Missing notifications on the Watch 4...

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've read in different forum posts that some people are missing incoming notifications on their watch 4s. The notification marker (dot symbol) appears, but there is no notification popup screen. Did Samsung send out an update to fix this, or is this still an issue? I'm currently using a Samsung Gear Sport watch running Tizen and it works flawlessly for notifications, and I don't want to switch to a new Watch that possibly has such notification issues. Thanks.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I've read in different forum posts that some people are missing incoming notifications on their watch 4s. The notification marker (dot symbol) appears, but there is no notification popup screen. Did Samsung send out an update to fix this, or is this still an issue? I'm currently using a Samsung Gear Sport watch running Tizen and it works flawlessly for notifications, and I don't want to switch to a new Watch that possibly has such notification issues. Thanks.

Gmail still doesn't vibrate and turn on display, but that's the only one not working for me right now. That's a simple update though, so I wouldn't get hung up on minor glitches with notifications.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Gmail still doesn't vibrate and turn on display, but that's the only one not working for me right now. That's a simple update though, so I wouldn't get hung up on minor glitches with notifications.
Thanks for the response. So notifications for text messages and other apps work fine?

larrykay

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The notifications on my GW4 all work fine. I use outlook on my phone (S20U) (my gmail account comes through outlook) and all of my accounts notifications come through just fine, as does textra, NBC News, ...

larrykay

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Cool. Gmail is a biggie for me, but I can't imagine Google or Samsung not fixing this issue.

Out of curiosity, how do you have gmail set up? through the watch or the phone? I use outlook on the phone with 3 standard pop accounts and 2 gmail accounts and I get all of my notifications on my GW4.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how do you have gmail set up? through the watch or the phone? I use outlook on the phone with 3 standard pop accounts and 2 gmail accounts and I get all of my notifications on my GW4.
I have Gmail setup on my Samsung S21 phone, and I get notifications on my Gear Sport watch. Everything works flawlessly under Tizen.

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Its a hit or miss, sometimes the watch would vibrate and lit up the screen, sometimes the notification is quite and just shows the Orange dot indicator.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I have Gmail setup on my Samsung S21 phone, and I get notifications on my Gear Sport watch. Everything works flawlessly under Tizen.

Same here, but it's an easy fix, so I'm not too worried about it. If this is the deciding factor in one's determination on whether or not to upgrade to GW4 and gain Wear OS, I would say it's still a safe bet moving to Wear OS.

Problem is, unless Samsung plans to release other wearables running Tizen, their focus will shift and the momentum Tizen had will come to a grinding halt eventually.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
As a temporary fix for the missing Gmail notifications on my watch, I have the app called Macrodroid running on my phone which will send a vibrate command to my watch whenever I get a new Gmail notification. I've been testing it this morning and it seems to work. Definitely not a preferred permanent fix, but it will do until Samsung can send out a patch or OS update.