Missing Notifications from Stock Clock App

stuckinoh08

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I use a Galaxy S8+ with a Galaxy Watch.

I've noticed when using timers and stopwatches on my phone, I get word results regarding watch notifications.

When using the stock Samsung Clock app, I get no indication or notification on my watch that anything is running. There is also no record for the app in the notification settings in the "Gear Wearables" app.

When using Google's Clock app, I have different results. After starting a stopwatch or timer on this app, the watch displays a notification. While this notification doesn't offer great detail (i.e. time left on a timer or time passed on a stopwatch) it does offer some ability to manipulate the so directly from the watch, such as the ability to start/stop the timer or stopwatch.

I find it odd that such a feature would exist for a "third-party" app and not the stock, branded app. Am I just missing something? Had anyone else had any experience with this?

Does anyone else know how to start a timer on the phone, and actually monitor the time left from the watch?

Please have a look at the following photos for clarification.

http://imgur.com/a/SMk1Kkx

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Most timer apps ("start the timer, notify me when the time has run out" kind) use what's known as cron, a "chronometer daemon". It doesn't use any resources when it's running, the timer is put to sleep, then notified when the time it was set for is reached. (It doesn't "count down 30 seconds, it looks at the clock, figures what time it will be in 30 seconds, and chron wakes it at that time.) Some timers will show you the counted down time, but that's by entering a loop into chron, saying "wake me every second". So one "wake" says "a second has passed" and the timer updates the display, the other "wake" says "time's up" and the timer plays the alarm.

It's difficult to do that to the watch, talking to it every second, so most "alarm on the phone, set by the watch" setups simply set the alarm, then wait for the "time's up" wake to notify the watch. (Even if you set the alarm on the phone, then back out of it [turning the app off], then wipe it from recents [totally removing it from RAM], the alarm will sound [I just tried it to be sure]. The alarm app isn't running, only cron is - but it knows to call the alarm app when the alarm time is reached. It's a neat little *nix trick that's used to ave a lot of processing time and battery in a lot of apps.)

stuckinoh08

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Most timer apps ("start the timer, notify me when the time has run out" kind) use what's known as cron, a "chronometer daemon". It doesn't use any resources when it's running, the timer is put to sleep, then notified when the time it was set for is reached. (It doesn't "count down 30 seconds, it looks at the clock, figures what time it will be in 30 seconds, and chron wakes it at that time.) Some timers will show you the counted down time, but that's by entering a loop into chron, saying "wake me every second". So one "wake" says "a second has passed" and the timer updates the display, the other "wake" says "time's up" and the timer plays the alarm.

It's difficult to do that to the watch, talking to it every second, so most "alarm on the phone, set by the watch" setups simply set the alarm, then wait for the "time's up" wake to notify the watch. (Even if you set the alarm on the phone, then back out of it [turning the app off], then wipe it from recents [totally removing it from RAM], the alarm will sound [I just tried it to be sure]. The alarm app isn't running, only cron is - but it knows to call the alarm app when the alarm time is reached. It's a neat little *nix trick that's used to ave a lot of processing time and battery in a lot of apps.)

While this answer resolves part of my question, it fails to answer the primary question of why the watch fails to "interact"/communicate with the stock Samsung apps on my phone. Further testing revealed that not only are the stopwatch and timer effected, the alarms also fail to sync/ring across the devices.

AndroidvsOS

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
In my case, since Samsung removed the increasing volume option on the Alarm clock, i have been trying to find any clock application that has such feature (like the Google clock app) that will send the alarm to Samsung smartwatch, but nothing works.
Tried to play with notification settings on both phone and watch but still the Google clock alarm will go off on the phone and not the watch.
Seems to me Samsung is blocking any thirds party clock app from accessing their watch.