Is this phone 4g & 4gLTE?

thomasr1950

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Sprint told me my EVO LTE is not 4g just 4gLTE. I thought it would be 4g capable as well. I guess i was misled. Seems like they would do away with 4g in the ads & just say LTE. No LTE in my area anytime soon. I'm dissapointed that i did away with my EVO Shift which was 4g capable

bryanw504

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The evo lte is 4G capable just not wiimax 4G I don't think they lied to you either you don't understand the terminology or they didn't understand the question that you were asking.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
4G means 4th Generation....for simplicity's sake, there are 2 standards of 4G: WiMax and LTE
Sprint partnered with Clearwire (an external company who built their own WiMax network) to provide their first 4G connectivity. Sprint doesn't own the WiMax network, they simply have a contract to use it (for a couple more years). All of the other major US carriers have chosen to go with the LTE standard for their 4G networks. Sprint decided to build their own 4G network instead of using Clearwire's...and they also chose to go with LTE. Clearwire's WiMax network will be shut down in several years and LTE is the future. Clearwire's WiMax is not being expanded further so it's footprint is relatively small.
Sprint is aggressively building their own 4G LTE network. Progress on this network's coverage can be found at: Community Blog List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
Sprint's newest phones are all 4G LTE. It looks like they are done introducing new phones that are WiMax capable. No Sprint phones are capable of both WiMax and LTE.

Vysse

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
4G means 4th Generation....for simplicity's sake, there are 2 standards of 4G: WiMax and LTE
Sprint partnered with Clearwire (an external company who built their own WiMax network) to provide their first 4G connectivity. Sprint doesn't own the WiMax network, they simply have a contract to use it (for a couple more years). All of the other major US carriers have chosen to go with the LTE standard for their 4G networks. Sprint decided to build their own 4G network instead of using Clearwire's...and they also chose to go with LTE. Clearwire's WiMax network will be shut down in several years and LTE is the future. Clearwire's WiMax is not being expanded further so it's footprint is relatively small.
Sprint is aggressively building their own 4G LTE network. Progress on this network's coverage can be found at: Community Blog List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
Sprint's newest phones are all 4G LTE. It looks like they are done introducing new phones that are WiMax capable. No Sprint phones are capable of both WiMax and LTE.

This is all correct except that WiMAX is no longer being built. IIRC they're finishing the ones they've started and that's it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums