Mobile Deathmatch: Android 2.2 vs. iOS 4

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have big issues with their final 3 categories... Android has almost all the same apps that are available on the iPhone, plus stuff like tethering and Google Voice which Apple has repeatedly blocked. Also, Android comes with several different custom UI's, HTC's Sense for instance probably deserves a 8/10.

And maybe Android should get 10/10 for being on more than 1 US carrier? Just a thought =P

GlitchZero

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Apple has almost 2.5x the apps. Google hasn't even scratched the surface of the apps that Apple has. Hate to say it, but they still kick the crap out of the Market as far as app selection.

And yeah. But then they're on every major Canadian carrier, so the more than 1 carrier doesn't really hold weight anymore.

The themes and UIs alone should give Android a 50 point boost. :p

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Apple has almost 2.5x the apps. Google hasn't even scratched the surface of the apps that Apple has. Hate to say it, but they still kick the crap out of the Market as far as app selection.

And yeah. But then they're on every major Canadian carrier, so the more than 1 carrier doesn't really hold weight anymore.

The themes and UIs alone should give Android a 50 point boost. :p

While this difference may be true its no where near a deal breaker for anyone. Why you ask? Well Im on a palm pre and even with all the separate markets for apps I dont have as many as droid users have and I NEVER have trouble getting what I need. Same goes for my wifes moment and her market where I have never not been able to find exactly what I need. Remember its quality not quantity. This whole app struggle is, IMHO, moot and should be dropped.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Just looking at the topline scores, it seems as though the reviewer hasn't really used a Froyo device. I refuse to believe that email, internet browsing, etc., are significantly better on any iPhone. I've used the iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 as well as the Droid X and Incredible (both 2.1) and they are all comparable. The iPhones are not significantly better or easier as the review score would indicate from that article.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
While this difference may be true its no where near a deal breaker for anyone. Why you ask? Well Im on a palm pre and even with all the separate markets for apps I dont have as many as droid users have and I NEVER have trouble getting what I need. Same goes for my wifes moment and her market where I have never not been able to find exactly what I need. Remember its quality not quantity. This whole app struggle is, IMHO, moot and should be dropped.

Could not disagree more but that is what makes the world go around. The quality of apps available in the Apple's App Store is leaps and bounds higher than what is currently available on Android. I'm still struggling to find the perfect Twitter application on Android. Each one of them has a certain hangup that drives me insane. And maybe games are not important to everyone, and that's understandable but... way more high quality games in the App Store. So yeah, apps matter - big time.

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I hope the writer of the article sees this post in the articles comments section, because it really fixes most of the mistakes in the article (and there were so many):

thedroidgeek 21-Jul-10 6:11am

There are so many inaccuracies in your article it is not even funny. Instead of a fair comparisons of OS you are more of an apple fanboy ripping on Android without any real knowledge of its capabilities. I hope that you fix your article.

* "Android has a poorly chosen visual scheme for email: It uses white text on a black background (iOS 4 uses the inverse color scheme)."
o Where are you getting this from? Mine is white background and black text!?
* "you have to use the Menu button when in a message to forward it"
o not true - you can forward a message without clicking the menu. There is an option to reply, replay all, or forward at the bottom of the message.
* "iOS 4 remembers the email addresses of senders you reply to, adding them to a database of contacts that it looks up automatically as you tap characters into the To and Cc fields; Android doesn't do that."
o Sure does. It syncs with google contacts. Also, in my contacts will automatically look up the email if i begin typing the name or email
* Both iOS 4 and Android OS 2.2 have capable Contacts apps, but it's easier to navigate through your entries in iOS 4. You can jump easily to names by tapping a letter, such as "T" to get to people whose last names begin with "T,
o You can do something very similar on android but don't even mention it. When in contacts you slide up or down and a gray box appears You can slide the box right to "T"
* "Unlike Apple's App Store, the Android Market is not curated, which makes it easier for developers to get their apps listed but has also let cyber thieves create phishing apps "
o Where are your facts ? The link you point to is about "Developers complain that the total number of downloads for applications has dropped"
* "If you want to get down and dirty, you can "root" the Android OS to install apps from other sources."
o WHAT!?!?!? you dont need to root at all. There is a checkbox in Settings - Applications - Unknown Sources
* Multitasking - Dont even get me started on how much you support apples "multitasking". You could at least add that holding the home button pops up a list of last used apps.
* "iOS also lets you add Web pages to the home screens as if they were apps -- that's great for the many mobile Web pages that are essentially Web apps, such as iphone.infoworld.com."
o So can android. Long press the home screen and select shortcuts - Bookmark
* "OS 4 added the ability to create app folders, which can be useful to reduce scrolling among home pages. Unfortunately, the folder icons are too small to make out, so knowing what's in a folder is not always easy. Android has no folder capability."
o Blatant lie. Long press the home screen and select FOLDERS
* "users might happily disable it if they frequent Flash-based sites. (The only way to do that is to uninstall it.)"
o Wrong again. I have mine on demand and only comes up when i click the flash box. Within browser go to settings - enable plugins. You can set it to enable, on demand, or disable.
* ". If you're tapping away and realize you've made a mistake not caught by the autocorrect feature, such as when typing a URL, you can't simply move the text cursor to that error's location in the text. You have to backspace to that point, erasing the text in between"
o WHAT?!!!! Just tap the location where you made an error and correct it. Also I have the ability to use swype or any other keyboard app..does apple allow that?
* "Android does support complex passwords, VPNs, and SSL message encryption."
o I dont know much about android corporate settings but I do know it has VPN support. Settings - Wireless and Networks - VPN Settings

You make no mention of androids widgets on the homescreen. Or its ability to support real time notifications. There are so many more things as well....

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site

I agree, I get everything I want and need from the Market. And the games are coming for those who want them. Plus the Google apps are better on Android.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
@wmtoandroid

He was spot on! Glad he took the time to write that rebuttal as it was obvious the auther was clueless about many of Android's features. He schooled him pretty good there.

Last edited:

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
@wmtoandroid

He was spot on! Glad he took the time to write that rebuttal as it was obvious the auther was clueless about many of Android's features. He schooled him pretty good there.

I'm also glad he wrote the "corrections". When reading the actual article, I didn't know if he was really talking about Android or what, because I didn't have any of the problems that he apparently was all over.

Also, the article writers tone when talking about Android was of pure contempt, it's like he hated it and didn't want to waste a single breath discussing it. Not a very good way to write a comparison between two devices if you ask me.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
worst article ever written. Comments were spot on. The author was clearly an Apple fanboy and the overall article was puffed up biased review.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Looks like he changed up the rooting for applications, but he still calls changing a simple default system setting, one changeable completely within the default android system menu's as a hack.

Last edited:

eyesparky

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Quite amusing how some people like to highlight their stupidity. The scary thing is that this person likely got paid for writing such inconsequential drivel. We live in strange times ...

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Quite amusing how some people like to highlight their stupidity. The scary thing is that this person likely got paid for writing such inconsequential drivel. We live in strange times ...

The problem is its harder and harder to find a good subjective piece anywhere in news today. Writers are given for every job to write it like an editorial when once upon a time, writers were specifically told to keep themselves out of articles. Its even harder for reviews, as they do need a degree of subjectivity to come up with a rating.

The trick should be to find someone tech savvy that is driven by technology and innovation. Not one that really really really likes his Iphone and has become so used to it, that the only way someone can compete with it is to copy it. This guy was handed an Android phone hours before he got this. Its obvious that he struggles to see how the Iphone even if not perfect isn't taking the better route 90% of the time.

Perfect example is the browser conversation. An android is able to play flash be he can't give it credit in his review because its a beta that has to be loaded from the Market. So an Android can't be better then an Iphone, because you have to load an app, vs. Not being able to install it at all. That right there is one of the clearest forms of Fanboism as you can get. Being able to install an application to get extra functionality shouldn't be ignored when the only other alternative is not running it at all. On the other hand I would down rate the Andriod if you had to install it, if the Ios4 could do it out of the box.

Stupid internet has allowed any one with a voice to be considered some kind of journalist. Because of the love for "blogs", now every damn online news source lets their writers bring their opinions and Bias to every article they write.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

Quantity is not everything, but more and more of the best apps on iPhone are starting to appear on other platforms. Also you may want to read the blogs again. Android is on target to top 100,000 apps by this fall. Still not as many as iPhone but def finitely more than scratching the surface.

Just looking at the topline scores, it seems as though the reviewer hasn't really used a Froyo device. I refuse to believe that email, internet browsing, etc., are significantly better on any iPhone. I've used the iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 as well as the Droid X and Incredible (both 2.1) and they are all comparable. The iPhones are not significantly better or easier as the review score would indicate from that article.

He hasn't even used 2.1 significantly let alone 2.2. He's so biased it isn't even finny. Between the inaccurate information and the fact that he does not even discuss the things Android has as strengths over iOS4 clearly show his bias.

jwebste9

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
wmtoandroid

you made my day by reading that just so you know. The thing is though, i am in the process of switching from BB to droid at the moment, and had you know posted waht you did i may have believed the article.

Just goes to show why reading forums is a good thing and not poorly written articles!

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
wmtoandroid

you made my day by reading that just so you know. The thing is though, i am in the process of switching from BB to droid at the moment, and had you know posted waht you did i may have believed the article.

Just goes to show why reading forums is a good thing and not poorly written articles!

Thanks.

I think when it comes down to reviews, you always have to be picky and know what the source is. If you are reading an Android phone review on an "iPhonePhanz" site, you better expect to have some bias against it.

When I came to Android from Windows Mobile, I checked out a lot of USER reviews, not blogs or websites, as I found them to be the most honest.

Good luck on your transition over to Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene