Microsoft Excel

LuvULongTime

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Any Excel users here? Is the app working on your Note 8's? Whenever I try to edit a spreadsheet, specifically adding text to cells, Excel will freeze and crash. Sometimes my entire phone freezes and requires a hard reboot.

The same build of Excel on my moto G4 play running marshmallow has no issues editing the same spreadsheets.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! It seems to happen to me all the time making Excel unusable. Glad you are having a bit better luck with it.
Have you checked to make sure it's updated?

I read excel files on my Note often though haven't edited any on here

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I read and edit Excel files on my Note 8 all the time. I never had that happen. I know that doesn't help you. Not sure why we are having different results.

pianomanss87

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
happened to me all the time. downloaded the mobile app right from microsoft and problem went away. wont let me paste the link but i did it throgh office 365

z0ove

Oct 28, 2017
Visit site
I was using MS Excell for almost a year, but it started to crash to home. So, i stopped using it and switched to Google sheets. I know is not thw same but it let me work.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I use Excel. I assume you also access and use on other devices, phone, laptop, tablets.
Might want to try exporting and recreating. Could there be a corrupt cell or macro?
There's been a couple updates to Excel lately for desktop too.
Try importing it back from Sheets.

Is this just one file? all? any?

LuvULongTime

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I use Excel. I assume you also access and use on other devices, phone, laptop, tablets.
Might want to try exporting and recreating. Could there be a corrupt cell or macro?
There's been a couple updates to Excel lately for desktop too.
Try importing it back from Sheets.

Is this just one file? all? any?

Correct, I use Excel on my phone and desktop to edit the same two spreadsheets. No issues on the desktop or my old Moto G4 running the same build of Excel. The freezing always happens as soon as I try to invoke the keyboard to edit a cell. I have tried creating blank spreadsheets and have had the same challenge. Reading the Excel reviews on the Play store it seems other Samsung owners are having the same issue.

Annoying but not a deal breaker. I love my Note 8! :)

z0ove

Oct 28, 2017
Visit site
I may have to make the switch to Sheets if I can't get Excel working.
With small spread sheet Excel can do it good, but when you start to add alot of formulas and sheets into the same book it turn sllow and laggy.

With Google Sheets, is not happening so far.

Don't waste your time trying Excel works. No point there

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I assume you use Office 365. And differences between free and subscribed. I got Office because Sheets is terrible with DeX, and MS i making a push to go in on Android.

I was using Sheets but Excel looked better, and was really Word/Excel long before Google Docs.

LuvULongTime

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I assume you use Office 365. And differences between free and subscribed. I got Office because Sheets is terrible with DeX, and MS i making a push to go in on Android.

I was using Sheets but Excel looked better, and was really Word/Excel long before Google Docs.

No O365 for me :(

I have the full desktop version on my PC which I believe is from a couple of years ago and then the app from the Play store. I use both to edit the same spreadsheets stored on my one drive.

LuvULongTime

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Thought I would update this thread. On a whim I decided to remove the frozen panes from both of my spreadsheets and lone and behold, no more freezing and crashing. It seems there is some kind of bug that causes Excel to crash when the keyboard opens in a spreadsheet with frozen panes.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I use Office 365, found it was much cheaper than buying every other upgrade of office, anyway. I have several work sheets with frozen panes that I work on regularly on my desktop, laptop, tablet and my phone (Note 8) and I have not seen any issues with any of them. I do find it difficult to get the input box at the top to show up when I have frozen panes, but it is just a matter of scrolling until it gets there. I've not had any freezes or "crapping" out of the app. Even though I have a 365 subscription, I still get my Excel software from the play store. In fact, I'm fairly sure that is where the office.microsoft.com sites sends you to load it onto your device. All that said, are your spread sheets updated to docx format or are you using compatibility mode? That could be the issue. Worth a shot as long as your other devices are up to date from a software standpoint.

BigRedGonzo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo