Marshmallow update?

graybeard007

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Just bought one at best buy for $399, marshmallow out of the box!

Lucky you. I bought mine from Amazon about a week and a half ago for $299. It shipped with the February 2016 release of Lollipop.

EDIT: It seems Amazon has just started selling the WiFi Tab S2 8.0 with Marshmallow for $349.

Last edited:

Stephen Spackman

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I just updated a US 8" WiFi version version to Marshmallow using the UK firmware. It was simple using Odin and the tablet is noticeably faster now. It was fast before but even faster now. I swear I think they are holding it back hoping people will buy the updated version with the slightly faster processor since it's already on Marshmallow.

How did you do that?

Posted via the Android Central App

graybeard007

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Do those of us who purchased one early get screwed by Samsung? Or are they going to show some loyalty?

murphcid, I'm guessing you're in Texas, like me. One of my favorite local expressions is "Ya gotta dance with them what brung ya." Unfortunately, few companies nowadays adhere to that philosophy.

What makes no sense in all of this is that those of us with WiFi-only tablets aren't getting upgraded first. You would think that with no need for a carrier to put its stamp on the OS, we'd be at the front of the line. Hasn't worked out that way so far.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree completely, and I am dancing with them that brung me. Next tablet will be a Google one since they seem to get updates. I ended up with the 8" since it is easier to hold while reading. Oh, well I can go back to the ipad mini with Play Books if need be....

murphcid, I'm guessing you're in Texas, like me. One of my favorite local expressions is "Ya gotta dance with them what brung ya." Unfortunately, few companies nowadays adhere to that philosophy.

What makes no sense in all of this is that those of us with WiFi-only tablets aren't getting upgraded first. You would think that with no need for a carrier to put its stamp on the OS, we'd be at the front of the line. Hasn't worked out that way so far.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Not entirely true. The UK and Germany WiFi only models were updated to Marshmallow before the North American LTE variants were updated. We don't know why Samsung hasn't pushed the update out to everybody. Maybe there was a problem with how the update went for Germany and UK and Samsung is holding off until its fixed.

Del1701

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Not entirely true. The UK and Germany WiFi only models were updated to Marshmallow before the North American LTE variants were updated. We don't know why Samsung hasn't pushed the update out to everybody. Maybe there was a problem with how the update went for Germany and UK and Samsung is holding off until its fixed.
Samsung must of stopped the updates to the UK wifi only models because my one still hasn't got it yet 😒

graybeard007

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
More often than not there are issues with these updates so I'm happy to wait until the bugs are all out before getting it. I don't know what I need it for anyway.

Coming to Android from the Apple world, the additional permissions granularity in Marshmallow is a must-have. I just installed the UK rom on my US wifi 8.0 Tab S2, and everything works great.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Exactly, both Germany and the UK are relatively small markets when compared to North America. Therefore, any update issues that crop up can be resolved before updating everybody else's devices. The users in Germany and UK may not even be aware that there were problems. The problems may be entirely internal to Samsung and not with the OS.

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What I don't understand is why the radio silence on the reason for the delay. Granted, the tablet works fine and all. But why keep your customers in the dark?

slinky826

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Especially given the current Marshmallow build is from April 25th. You'd think any major bugs would have been reported. But everything seems rather smooth this far. Only guess I have is that they may be holding back the US and Canada releases for latest monthly security updates.

Edit: Just noticed the last 3 released (Belgium, Romania and Serbia) are a different build from May 16th.

MCHKK3Z

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Im from saudi arabia and i have the 8" lte. No carrier version. I updated my tab s2 three days ago and right after that, my keypad doesnt work correctly, some keys not registering. Did a screen test and found a bar running from top to bottom on the right side that wasnt responding. You think its a firmware issue or a defective screen?

It was working perfectly before i updated it. I only updated cz i heard it would have improved battery life and some features like having the pattern lock invisible etc

Sigh... Now the perfect tablet is junk. Still under warranty though might need to go back to lollipop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord