It is possible and/or necessary to change my REGION CODE if I swap factory ROMs?

A

AC Question

1) How to I determine if my Lenovo Yoga Tablet YT3-850L (LTE data only) has a REGION CODE?
2) How to I determine WHAT that code IS, if not evident in the answer to the above?
3) Is it possible to CHANGE a REGION CODE on an as-yet NOT ROOTED device? If so, how?
4) Might it be useful to change the REGION CODE?
5) Might changing the REGION CODE be a "Bad Idea?"
6) Is it likely that the SAME ROM will behave DIFFERENTLY on the SAME DEVICE if the REGION CODE is changed? (I know this can kill OTA updates on some non-rooted devices)

CONTEXT: I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Tablet YT3-850L. This is the SIM-equipped LTE data only version, no phone. My research indicates that this tablet was issued in THREE (3) versions: F (WiFi only), L (WiFi + LTE) & M (WiFi, LTE, Voice). However, there are only TWO ROMs for these THREE devices, and only TWO source codes: one for F and another one for L/M. Some have reported flashing the M ROM onto an F tablet, with the result being the appearance of a non-functional PHONE app. I am hoping that flashing the M ROM onto my L tablet would give me a functional phone in addition to the LTE data. There really is no separate L ROM. Reports elsewhere suggest that there are NO HARDWARE differences between the L/M devices.

So, I am guessing here, but think that the REGION CODE is the key to determining whether the (ostensibly) SAME HARDWARE functions as L or as M. Some countries (i.e., Russia, Czech Republic) offer M, but others offer L. I can't determine if BOTH L & M versions are marketed in the SAME country. I'm in the US, and my device is from a country which appears to offer only the L version. The marketing difference seems to be based on REGULATORY APPROVAL, best as I can tell. So, if Lenovo doesn't go to the considerable bother to get FCC or EU approval for the M device, it's just offered as an L.

I'm cautioned that flashing a ROM which is not in sync with the REGION CODE of the device is asking for trouble. Not sure that warning is a concern in my case; I DID change ROMs on my Samsung SM-T325 from one region to another w/o any issues, and AFAIK, the device thinks it's now a UK device. But it works anywhere. But, others say that having a ROM-Region Code mismatch can cause problems, including bricking the device.

So, can anyone tell me what I should consider( aside from reckless experimentation) with my YT3-850L regarding flashing the M ROM onto my L device in an effort to turn it into an M model? I can't find that my LTE-only L model even HAS a REGION CODE. That may be because it is hidden, or AFAIK, REGION CODES are only issued to PHONES, which the L model is NOT (though the M is). One thread suggested to be ready to SUPPLY the appropriate REGION CODE when flashing a ROM from another region. Here again, I don't know what to expect.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and especially specific guidance, links, etc. Theories may be useful, but experience with this obviously is preferred. Hope someone is interested AND knowledgeable in the area. Many thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuzuboiii