your money. I suggest you get a Nexus 7 as it's the best value for your money BUT you'll be happy with any tablet you get that's not a Playbook. I would even recommend an iPad over a Playbook.

ffosse

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPod Touch and quite like iOs, but am sure I'd find an iPad just too heavy (and pricey)

I've got an Android Sony phone running ICS, so am sure I could get on with the Nexus 7.. I can't quite believe that crackberry place, though, people saying that they're running their Playbooks right next to a Nexus 7 and that the Playbook is better... Hmmm.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry is a complete mess now. Unless you have extra money and just like having random devices around, then its something to play with. Not to mention you would get the most of of it if you still have a BB phone but still, outdated. The sound is nice and has a solid build but if you are looking for a main 7" device, I would shy away from it.

We have one in the house that is mostly a paper weight. Then we do have a HP touchpad (another paper weight), asus transformer and N7. I'm selling my KF since the N7 replaces it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

djnshores

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Over on crackberry playbook forums there are quite a few people, and threads, saying that the Playbook is a better device.

Are they just trying to defend their devices as - looking at the specs - I can't see how the Playbook could be a better tablet?

First, what are your doing surfing the Playbook forum?

I bought a Playbook when the price dropped to $199. I have since sold it. I can't fault the hardware of the PB. The HD rear facing camera was awesome. The operating system, QNX, was top notch - smooth, fast, and easy to use. It had HDMI out.

What killed the PB for me was the lack of apps and the high prices of the ones in the Blackberry store. I waited several months for an OS update that would allow me to run Android apps, but the kicker was you were limited to the ones in the app store, unless you knew how to sideload them. I didn't and it was frustrating.

I think the Nexus 7 is still one of the best 7" tablets available. The new Kindle HD looks pretty good too, but I would get the larger model if I were to switch. There are plenty of apps in the Google app store. Jelly Bean OS is smooth. But what I use the most is the voice recognition commands. I use it all the time for searches, setting an alarm, and dictating email messages. Dictating an email if faster than typing and amazingly accurate.

If you have a Nexus 7, there's no need to visit the PB forum unless you're into trolling.

ffosse

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
First, what are your doing surfing the Playbook forum?

I bought a Playbook when the price dropped to $199. I have since sold it. I can't fault the hardware of the PB. The HD rear facing camera was awesome. The operating system, QNX, was top notch - smooth, fast, and easy to use. It had HDMI out.

What killed the PB for me was the lack of apps and the high prices of the ones in the Blackberry store. I waited several months for an OS update that would allow me to run Android apps, but the kicker was you were limited to the ones in the app store, unless you knew how to sideload them. I didn't and it was frustrating.

I think the Nexus 7 is still one of the best 7" tablets available. The new Kindle HD looks pretty good too, but I would get the larger model if I were to switch. There are plenty of apps in the Google app store. Jelly Bean OS is smooth. But what I use the most is the voice recognition commands. I use it all the time for searches, setting an alarm, and dictating email messages. Dictating an email if faster than typing and amazingly accurate.

If you have a Nexus 7, there's no need to visit the PB forum unless you're into trolling.

Well, I went there because someone recommended the 64Gb Playbook at its Firesale price (although I'm not sure I would need 64Gb as I tend to delete films after I've watched them; and I wouldn't put much music on a tablet, already owning a 64Gb iPod Touch).

But, looking at the specs of the 2 devices and reading threads here (reading threads over there felt a bit like East Germany in the 1970s) I'm sure the Nexus 7 is indeed better. I'm going to get one tomorrow.

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Believe it or not, I think the Playbook has the potential to still be the best tablet on the market in regards to mobile OS's. I had one for a whole year. It's so intuitive and the multi tasking was awesome. Even though it's old, it'll smoke any current OS if the apps were there. QNX is the Sh!t.

The ONLY issue with the PB, is the lack of great mainstream apps. That's about it, an no widgets just like iOS. That's it! I dreaded getting rid of mines, but the lack of mainstream apps forced me to go Android for Netflix, HBOgo, and Skype and many more. Hopefully, RIM gets it right with BBOS 10, but I gave RIM too many chances, starting with the first BB Storm. I refuse to get let down an lied to again... As of right now, I'm loving Android ICS an higher.. I hated gingerbread an any other version before, it was horrid an the resolution and GUI looked like a cheap tablet's, like non named brand tabs regardless of phone manufacturer.

If Android had TRUE multitasking, they would CRUSH Apple. But for now, I am a new and converted Fandroid. :)

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Since I have both the N7 and the Playbook, I follow both forums for amusement and sometimes useful information. I have had the 64GB Playbook for 10 Months and the N7 for two months and I enjoy using both. Of course on either forum the predominant posting concerning the other device is uncomplimentary often to the point of being vitriolic. The Playbook has three "hardware" advantages over the N7: HDMI port and the magnetic fast charger (both of which the N7 may get with the 4 pogo pins) and the rear camera. Of course there is much more software available for the N7 and the hardware is over a year newer. The PB operating system is smooth but a little slower than N7. BB10? Android has greatly improved over Gingerbread partly due to the efforts of Duarte who was involved with webOS the operating system for my obsolete HPTP. If you are happy with your device fine and if it makes you happy to knock the other fellows choice that's your problem.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It's sad to see the state that Rim is in. Back in the day, I loved my blackberry. Then they got content, android and iOS crept out and dominated. Now they have dug themselves a hole so deep, they may never recover.

The PB had potential, except as mentioned, software development is lacking. Everyone flocked to what was making money. I was also sad to see HP dump webOS. Even though I got it during the fire sale and knew it was on its way out, it still had potential. Open source now but its been sitting in the corner collecting dust...

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think an objective look at the reviews shows that the nexus s the best non-Apple tablet on the market. I even think a strong case can be made for calling it the best of all tablets. however, I would never tell somebody that they are wrong to enjoy the tablet that they have.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
The PlayBook is a failure as far as sales go, but the OS is pretty incredible. Want proof of that? Look at my PlayBook, and my Nexus 7 side by side, The PlayBook with a dozen Android apps running at once and the Nexus 7 with one and a half Android apps running at once. Android apps multitask better on BlackBerry OS than on Android. You want widgets on your PlayBook? Then get Go launcher or Apex and your favorite widget apps and set your home screens how you want. Android's major advantage at this point is the mainstream apps. The OS itself is kinda lame though. The PlayBook and Dev Alpha treat Android like it is just another fart app.

Look at the pictures below. The first picture shows 4 opened Android apps, including Google Maps, But it's actually 4 instances of the Android OS running. In the second pic I took all 4 apps back to the launcher and the home screens so you can see that. The same 4 opened apps, just taken back to the home screen.

Let's see Android try to do something like that. Most Android devices have trouble running one instance of Android. PlayBook can handle several. lol It's insane how capable RIM's new OS is.

IMG_00000132.pngIMG_00000133.png

swyost

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
The PlayBook has a vastly superior OS, but (unfortunately) very poor app support. Quite frankly, having owned a PlayBook and a Transformer Prime, the apologists are as thick and heavy over here as there. People on this side have access to a greater array of hardware but constantly excuse the clunky design and extremely poor memory/resource management in even the most recent Google OS. I have yet to handle any Android device that will not at some point lag whereas I could not make the PlayBook even if I tried. On other fronts, PlayBook multitasking is second only to the soon to be released Windows tablets; the interface is a much more intuitive gesture based system; the web browser is better than anything on any Android device but limited by very poor favorites organization; and performance nearly two years later is still better than most quad core Android tablets. It is hard though to get around the weak app ecosystem. As a business oriented device, the gaps on other app fronts are less of an issue and if one owns a BlackBerry, Bridge makes it a winning business option. If you want apps like Netflix and Skype, however they do not exist (same for many other Android staples). FWIW, the PlayBook was killed by RIM's botched launch, poor marketing, over pricing, and numerous delays for OS upgrades. If it had access to a comparable app ecosystem as any Android tablet though, there would be no comparison. It would make the Nexus 7 (for instance) look like a cheap plastic toy. The reality is that is not the case and Android tablets have access to a more robust array of apps. Factoring that in, the Nexus 7 becomes much more attractive even though neither its overall design nor production quality is in the same league....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel