Maps and navigation question

tpapictures

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
1. When you look up directions on Maps on a browser, you see the path and it's easy to make nodes to reroute directions by dragging your directions via another road you prefer. Is there no way to do this on Android's Maps? I get directions but invariably there is a road I'd rather take because I happen to know that it's better than what Google thinks I should take or often I may not mind the difference in time because I know my option to be a better road. Can't I do this on Android Maps?

2. Is there no way to stop Navigation from changing the path you chose?

3. When something is clearly wrong on Maps with roads, etc, can you report it to Google for someone to review it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're correct, there is no way to modify the route in the Google Maps app (unlike the web interface). If Google Map shows you a few alternate routes, you can select one of them (by tapping the little time indicator), but you can't change the various streets on the route.

Unfortunately, there's no way to report a wrong route using the Google Maps app -- you have to use the web interface: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6194894?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Android&oco=1

tpapictures

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
You can force the routing onto a road you prefer by judiciously adding a Stop on that road.
That's exactly what we just figured out today. It's one bridge we wanted to take instead of another that is always recommended. We made the bridge a "stop".

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Back in the day when planning motor bike routes on twisty roads used to do that on the PC then download the routes to my Garmin sat-nav. Is it possible to do something similar with Google Maps? When setting up for a week's holiday round Scotland much easier and less of a faff that way.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I remember reading years ago that Maps will learn your preferences to some extent over time. If you continually set a route and drive your preferred route instead, doing it enough times can cause the app to start routing your preferred way. I don't know if this is still the case or exactly how much change it can make, though.

Otherwise, adding extra stops may be the only option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000