January update

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked P7 on T-Mobile and no update and the same for my 6a.
My Flip 4 was still on November/Android 12 until a couple days ago when I borrowed my son's Verizon SIM so I could get the update. I don't know what's going on at T-Mobile, but it isn't good.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Not IME, but I'd really like to understand the architecture/flow, if you've got anything.

Say if I take my same phone, and throw a VZW SIM it, tomorrow, and maybe possibly reset it (I doubt this 2nd part is necessary, but I'd have to figure out where the carrier settings are in the tree, or if these are even all public).
Boom - Zip, you have the update, and it came from whom exactly, VZW? :confused: :)
I could also probably sanitize the carrier info (no SIM, just direct to Google distro servers), without the 2nd SIM, and produce the same result, but it'd take a bit of digging, again.
Yes, the carrier has testing going on in-concert with releases, and yes there's some flag they can set, but I still bet they have to negotiate this out. TMo can't just block your updates to the phone they have no stake in, indefinitely, right?

If you have a pointer to some spec/code that explain the depth part here, particularly how a carrier would do this, outside of working w/Google, I'd be very interested to see, truly.
Maybe I'll go dev-docs spelunking a bit tomorrow, depending on time, who knows, maybe I'm way off in the weeds here and using dated release methodology experience.

I always set up all my unlocked phones on wifi straight out of the box... I do all the available updates, OS and security, without ever putting a SIM card in them. Then I factory reset them and put my SIM in. I do that so I don't have to set the phones up all at once, I can break it up and not make it as tedious, while still using my old phone. And that's been with multiple brands including Pixels, Samsungs, and Moto's. Since the phones are brand new and unlocked, they have no carrier connections of any kind, so I'm assuming they're getting their updates directly from the manufacturer?

I wonder if you pulled the SIM out of a phone and factory reset it, then set it back up on wifi, if you could get updates that your carrier was withholding from you? I wonder if it would have to be factory unlocked or not? And I wonder if it saves the carrier info after a factory reset?

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
What makes anyone think February will be any different?

It doesn’t seem to me that they feel any sense of urgency here.

I'll give them until Feb. If TMobile decides to hold that update too for some reason, I'm jumping to another carrier. They are all pretty much the same price anyway. Between the yearly data breaches, and now withholding updates TMO is getting on my nerves.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I'll give them until Feb. If TMobile decides to hold that update too for some reason, I'm jumping to another carrier. They are all pretty much the same price anyway. Between the yearly data breaches, and now withholding updates TMO is getting on my nerves.

Not really the same on price.

Mint Mobile is hard to beat for $15 per month, but it is a T-Mobile MVNO.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Not really the same on price.

Mint Mobile is hard to beat for $15 per month, but it is a T-Mobile MVNO.

I was referring more to the big 3 carriers. Not really a huge fan of MVNOS. Plus I think my job still has a Verizon or ATT discount, so I would have to check.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
For me, the lack of monthly updates isn't the sole reason to switch carriers, but TMo's data security woes certainly qualify.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
But do they really? Lol. I guess not enough to stop them from continually sharing their customers lives with the world, over and over and over ad nauseum :(

The yearly breaches are getting irksome. Everytime after I get bombarded with spam calls. The only good thing is assistant answers them, and screens them all out. I'm sure though we'll get a free umbrella as a TMO Tuesday reward!!

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So I'm among those with a Pixel 7 Pro (bought unlocked from Google) on T-Mobile's network still waiting for the January patch (just checked - I'm still "up to date" with security update from December 5).

Noticed something strange though, that I don't recall from before. Under Bluetooth device details, there is now a "Spatial Audio" toggle - it can't be toggled on at the moment, but I could swear was never there before, and it was something that was only supposed to be first introduced with the patch. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20230130-150104-COLLAGE.jpg

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Checked and I was still on December play store. Rebooted and tried again and bam there was an update. I'm on January for both updates now running beta.
aec14cd58c19ffffa42d14624a8fb732.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
So I'm among those with a Pixel 7 Pro (bought unlocked from Google) on T-Mobile's network still waiting for the January patch (just checked - I'm still "up to date" with security update from December 5).

Noticed something strange though, that I don't recall from before. Under Bluetooth device details, there is now a "Spatial Audio" toggle - it can't be toggled on at the moment, but I could swear was never there before, and it was something that was only supposed to be first introduced with the patch. Any thoughts?

View attachment 350867
I've been running spacial audio for a while now.
26895bae39986764a1b2c6d6d60df753.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777