It's June 3rd. Has anyone got the Gingerbread update yet?

wipeout

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
So was hoping for some of the Gingerbread UI changes (wifi/cell signal bars green when connected to google servers; screen off animation) and I'm not seeing those.

I do see the revised Battery use screen (neat!) and the "Fast Boot" option in Applications. The Internet call settings are also in there. That's all I've found in a handful of minutes.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You should NEVER run an OTA update on a rooted device. There are specific steps and things you need to do to unroot and return to stock before you should run the OTA update.

WHY?

Normally rooting is 2 files, su in /system/bin and Superuser.apk in /system/app

While it is ideal to return to stock, taking an OTA while rooted normally just deletes these two files, unrooting your phone.

A lot of people think rooting makes radical changes to their phones. Under normal circumstances, it actually just adds these two files.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
You should NEVER run an OTA update on a rooted device. There are specific steps and things you need to do to unroot and return to stock before you should run the OTA update.

Yes that's right. But when has that stopped anyone from being stupid. They don't call them lemmings for nuthin.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

wstevens

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
WHY?

Normally rooting is 2 files, su in /system/bin and Superuser.apk in /system/app

While it is ideal to return to stock, taking an OTA while rooted normally just deletes these two files, unrooting your phone.

A lot of people think rooting makes radical changes to their phones. Under normal circumstances, it actually just adds these two files.

This is true only if you're just rooted and not running a custom recovery. I believe if you're not running the stock HTC recovery, that's when you can experience issues with an OTA.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This is true only if you're just rooted and not running a custom recovery. I believe if you're not running the stock HTC recovery, that's when you can experience issues with an OTA.

If you are running custom recovery, you will likely not even see an update available. All the DO NOT UPDATE IF YOU ARE ROOTED mess is mostly from people that do not even understand what rooting actually does. Or they would understand the OTA will just unroot your phone (since they normally contain whole new system.img files)

Now, if you get notified about an update, and are running CWM recovery, then yes, do not take it. Find the zip and flash it through CWM to upgrade, then flash another zip with su and superuser.apk to re-root.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I really did not care if this update came or not, seeing i will have a evo 3d by the end of the month,, in any case I have not seen anything different as of yet.

EVO-LUTION 3D

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
With the Gingerbread download about 110MB how much free space do I need on the phone? I have 50MB free on the phone itself with additional memory on the SD card. This is what I am told by App 2 SD.

Will I run into problems because there is not enough room on the phone?

Thanks

Doc

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
With the Gingerbread download about 110MB how much free space do I need on the phone? I have 50MB free on the phone itself with additional memory on the SD card. This is what I am told by App 2 SD.

Will I run into problems because there is not enough room on the phone?

Thanks

Doc

No, it will replace the old software with the new, you will be fine. A bug maybe? Telling me I have 4 voice mails, I checked and deleted and icon in top left will not go away. 20 mins now and still telling me I have 4 voice mails.

EVO-LUTION 3D

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Chicago. 9am ctl. Just downloaded on 4g (actually a bunch quicker than I assumed it would be). Installing now. Ooops, make that "installed" and re-booting. It'll be interesting to see how much of my crap doesn't run :)

BTW...it's a total of 3 re-boots before you get the little 4G screen and bad music intro. File is 109.21mb. Ver is 4.22.651.2

STILL on the 4G screen (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz). I guess it's waiting for the Gingerbread to rise before it fully bakes.

Gee, I'm sure glad I have two forms of backup just in case it hits the fan.

Whomp, theh it is! "CONGRATULATIONS! YOUR PHONE HAS BEEN UPDATED SUCESSFULLY TO VERSION 4.22.651.2"

Apparently it's not liking my 32gig card much because it can't see it. OK...after over 2 full minutes it finally recognized it. Wow.

I'm running full monitoring on System Panel, Battery Monitor Widget Pro and Lookout, so it went through a few hoops before all the candles were lit.

I'll update with new stuff I find as I stumble across it. I did notice a couple of new things immediately though:

Settings>applications> scroll through them and there's an odd little graphic at the bottom that connects the apps to the memory they're using. Not sure of any value to this.

Decided to reboot and see if it still took 2 min to read the SD. When you push and hold to shut it down, there are now only 3 options: Shut down. Airplane. RESTART (this is the new one). Much cleaner and quicker.

bj

Reactions: wipeout

wipeout

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Decided to reboot and see if it still took 2 min to read the SD. When you push and hold to shut it down, there are now only 3 options: Shut down. Airplane. RESTART (this is the new one). Much cleaner and quicker.

bj

Oooh, didn't spot that initially. Nice!

spectre855

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having trouble turning on the 4g radio? I had mine on earlier but now after the update, I can't turn it on. It's stuck in a state of "Turning on..." and has been for 20 minutes or so. I've rebooted several times. Rebooted it while in airplane mode. No luck.