Is V20 going to get upgraded past 7.0? Battery life better in 7.1?

RomeSC

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a brand new LG v20 last week. it was $480 at T-Mobile and I'm really happy with it so far.

The only real downside is that my battery life seems subpar. I take it off the charger at 7am, but by 7pm its usually around 20% battery with only 2-3 hrs screen on time. This is about 10-15% worse than my 2 year old Note 4. I have heard that android 7.1 improves battery life significantly so I am eager to get it.

What is the current theory about the V20 getting a real update to the software? Still on basically launch software after 9 months? I'm thinking they are intentionally holding off the update until at least a month after the LG v30 launch. Make people who want the 7.1.2 software upgrade to the new device and inflate sales. I hope Im wrong, but there doesn't appear to be any other reason that the V20 doesn't have the 7.1 update yet since 7.1.1 has been around since October 2016. Or will they skip 7.1 altogether and wait until the next major android release?

What do you guys think?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a brand new LG v20 last week. it was $480 at T-Mobile and I'm really happy with it so far.

The only real downside is that my battery life seems subpar. I take it off the charger at 7am, but by 7pm its usually around 20% battery with only 2-3 hrs screen on time. This is about 10-15% worse than my 2 year old Note 4. I have heard that android 7.1 improves battery life significantly so I am eager to get it.

What is the current theory about the V20 getting a real update to the software? Still on basically launch software after 9 months? I'm thinking they are intentionally holding off the update until at least a month after the LG v30 launch. Make people who want the 7.1.2 software upgrade to the new device and inflate sales. I hope Im wrong, but there doesn't appear to be any other reason that the V20 doesn't have the 7.1 update yet since 7.1.1 has been around since October 2016. Or will they skip 7.1 altogether and wait until the next major android release?

What do you guys think?
I can't guarantee it but it should get 8.0.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't bother myself with OS updates. For one, I buy devices for what they have, not what they may have in the future because that is always uncertain. Two, they often remove some functionality I want and use with updates.

The V20 does have fairly good battery life in general, and I'm wondering if you have a lot going on in the background. You said you just bought it, so how old is it? If you've only had it a few days, there's two things that could be going on. The battery may take several cycles to break in and achieve full capacity. The OS also can take a few days to settle in as it works through all of its optimizations.

If after a week things don't improve, then I'd stay looking into things like a rogue app or having a tone doing background syncing and such.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
V20 will get OS Updates but LONG time after the V30

there must be a reason to make people downgrade from V20 to V30 and throw 700.00$ after LG

only one reason I see buying the V30:

latest OS Version Android O and more Megapixels on the WideAngle Camera.

But giving up all the great features of the V20 from second screen over removable battery over IR Blaster ?

but I don't care about much ,my Android N (south Asia firmware) is very stable and July security patched.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

there must be a reason to make people downgrade from V20 to V30 and throw 700.00$ after LG

But giving up all the great features of the V20 from second screen over removable battery over IR Blaster ?

but I don't care about much ,my Android N (south Asia firmware) is very stable and July security patched.

Just my take on things:
As a big fan of the V20, the removable battery and the second screen, I don't see the V30 as a downgrade unless they toss out the multimedia powerhouse features.

I don't like the glass back despite its good looks, especially since I'll have to case it but I can deal with it.
I don't need wireless charging, however I have two good chargers sitting in retirement.
I would miss the removable battery but Zerolemon will make an add-on.
The IR blaster doesn't matter to me.
I will miss the second screen mostly for the ability to monitor incoming calls and dismiss them as needed without interrupting a running app.
I'm hoping they improve the camera though I'm happy with the V20 camera performance for the most part.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
LG has never been big on doing "point upgrades" (5.0 to 5.1, 6.0 to 6.1, etc) so I would not expect it for the V20. They do, do, at least one major OS upgrade per major phone (did I just say do do?), so I would expect to see Android O show up on our phones at some point. If not, this is the last LG flagship phone I ever buy.

David

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

What do you guys think?

Give it 2-3 weeks and battery should improve. The Android system will recognize your habits and battery life should improve. OS updates almost never help with battery life (sometimes it does the opposite, or even slows down the phone). I don't think they will update it anytime soon, if you look at the V10, it took a while but they got one major release update.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
my guess is: V30 will ship with Android O and later on we will get 7.0 to 8.0 whatsoever.

I can live without Bluetooth HD Audio, seamless WiFi and those other features Android 8 will bring.

I just want security updates every Quarter or so, fixing crucial bugs and security holes more important than some features more

texn884

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Ya my security patch is still on December 2016 WTF and I have been going round and round to get the latest patches since they are out there and with a unlocked phone you should get them easy, all my BlackBerrys and Note 5 were unlocked and never had issues with getting monthly updates but the LG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
How fricking stupid

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Agreed, it's a marketing tactic. It'll make the V30 more desirable because it's newer with a newer Android OS. Samsung does the same thing, releases once the hype on the new phone dies.

shadavis08

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
who cares about updates just root your phone and you'll have all the features you want before the next update comes to your phone lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunn35