Managing storage, camera videos taking up huge chunks of space

countryblue

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I mistakenly let a camera video run. Along with a couple other small camera videos in recent storage, amounts to about 2 hrs 18 min total time, occuping 29g of space, and this is after I changed to HEVC (prioritize saving space) format.

I don't understand the sense of this, unless it's an artificial means to fill up the available space. I have other videos in storage, i.e. 1 hr 55 min, mp4, 1280x536 resolution, that only amounts to 1.02g.

There are video compression apps out there. Would that be at least a partial solution? I don't know how they operate. Do you decompress when for playing or moving? Which is recommended?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What resolution were the videos taken in? If they're much higher res than 1280x536, that could easily explain why they take up so much space (even if you're saving as HEVC).

Reactions: Daniel Detkowski

countryblue

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Are you referring to the camera videos?

I didn't realize I had those settings at the top of the screen. and how they related?

Right now it's at UHD 30? Where should I put it? 8K?

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
8k? Honestly, I will bet if you were shown the same video shot in both 4 and 8 k on the same monitor you wouldn't be able to tell me the difference. I wouldn't even bother. Personally, I stick with 1080p at higher frame rates or UHD at 30. The difference in my eyes don't warrant the file size unless I intend to transfer to my computer for processing/ editing for broadcast.
By the way, UHD is almost 4k, so file sizes would be pretty close.
And to reiterate what B.Diddy said above, you are looking at large file sizes.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you referring to the camera videos?

I didn't realize I had those settings at the top of the screen. and how they related?

Right now it's at UHD 30? Where should I put it? 8K?
Yes, the camera videos. UHD is 3840x2160 (the 30 refers to the frames per second). That's less than 4K, which is 4096x2160, but not by much. 8K would be 7680x4320. The higher the resolution, the bigger the video file, so videos with any of these very high resolutions taken over a span of 2 hours would lead to a gigantic file.

If you're taking videos to watch on mobile devices, 1080p (full HD) is really all you need. If you're taking videos to watch on big screens that can take advantage of 4K or 8K video, then you can use those resolutions, but just be aware of how much space they take up.