Micro SD card- is the card corrupted?

annaloser

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
The other morning I woke up and on my phone there was a notification "SD card is blank or has unsupported...". When I clicked on it, there was the "Format SD card" prompt- I'm sure you've all heard of this error before. I checked in My Files and could still see pictures in storage/sdcard0, so I assumed my stuff was still there, and went about my day.
Earlier today, I checked and none of my music was there- maybe my photos are stored on internal storage (storage/sdcard0 is internal?). So I put my SD card in the computer. Nothing was detected, but my computer bluescreened and had to restart multiple times either right after the SD card was removed or while it was still in the computer. I haven't put it back in, and it hasn't bluescreened since.
On my phone I scanned the device with the anti-virus app (Quick Heal), found no threats. Scanned the "blank" card- no threats, after spending a minute searching through 6971 files that supposedly aren't there (but on storage/sdcard0- so is that internal or external?).
I put the SD card in my Samsung tablet, it won't even detect it. Mount SD card is greyed out and it still tells me to insert an SD card. On my phone, when the SD card is inserted, it has the option to mount it, not greyed out, and no message to tell me to insert anything- so obviously the phone knows something is in there, but won't mount it and tells me it is blank.
When I plug my phone into the computer, with the SD card in it, it only comes up with the Phone drive, when normally it has Phone and Card.
The card is a SanDisk 32GB which I've been using for over a year, without taking out of the phone. I've since backed up all my pictures, just in case, and as far as I can remember there's nothing else important that I'd want. All my music that was on the card is also on my computer too.

So what I really want to know is, did the card itself die? Is it possible to use it again, either with or without the data on it (preferably with, just to avoid hours of transferring files again!)? If I buy another SD card, will the same thing happen to it? I have Googled and found people with similar situations, but not quite like this. I've also heard people say to format the SD card on the computer, not the phone. It would be possible for me to format on my phone, but not the computer as it can't be detected. I haven't done that yet.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get all the details in there! Thanks for any pointers you may have!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! /storage/sdcard0 is your Internal Storage, while /storage/sdcard1 is the external SD card.

It sounds like your SD card may have totally failed, if it isn't being recognized by any device. It's a little disconcerting that your computer did a BSOD around the time you tried to read the card with it. I would otherwise suggest inserting the card into your computer and running chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html.

Bottom line is that the card is probably toast. SD cards have a finite lifespan, based on the number of read-write cycles, and also influenced by manufacturer defects. The problem is that you never know when it might be about to fail. People should never keep sensitive or important data on a single SD card alone--always back up that data onto a hard drive or into the cloud (or onto multiple other SD cards).

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
You might have one of the cards from before Sandisk rewrote the internal ROM. In that case you can call them to get a replacement for it. Have a magnifying glass handy as you will need to read everything printed on the card.

AC App on SGS3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GM44