LG Keyboard or Swiftkey

eljeffe58

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Have tried them all over and over again. I like TouchPal by far the best. Swiftkey has been making wonky predictions in the last few weeks, not sure why, and slowing me down. Went back to TouchPal and am very happy.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Have tried them all over and over again. I like TouchPal by far the best. Swiftkey has been making wonky predictions in the last few weeks, not sure why, and slowing me down. Went back to TouchPal and am very happy.
I agree on the SwiftKey predictions being off lately. Dunno what is going on there.

Pedalbflat

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm giving TouchPal another shot, as well. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed, so far.

Posted via the Android Central App

allisonm95

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently using the LG G3's stock keyboard, but sometimes the lag is unbearable and lately the keyboard's been shutting itself down while I'm typing a message, a search, etc. I think I'll give Swiftkey a shot.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
SwiftKey is best for tap typing. Hands down with no competition.

I switched to Google Keyboard, though, because I use gesture typing as much as tap typing and gesture typing on SwiftKey is pretty bad on comparison. There is a ton I miss about SwiftKey, but I like being able to accurately gesture.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I've tried others but I keep coming back to Swiftkey, mostly due to 3 factors.
1) muscle memory. I've used it almost exclusively for 4 years, and I struggle to adapt to another keyboard's spacing and layout
2) long-press for punctuation. Some other keyboards have it but each one is slightly different where they put the punctuation.
3) predictions. Like I said I've used it almost exclusively for years so it knows me fairly well - although lately the predictions have been really off lately. I deleted my SwiftKey cloud info (predictions and dictionary) so we'll see if that brings things back a bit. (the fact that it learns from Facebook, Twitter, SMS, Google+, and Gmail is nice too). I also dial back the long-press time to about 280ms and disable sound and vibration feedback - which seems to make a huge difference in performance.

The only one I found was decently close was Kii - but I can't seem to find it anymore (unless it got re-named). If Google's keyboard had long-press punctuation as opposed to on a second screen I'd give it a shot but that 2nd screen punctuation just bothers me for whatever reason. Its speed is really awesome though - I won't dispute that!

dkunzman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Been playing around a bit with a few. I tap, I swipe, I curse at the predictions at times.....
Currently using Google Keyboard.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey. Been using it since 2011 when it was a paid app. Cost me 10 cents when it was on sale! Had just purchased a Galaxy Nexus. And coming from a droid 2, it was the saving grace that let me transition to touch screen form qwerty.

The LG one is nice though. The resizable thing is nifty. But you cant get a thumbs keyboard in landscape. Or really change the themes. And the swiftkey cloud sync is nice. Maybe if I had small hands and my only android device was the g3 I'd use the lg one.

Check out their material design themes they are pretty cool. Not 100% accurate but neat.

mission_mode

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I was a fairly devoted SwiftKey user for the last couple of years on my Nexus 4, but I've switched back to Google Keyboard on the G3. As noted by others, the predictions have been way off lately and for me that was the most important feature. I really miss the dedicated row of numbers but I just got tired of fighting with it.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Actually really liked the stock LG keyboard and used it for a while. I've used the Google keyboard and it is also very good. Swiftkey just "gets me". I don't know if it's the custom predictions I've built up over the years, but I find myself having to go back and edit what I've typed about 1/4 the amount I do using other keyboards.

qbngator

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
For bilingual users, SwiftKey is the best. All others require you to change language for proper predictions. SwiftKey, however, allows you to alternate languages seamlessly.

chimpboy74

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I liked the LG keyboard layout and appearance etc but I found its correction really bad (my wife says same on her g3)
I also had a tendency to miss the space bar and press "b",on the LG keyboardbsobitbwouldballbappearblikebthis.

I probably could have tinkered with the size but the SwiftKey keyboard is spotting when I'm doing it and correcting automatically so far.
The LG keyboard would sometimes correct words that were correct e.g it changed shop to ship even though shop was correct.
I'm trying SwiftKey (using it now) and all seems good so far.