Is there still a benefit to having a "Grandfathered" Unlimited data plan?

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I am still on an old "Grandfathered" unlimited data plan for Verizon. I am on a month to month service (no contract). In the past, this was advantageous because there were no data usage caps. But as time has passed, I am not sure if this is still the case.

Does anyone know if there is still any advantage to having a "Grandfathered" unlimited data plan? (this plan is probably over 10 years old by now).

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
re: Is there still a benefit to having a "Grandfathered" Unlimited data plan?

I guess compare its cost with the new unlimited plans and see what restrictions or differences there are among them which would be important to different people for different reasons.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I am still on an old "Grandfathered" unlimited data plan for Verizon. I am on a month to month service (no contract). In the past, this was advantageous because there were no data usage caps. But as time has passed, I am not sure if this is still the case.

Does anyone know if there is still any advantage to having a "Grandfathered" unlimited data plan? (this plan is probably over 10 years old by now).

What would it cost you to move to the current plan(s)? And is that cost more or less?

Being on the grandfathered UDP can (does?) also prevent that line from taking advantage of upgrade deals on a Device Payment Plan.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

It's been a few years since I've seen the old grandfathered plan but the only advantage it had was unlimited data while having limited minutes, no mobile hotspot, no device financing or discounts, and in some cases cost more. It only made sense to keep the plan for the few that used large amounts of data.

Currently you'd need to compare costs but you are probably better off on a modern plan.

furbymac

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site

For me it ended up being cheaper to go to the new plan and I gained unlimited everything and 15gb of tether that I never use

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I was grandfather in too but after a couple of years, I found my usage was not worth it anymore and left it. My suggestion would be to check your usage, compare prices with the newer plans and see if it is worth it for you.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I was on the old grandfathered unlimited plan for many years. Finally dumped it when the District Manager gave me five hundred dollars of instant credit plus another two hundred and ten bucks credit towards a Note 5. Done deal! Life moves on.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Still have mine.

Device Payment Plan is available, FYI. And I did the math...for my single device, I save nothing by moving. Limited voice/text isn't a concern. I toggle hotspot on and off as needed (on the account) and pay prorated cost...totally worth it when everyone needs to piggyback off me when we travel.

No plans to change, without significant incentive anyway.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Still have mine.

Device Payment Plan is available, FYI. And I did the math...for my single device, I save nothing by moving. Limited voice/text isn't a concern. I toggle hotspot on and off as needed (on the account) and pay prorated cost...totally worth it when everyone needs to piggyback off me when we travel.

No plans to change, without significant incentive anyway.

When I still worked at Verizon we didn't allow new contracts on the grandfathered plan and when device payments came about that wasn't allowed either. I wonder when Verizon changed that.

They might get you to switch eventually if you care about 5G, it seems they only allow that on the newest plans they currently offer.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
When I still worked at Verizon we didn't allow new contracts on the grandfathered plan and when device payments came about that wasn't allowed either. I wonder when Verizon changed that.

They might get you to switch eventually if you care about 5G, it seems they only allow that on the newest plans they currently offer.
I think as long as you bring your own device they let you stay on the grandfathered. I switch a couple of years ago because the newer unlimited plans were cheaper even losing my employee corporate discount.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I think as long as you bring your own device they let you stay on the grandfathered. I switch a couple of years ago because the newer unlimited plans were cheaper even losing my employee corporate discount.

You could bring a device or buy one full retail, they just wouldn't give any kind of discount or financing. It was strange watching someone who used on average 2Gb of data a month not only pay more for their calling plan monthly because they needed unlimited talk shell out $700 or more for a new iPhone instead of signing a contract to get the phone significantly cheaper and save them money monthly because they might need the data some day. I saw it on a regular basis. Lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You could bring a device or buy one full retail, they just wouldn't give any kind of discount or financing. It was strange watching someone who used on average 2Gb of data a month not only pay more for their calling plan monthly because they needed unlimited talk shell out $700 or more for a new iPhone instead of signing a contract to get the phone significantly cheaper and save them money monthly because they might need the data some day. I saw it on a regular basis. Lol
Actually, since I'm working from home theses days and it might go on for awhile...I'm mostly on WiFi which is also faster. I should probably rethink my data plan.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Back during the Ingress days it was nice to have a grandfathered unlimited plan, and several battery packs.

Today I have gig speeds at work and home so the only time I’m using LTE is in the car for music and gps, neither of which really use much data.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Newer unlimited plans depending on which one you choose?
You will get access to 5G.
15GB mobile Hotspot
Free Apple music and 1 year of Disney+.
Legacy UDP
You get unlimited data no throttle. However, Video streaming to smart phone is throttled to 720p like 2 of the above plans.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I've had my plan for years now. Comes with hotspots for each unit, international and unlimited everything. $135 includes taxes for 3 phone lines plus a tablet line. I'm happy.

phillthedrill

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I decided not to switch bc Verizon gave everyone unlimited minutes last year to old, grandfathered plans and I've sent and received several texts on the regular line and it appears they aren't charging for that either. I didn't have a texting plan, just turned off texting on the regular plan and used Google Voice for texting. I just got an S22 Ultra and turned off 5G as it saves battery, and I could care less about having the ultimate high speed. I have 400Mps up and down at home if I need speed.

mutant777

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
interesting that they are not charging for texting. I've been using voice for texting for years. I'll try Messages and see what happens. One odd thing I'm beginning to notice is that when my phone is on 5G, teathering seems to not work. When I disable 5G, teathering works again. I will do some more testing to verify this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia