Leaving Pixel considered....

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I posted on the p30 forum because I have a problem with the font. If I change to system dark mode, which I like, it has an odd font of black letter with white borders and I can't even read the blasted things. So, I don't use the system dark mode but those crazy bordered fonts show up on a few apps with dark mode.

It is customizable but I went ahead and put Nova Launcher on the phone. The Huawei would let me take the Google Search bar off the home screen. Wish Pixel would.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I posted on the p30 forum because I have a problem with the font. If I change to system dark mode, which I like, it has an odd font of black letter with white borders and I can't even read the blasted things. So, I don't use the system dark mode but those crazy bordered fonts show up on a few apps with dark mode.

It is customizable but I went ahead and put Nova Launcher on the phone. The Huawei would let me take the Google Search bar off the home screen. Wish Pixel would.
Ugh, don't get me started on Pixel's UI. The only thing it has going for it is the living wallpaper. Otherwise such a let-down.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
UPdate. After seeing what Pixel 4 is bringing to the table and at what price I decided to hold on to my Pixel 3. To me, that's a no brainer. Now, my wild side--at 78--decided that after years of pure Android to try something different and if it's going to be different it might as well be the black sheep of the flock.

I ordered a Huawei p30 Pro. What could possibly be farther from pure Android then EMUI? I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes and checking out the cameras.

I admire you more than you know..... my dad is 77 and is entering the later stages of Alzheimer's, he's been struggling with it for a long time and now it's getting to the part that is tearing our hearts out. He brought it on by living exactly the wrong kind of life. You are doing exactly what we tried to get him to do..... stay mentally active, stay involved in life, and keep the mind as sharp as possible. You are setting an example that everyone reading this should remember........use it or lose it.

I just hope I'm as sharp as you when I'm 78 :)

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I had an eight-digit PIN for my Pixel as a test. My father and an uncle had dementia. It's not that bad for the person with dementia but it's hell on the family. My Huawei has a six-digit PIN.

Thanks for the nice words, though. I live with my dog, Diego, and my Kindle and camera keep me going. I'm also living in Oaxaca, Mexico, and in many ways it's like America seventy years ago.

I am loving this camera. It's made for photographers. I'm hating EMUI.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I had an eight-digit PIN for my Pixel as a test. My father and an uncle had dementia. It's not that bad for the person with dementia but it's hell on the family. My Huawei has a six-digit PIN.

Thanks for the nice words, though. I live with my dog, Diego, and my Kindle and camera keep me going. I'm also living in Oaxaca, Mexico, and in many ways it's like America seventy years ago.

I am loving this camera. It's made for photographers. I'm hating EMUI.
EMUI is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it operating system! I personally loved it but I do know users who lamented it.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
EMUI is definitely a love-it-or-hate-it operating system! I personally loved it but I do know users who lamented it.

Used to hate TouchWiz and EMUI but recently they’ve improved a heck of a lot. Now I find them to be excellent...just as good as stock in my opinion! They may seem a little heavy or cluttered (I’m looking at EMUI) sometimes but the trade-off is even more customisation :)

The camera on the P30 Pro is near-unparalleled. Whereas Google leans on processing Huawei improves its cameras with brute force (i.e using better/larger sensors etc) and AI. In daylight both produce excellent photos (Huawei has the edge with zoom but turn AI off for more natural photos) and the same goes for low-light...however here Huawei has managed to beat the mighty Night Sight (courtesy of RYYB and AI night mode)

Plus 5x optical zoom and 50x digital zoom is insane!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Used to hate TouchWiz and EMUI but recently they’ve improved a heck of a lot. Now I find them to be excellent...just as good as stock in my opinion! They may seem a little heavy or cluttered (I’m looking at EMUI) sometimes but the trade-off is even more customisation :)

The camera on the P30 Pro is near-unparalleled. Whereas Google leans on processing Huawei improves its cameras with brute force (i.e using better/larger sensors etc) and AI. In daylight both produce excellent photos (Huawei has the edge with zoom but turn AI off for more natural photos) and the same goes for low-light...however here Huawei has managed to beat the mighty Night Sight (courtesy of RYYB and AI night mode)

Plus 5x optical zoom and 50x digital zoom is insane!
I agree - EMUI is really close to stock and I love it! I know - I was so close to choosing the Huawei P30, especially due to the camera. I can't wait to see what Huawei does next with their upcoming device line.