Mobile Hotspot question

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a CDMA iPhone 4 with Unlimited Data $30/mo. I also have the 2GB hotspot feature for $20/mo. If I switch to the Droid Bionic, here are my questions:

1) Do I understand correctly that I will be able to keep the Unlimited Data plan for $30/mo?

2) What will happen to my hotspot feature? Will it go up to $30/mo but be unlimited, or is it still 2GB?

Thanks!

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Here's the current thing u may like and worth checking out we maybe to order hotspot 30$ unlimited feature. But your plan shouldn't change.

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Here's the current thing u may like and worth checking out we maybe to order hotspot 30$ unlimited feature. But your plan shouldn't change.

I think he is trying to say that if you get the mobile hot spot right now for 4g phones, it is unlimited but does cost $30.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Correct I just hope vzw offers this plan to us bionic users

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Correct I just hope vzw offers this plan to us bionic users

Sent from Tapatalk using Droid BionicX!

They will. My buddy already offered it to me the last time we talked about my appointment on thursday if I wanted the unlimited tether for $30.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Don't know where I saw this but here is what i have seen:

That looks like it came from the VZW Twitter account.

So I wonder if the $30/mo Unlimited tethering will be the only option? Or would I be able to keep the $20/mo 2GB Tethering plan?

Or do you guys think the Bluetooth tethering option will work without having to pay for a separate plan? I realize that it will be less range and limited to one device at a time, but that would be more than enough for me, I think.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
That looks like it came from the VZW Twitter account.

So I wonder if the $30/mo Unlimited tethering will be the only option? Or would I be able to keep the $20/mo 2GB Tethering plan?

Or do you guys think the Bluetooth tethering option will work without having to pay for a separate plan? I realize that it will be less range and limited to one device at a time, but that would be more than enough for me, I think.

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe you will keep whatever plan you are on unless you choose to change it. Verizon has been consistent in saying that upgrading your phone won't do anything to your plan.
My advice is to call them ahead of time. If they tell you that you can keep your plan when you upgrade your phone, make sure they put a note of that on your account.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I believe the tethering option for 4g smartphones is $30. I was just looking into this the other day. The site doesn't mention if there's a cap or not.

Last edited:

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe the tethering option for 4g smartphones is $30. I was just looking into this the other day. The site doesn't mention if there's a cap or not.

Ok, I'm a bit confused. I keep seeing people talk about a $30 unlimited tethering data plan. There is no such beast for phones that I can find on Verizon's site. They only advertise the mobile hotspot feature. Is this only for grandfathered in people or what?

Verizon's website:
Data Bundle with Personal Email
Data Packages for Basic Phones & Smartphones1
Monthly Data Allowance Monthly Access Fee Rate After Allowance
75 MB (for basic phones only) $10.00 Includes Mobile Email, VZ Navigator and Ringback Tones* $10/75MB
2 GB2 $30 $10/1 GB
5 GB $50 $10/1 GB
10 GB $80 $10/1 GB
Data Bundle with Personal Email & Mobile Hotspot
Data Packages with Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connect3 for Basic Phones & Smartphones1
4 GB2 $50 $10/1 GB
7 GB $70 $10/1 GB
12 GB $100 $10/1 GB

916ninja

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm a bit confused. I keep seeing people talk about a $30 unlimited tethering data plan. There is no such beast for phones that I can find on Verizon's site. They only advertise the mobile hotspot feature. Is this only for grandfathered in people or what?

Verizon's website:
Data Bundle with Personal Email
Data Packages for Basic Phones & Smartphones1
75 MB (for basic phones only) $10.00 Includes Mobile Email, VZ Navigator and Ringback Tones* $10/75MB
2 GB2 $30 $10/1 GB
5 GB $50 $10/1 GB
10 GB $80 $10/1 GB
Data Bundle with Personal Email & Mobile Hotspot
Data Packages with Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connect3 for Basic Phones & Smartphones1
4 GB2 $50 $10/1 GB
7 GB $70 $10/1 GB
12 GB $100 $10/1 GB

It's a promo they are offering for 4g only. You probably have to call in to get it changed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's a promo they are offering for 4g only. You probably have to call in to get it changed.

So, tethering and mobile hotspot are the same thing or different in the context of this thread? I find it odd they'd have a secret plan for unlimited data tethering/hotspot at only $30 when the 4 GB hotspot plan is $50.
I hate talking to reps. I trust setting up my options online way more. LOL

Digging around more online, I think this may have been a promo deal for the TBolt and/or a grandfathered in plan for people going from 3G to 4G. I'll probably have to talk to a rep to find out if it's available for me moving from a 3G Xoom to the Bionic.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, I guess I will find out Thursday. I'm fine either way, but the unlimited tethering would be nice. Right now, I have the 2GB tethering and I rarely reach the 2GB.... BUT that's on 3G. On 4G, can imagine going over the 2GB when using my iPad and/or Macbook Air with it on the go.

SpaceCracker

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
For Grandfathered people. On the Verizon site, if I go to upgrade my old Droid I have the option to add unlimited mobile hotspot for 30 bucks. Works for only the 4g phones. If your not in a 4g area then you have unlimited 3g. I actually will only pay 24 bucks for the hotspot with my discount through work :)

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
For Grandfathered people. On the Verizon site, if I go to upgrade my old Droid I have the option to add unlimited mobile hotspot for 30 bucks. Works for only the 4g phones. If your not in a 4g area then you have unlimited 3g. I actually will only pay 24 bucks for the hotspot with my discount through work :)

Yeah, i'm on the fence about that. I may 'consider' adding the unlimited hotspot due to my wife now having a Nook Color that i installed CM7 on and for when I do use my laptop instead of the lapdock (games, etc... where i need more than a citrix 'remote desktop' ) I think it'd be $25 for me, if I'm doing my math right on a 17% discount. Basically the same as my already unlimited data.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I confirmed with my local VZW corporate store that the hotspot would be the $30/mo for Unlimited if you are currently grandfathered on Unlimited Data plan. I too have a work discount on that, so I'm definitely going for it to use with my iPad and Macbook Air. For a week, I'll only have 3G access since 4G is coming to my area on 9/15!

doogan123

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I Am currently grandfathered into the unlimited plan on my BBERRY. My question is if I go to costco or one of these other outlets to get this more cost effective - will I still be eligible for the unlimited mi-fi. thanks all

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac