Just got my Nexus 6P! Some quick thoughts and comparisons

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
So I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a Nexus 6P (Frost 64GB) and I thought I'd post my thoughts and some comparisons with my other phones. My last phone was an HTC One M8, which I have had for 2 years and I really loved that phone. I also have an iPhone 6 from work.

First thing's first: WOW THIS PHONE IS AMAZING. LIKE REALLY, REALLY AMAZING. WOW.

Okay, obviously most people here have a N6P and know what the phone is capable of, but I thought I'd give some insight into the other devices I have.

HTC One M8:

I loved this phone. Yeah, the camera wasn't amazing, but I never felt like it deserved all the hate that it got. I've taken some incredible photos with the M8 and captured important moments and never felt like I was using an inferior product. I had several iPhone users comment that the M8 took better photos than their phones (iPhone 4s and iPhone 5). Sure, it's not the best, but it works, and importantly, it saves photos quickly.

The build quality on the M8 was *almost* perfect. I had only 2 issues in 2 years, and both manifested themselves from the start and never got any worse. The first issue was that the part above the screen was not glued down properly on the right side. It was only noticeable when you looked for it, though, so it didn't bother me much. The other issue was a single stuck pixel (green) which was almost never noticeable either, but occasionally it would stand out on a black/dark screen. Aside from those issues, the phone was perfect.

The software is an interesting area for me, because I strongly dislike UIs that add too much or otherwise make things more difficult than they need to be. I rooted/S-OFF'd my M8 and went with a custom ROM - but I always chose Sense ROMs, because Sense, well, makes sense. It's not a far cry from the stock experience and it's nowhere near as awful as TouchWiz is/was (GS5 was my last TW phone).

As much as I loved the M8, the N6P is simply superior in every way. The camera is fantastic, the build quality is perfect, and the UI is intuitive and WOW this phone is fast.

iPhone 6:

Okay, I'm not a fan of Apple's products. I freely admit my bias. That said, I was distinctly unimpressed with the iPhone 6. It doesn't feel like something significant when you hold it. It's too light and I felt I had to put a case on it (paid for case+screen protector myself) because it just doesn't feel like it's a device that can withstand a whole lot. It is pretty to look at, and it's an engineering marvel in that they fit so much into so little space, but compared to the One M8 it just doesn't have a premium feel to it. There's no imperfections (aside from general use and wear from the previous user), so the quality is good - just not my thing.

The user experience hasn't dramatically changed with the iPhone in a long time. For some people, that's a good thing. For others, not so much. I like new things. The finger print reader on the iPhone 6 only seems to work about 50% of the time - and I have to wake it up first. The positioning doesn't feel natural at all, either, but it is a neat feature to integrate it into the home button, which you're used to pressing anyway.

I do seem to have an issue where notifications don't show up on the lock screen, though they're enabled in settings. I don't use the phone all that much since it's mostly for syncing work emails, but getting a notification for a text shouldn't be a complicated thing. Other times it will vibrate but there's nothing to indicate any message came in, even when I check in my messages (sms and email).

So, how do these phones compare to the N6P?

Obviously, it's the 6P by a mile - but for the same reasons my M8 beat my previous phone (an original LG Lucid) by a mile. It's a great device that does a lot of things and does them well.

Only one tiny complaint I can even think of: when I switched to Fi from Verizon, I started getting poor signal/no signal on my daily commute (I take a subway). My M8 would get good service in the subway, but that is not the case with Fi. It's not a huge issue since the stations all have Xfinity wifi, but it would have been nice.

Well, I think that about does it. I can't keep my hands off my phone. Even at work, I check the phone constantly and not a single time has Nexus Imprint failed to pick up my fingerprint (again, iPhone 6 has about 50% accuracy). I really just can't believe how great this phone is!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nice writeup.:) As much as I like how my 6P looks and feels, I still need a case in real world use, because the metal is just too slippery. I have Nexus Protect, but I certainly don't want to use it if I can avoid it!;)

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a case also (had one for my M8 as well for the same reason). I bought the Verus case and so far I really like it, though it's a bit hard to get the case off of the phone. I also have Nexus Protect, but I have never had a cracked a screen or bent a phone, and I don't think my 6P will be the first.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is that Verus case the one with the brushed metal texture? I was considering that one. Is it pretty slim? Does it retain the rear contour of the phone (i.e., can you still distinguish the slight bump of the visor)?

Sammytheorangutan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I went from a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge to my 6P about 2 weeks ago. I love my Note Edge but I wanted Project Fi. As much as the Note Edge is a wonderful phone, the 6P is worlds better. Part of it may be the OS (the Note Edge is still running 5.1.1) but the 6P is thinner (although I added a very thin case because the metal was too slippery), is lighter, has a better camera, front mounted speakers (not sure why Nexus touts "stereo" speakers...who the heck could tell on a PHONE?), and an overall better feel. I really like the rear mounted fingerprint scanner, too. (Works much better than the fingerprint scanner on the Note Edge as you have to swipe your finger over the Galaxy scanner.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
not sure why Nexus touts "stereo" speakers...who the heck could tell on a PHONE?

I used to think this--but then, after using the 6P for viewing videos on a regular basis, it always sounds too lopsided when I go back to a mono phone like my old Nexus 5.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Is that Verus case the one with the brushed metal texture? I was considering that one. Is it pretty slim? Does it retain the rear contour of the phone (i.e., can you still distinguish the slight bump of the visor)?

Yeah, that's the case. It's really slim. The back contour is only slightly distinguishable, and only if you're really looking for it. The camera/radio visor is really not nearly as think as I thought it would be, even after hearing a lot of people say the same thing on here. Anyway the case is really nice and the plastic has a nice texture to it that I really like. It's hard to take off, though, so you have to be a bit careful.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I used to think this--but then, after using the 6P for viewing videos on a regular basis, it always sounds too lopsided when I go back to a mono phone like my old Nexus 5.

I thought the same until my One M8. I think the M8's sound may be a bit better (at *least* the same) than the N6P.

Yatezy

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Like you I came from the M8. I was reluctant at first because of the size of the phone. Even though I'm enjoying the size and it makes the HTC feel tiny I'm not really into huge phones. Literally the only negative.

Everything else is awesome! I used AOSP ROMs on my HTC and my S3 before that so a nexus was a natural step. It's nice to have camera software that works, the speakers and sound still sound great so no need for Viper (yet ;)) and generally all round awesome performance.

Battery life is good but I was getting better on the HTC but I've double the pixels in this thing so that's a given. Although the new kernel I've flashed and tweaking of the interactive governor looks like I may have found something that will give me similar or possibly more!

Never been interested in a finger print scanner but I like the backside placement and am using it just because I can :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abventz