LG smartphones business dead?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Maybe in the mainstream market but not completely dead. One of the reasons I looked at the Asus ROG line is because they keep it as well. Heck, there were many jokes about the first one having two jacks (the cooler attachment had one in addition to the phone body) when it came out. I just looked at the product page for the ROG 5 phone, and it mentions having the jack, powered by a hi-fi ESS DAC. Not sure if it'll be a quad DAC like with LG, but ESS made the V-series DAC's. Maybe they will take the place of LG if they get that line universally compatible? The market could use a new non-cookie cutter competitor, which use to be LG.
The ROG phones have always been interesting

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Great hardware but software updates were few and far between. That mistake hurt them

I agree. And their marketing and advertising. They delivered quality products that I think would have sold more units if LG spent more time and money on advertising.

LGMOfield

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
First LG made some great phones. I switched from the Samsung S4 to the LG G3 and loved itUpgraded to the G4 and had boot loop with 3 of them but when that phone worked it was fantastic. Upgraded to the v20 and free Web OS tv currently using the LG v30 .If I get a good deal could grab a LG Velvet.
They failed because the carriers in their stores pushes Apple and Samsung .Look at Wal-Mart or Target or Meijer their accessories are for Apple or Samsung including Tablet.
It is like an effort between Apple and Samsung to force out others.

EnthalpiousKitten

Feb 24, 2021
Visit site
Let's all not forget the notoriety that LG had for bootlooping with the G4, G6 and I think even on the G5. I probably would have bought an LG smartphone or two if it wasn't for that whole disaster. Guess they couldn't make those things very durable like the good ol' LG A110 feature phone I had which survived falling off a shelf into a cup full of boiling hot tea many years ago and still works perfectly (aside from a worn button) last time I checked...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Let's all not forget the notoriety that LG had for bootlooping with the G4, G6 and I think even on the G5. I probably would have bought an LG smartphone or two if it wasn't for that whole disaster. Guess they couldn't make those things very durable like the good ol' LG A110 feature phone I had which survived falling off a shelf into a cup full of boiling hot tea many years ago and still works perfectly (aside from a worn button) last time I checked...

You raise a good point. I had thought that the LG G6 was largely exempt from the bootlooping issue? I know the LG G4 suffered greatly with that.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You raise a good point. I had thought that the LG G6 was largely exempt from the bootlooping issue? I know the LG G4 suffered greatly with that.

Yeah, I agree. When I worked for Verizon wireless, one of my demo phones was an LG android phone. I really did not like it at all. LG tried different things to try to stir up interest and business within their mobile division. Obviously they failed, and furthermore, I never liked their phones. Competition is a wonderful thing, but between one plus, Samsung, and Google pixel for android phones, I think that’s all the competition we need right now. LG didn’t do anything innovative. The phones were very lackluster, and not very keen on useful features... I mean, let’s be honest, between the modular phone design , the volume rocker on the back, and the curved phone model, I saw it coming down the line years ago unfortunately. This will lead LG focus on what they really do well: making great smart TVs, smart devices to put in you home, and other home appliances such as washers, Dryers, and dishwashers.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I agree. When I worked for Verizon wireless, one of my demo phones was an LG android phone. I really did not like it at all. LG tried different things to try to stir up interest and business within their mobile division. Obviously they failed, and furthermore, I never liked their phones. Competition is a wonderful thing, but between one plus, Samsung, and Google pixel for android phones, I think that’s all the competition we need right now. LG didn’t do anything innovative. The phones were very lackluster, and not very keen on useful features... I mean, let’s be honest, between the modular phone design , the volume rocker on the back, and the curved phone model, I saw it coming down the line years ago unfortunately. This will lead LG focus on what they really do well: making great smart TVs, smart devices to put in you home, and other home appliances such as washers, Dryers, and dishwashers.

While I do see what you are saying, I must respectfully disagree with some points. I personally thought that LG did pave the way for other manufacturers to follow in their footsteps with similar advances. I believe it was the LG G6 that was one of the first that took off with the "bezel-less display" trend that others began to copy. And the LG V series did the second screen. I really thought the LG Velvet may have been a bigger winner due to its impressive battery size, display, and hardware.

However, not all of LG's products were super amazing. The LG G5 was probably one of my biggest disappointments in the smartphone world. Never understood the gimmicks or the mods, or whatever they were called. And yes, the bootloops that the G4 and G5 suffered were pretty bad. But most manufacturers could point to design or release issues - like Samsung and the infamous Note 7.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion. I loved my LG G3 and personally thought that the company was awesome. At least they're not gone for good, and will continue to make appliances and such.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I would add the Asus ROG phone being very impressive these days.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
While I do see what you are saying, I must respectfully disagree with some points. I personally thought that LG did pave the way for other manufacturers to follow in their footsteps with similar advances. I believe it was the LG G6 that was one of the first that took off with the "bezel-less display" trend that others began to copy. And the LG V series did the second screen. I really thought the LG Velvet may have been a bigger winner due to its impressive battery size, display, and hardware.

However, not all of LG's products were super amazing. The LG G5 was probably one of my biggest disappointments in the smartphone world. Never understood the gimmicks or the mods, or whatever they were called. And yes, the bootloops that the G4 and G5 suffered were pretty bad. But most manufacturers could point to design or release issues - like Samsung and the infamous Note 7.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion. I loved my LG G3 and personally thought that the company was awesome. At least they're not gone for good, and will continue to make appliances and such.

I do completely agree with you. I do forget about the LGG5 and other bezel less LG android phones. You are right about that. The design overall was pretty attractive looking. They just couldn’t stick with it. That was their problem with all the phone lines. The idea of have adding different pieces to your phone like a camera or extra battery for modularity is a neat idea there in but not in practice or execution. Motorola tried the same thing as LG and failed as well. Because you make the accessories too expensive they’re too bulky, and they don’t have that much extra value to the customer. That’s the problem. No one really wanted it to begin with. Although, LOL, I will admit that having a volume rocker on the back of the phone did seem a bit weird to me. A fingerprint scanner like a Google pixel phone service one thing, but the volume rocker is a different thing.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Too bad to learn about LG bowing out. Loved the LG G2. I also loved the double tap to lock. That was something I always missed on other phones. I bought the G3 4,5,6, 7 and generally liked them all. But my unlocked LG g7 still on android 9 soured me. As their system updates were atrocious.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I do completely agree with you. I do forget about the LGG5 and other bezel less LG android phones. You are right about that. The design overall was pretty attractive looking. They just couldn’t stick with it. That was their problem with all the phone lines. The idea of have adding different pieces to your phone like a camera or extra battery for modularity is a neat idea there in but not in practice or execution. Motorola tried the same thing as LG and failed as well. Because you make the accessories too expensive they’re too bulky, and they don’t have that much extra value to the customer. That’s the problem. No one really wanted it to begin with. Although, LOL, I will admit that having a volume rocker on the back of the phone did seem a bit weird to me. A fingerprint scanner like a Google pixel phone service one thing, but the volume rocker is a different thing.

You are totally right about the modules for the LG G5. Useless! I remember being so excited for the LG G5 launch, and when I saw what was going on, I was just so disappointed. Plus the modules are so flimsy and easily breakable, because they are separate pieces from the device and aren't as sturdy.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You are totally right about the modules for the LG G5. Useless! I remember being so excited for the LG G5 launch, and when I saw what was going on, I was just so disappointed. Plus the modules are so flimsy and easily breakable, because they are separate pieces from the device and aren't as sturdy.

I mean heck yeah dude! Absolutely, when the LG fine with the expansion slots/modules launch along with Motorola modules, I thought it would be OK! Turns out that number one the modules were too much money, they were too heavy, which made them too bulky for the phones. Remember for example the Motorola camera model was 120 bucks. A speaker module was like 90 bucks. For that price you can get a really awesome Bose portable speaker system! Would rather one of the carrier round up doing with the LG/Motorola removal modules was a heavily discounted them, and finally basically trashed the merchandise... now , did I ever actually play with the Motorola /LG removable module? I saw one of the Motorola removable models of those in personal and then on Verizon wireless store many many years ago. It looked cool, but not to actually own, just to play within the store as a demo unit for a few minutes honestly.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I mean heck yeah dude! Absolutely, when the LG fine with the expansion slots/modules launch along with Motorola modules, I thought it would be OK! Turns out that number one the modules were too much money, they were too heavy, which made them too bulky for the phones. Remember for example the Motorola camera model was 120 bucks. A speaker module was like 90 bucks. For that price you can get a really awesome Bose portable speaker system! Would rather one of the carrier round up doing with the LG/Motorola removal modules was a heavily discounted them, and finally basically trashed the merchandise... now , did I ever actually play with the Motorola /LG removable module? I saw one of the Motorola removable models of those in personal and then on Verizon wireless store many many years ago. It looked cool, but not to actually own, just to play within the store as a demo unit for a few minutes honestly.

Yeah, they were definitely a nuisance - especially when LG dropped them for the G6. I mean, it made sense to do that, of course, but then you have last year's flagship owners with expensive modules that weren't even upwards-compatible, if that made sense. At least the Moto Mods were compatible with future releases for a while, right?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, they were definitely a nuisance - especially when LG dropped them for the G6. I mean, it made sense to do that, of course, but then you have last year's flagship owners with expensive modules that weren't even upwards-compatible, if that made sense. At least the Moto Mods were compatible with future releases for a while, right?

Ha ha, dude I hear you. The Moto mods made the phone bulkier, heavier more than annoying to use them! Like I said in concept, great idea. Execution in real world they sucked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777