Most Android Tablets are expensive toys

ManThatCan

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[3]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[4] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Just saying........

I don't think this is "off topic". I have bought on of these devices and have been disappointed in this ONE area, many other areas of the device are excellent, in fact the N7 is the best tablet at this moment in time (except for the iPad), (IMO).

IMO - that's important because surely EVERY post you make has an implied "IMO" ?, so when I say most Android tablets are "expensive toys" because I've had issues with there WiFi connectivity, that's IMO. That doesn't (I believe) make me a troll. We have had an interesting discussion, sometimes you have to "shake the tree" a little ! :)

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this is "off topic". I have bought on of these devices and have been disappointed in this ONE area, many other areas of the device are excellent, in fact the N7 is the best tablet at this moment in time (except for the iPad), (IMO).

IMO - that's important because surely EVERY post you make has an implied "IMO" ?, so when I say most Android tablets are "expensive toys" because I've had issues with there WiFi connectivity, that's IMO. That doesn't (I believe) make me a troll. We have had an interesting discussion, sometimes you have to "shake the tree" a little ! :)

You can set up your laptop to broadcast proper WiFi. Stop suggesting the N7 is inferior to the iPad in connectivity because it doesn't use an archaic, insecure, communications protocol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

quarky_uk

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Just been to Paris for work. Took my nexus and laptop, and didn't even user my laptop. Why? I have all my music, ebooks, movies, email and of course a browser on my tablet (free WiFi at stations, in the hotel and of course in the office).

The most important thing, and what really differentiates it from the iPad2 I used to have, is Evernote which I didn't have before, but most importantly, Swype. I can actually use it for taking notes in meetings and sending my emails. A decent input, and the size means that next time, I won't bother taking my laptop. I was never inn that position before.

Of course it doesn't do everything, but tablets are coming off age. Well android tablet anyway!

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Now understand that OP is running win7 with Connectify on his Dell laptop. Is this Connectify lite or Connectify Pro? I have Connectify lite on my HPdm-4010us which has a SIM card slot which I have thought about trying to fill and pay the $30 for Pro.But I would use WPA2 and wifi to allow connection to the N7 and my HPTouchpad and Blackberry Playbook. N7 may be difficult to hook up to WEP networks. Is OP saying he can't get a wifi hot spot? Why insist on an ad hoc connection? What is going to be accomplished by tethering that cant be done over hot spot wifi..Like a lot of threads this seems to require a lot of back and forth to get down to the nitty gritty. Apologize for my false assumption , based on the comments in the first post, that he was running Linux.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I got some great use out of my N7 for work. Was rearranging a couple home entertainment systems for a customer, and needed to know how to change how their Dish receiver was set up. Quick Google search found a manual, which I was able to then reference several times for receiver & remote setup. They were ecstatic that I had everything done, including little details like reprogramming the remotes, very quickly, and was much, much quicker than the Dish person who had originally set them up. The whole time I was tethered through my Razr. Brilliant. :)

*edit* Oh, and I also looked up a component they needed on Amazon & ordered it on the tablet, so I didn't have to do it when I got back to the office.

Last edited:

ManThatCan

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Now understand that OP is running win7 with Connectify on his Dell laptop. Is this Connectify lite or Connectify Pro? I have Connectify lite on my HPdm-4010us which has a SIM card slot which I have thought about trying to fill and pay the $30 for Pro.But I would use WPA2 and wifi to allow connection to the N7 and my HPTouchpad and Blackberry Playbook. N7 may be difficult to hook up to WEP networks. Is OP saying he can't get a wifi hot spot? Why insist on an ad hoc connection? What is going to be accomplished by tethering that cant be done over hot spot wifi..Like a lot of threads this seems to require a lot of back and forth to get down to the nitty gritty. Apologize for my false assumption , based on the comments in the first post, that he was running Linux.

Sorry ! That's my fault. Yes I've tried both sides of the connection. I recently got two Dells as a job lot (D430) and put the best bits into one and sold the other. I invested in Connectify Pro (?19) as the "lite" version doesn't even want to share out the 3G connection. Even then the Wi-Fi "face" of the connection is only being created as "Ad-Hoc" and I was annoyed when my shiny new N7 won't "see" it and my mates iPad sees it straight off. I've also encountered a number of other ad-hoc WiFis in pubs, cafes. I appeciate the security side, I'm not wanting to do my banking over these ! I doesn't look like the N7 is going to take this "backward" step (yes other posters, I do acknowledge it's a backward step), so maybe the way forward is to get a newer WiFi card for my baby Dell (or a brand spanking new laptop) - Christmas is coming after all !

You can set up your laptop to broadcast proper WiFi. Stop suggesting the N7 is inferior to the iPad in connectivity because it doesn't use an archaic, insecure, communications protocol.

I do agree with that, my focus is now on moving the laptop forwards, rather than the N7 backwards - I am warming to this little table.

rajeev_k

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Even if it had a 3G/4g option I'd still go wifi only. I am always home, I work from home. So I don't need another data plan anyway. I consume content on my devices, I treat it like the expensive gadgets that they are, not toys.

I too consume lots of data on my tablet. I feel more comfortable working on device rather that PC. But i always use 3g network as I am a professional and always need to go outdoors for attending meetings and all. And I must say that tablet is not only a toy but more that a simple PC.

Rhea45

May 6, 2013
Visit site
The fact that my Nexus 7 does many useful things, by definition, prevents it from being an expensive toy. On the other hand, my former Kindle Fire HD WAS merely a toy.

Amazon would tout a huge selection of free books and then provide items like flower identification guides without any illustrations (thank goodness for the Gutenberg Project).

Amazon would also secure the first of a series of educational or therapeutic apps for free without permitting ANY access to the rest of a given product suite, nor even a pro version.

I finally got disgusted and gave the 'Fire to my partner and am completely enjoying a huge realm of functionality with my Nexus.

In addition, contrary to what most civic leaders believe, city-wide wi-fi can be a HUGE boost to tourism and the city economy. I have been in two such places and it is amazing being able to instantly access shop hours, location, and inventory.

I have never been so impressed with such a device. I really never intended to have a tablet - but this device helps me organize local versus online shopping; MD appointments for 4 people; and so many other things even including social networking like Pinterest - I take my tablet EVERYWHERE. I never would have used my laptops like that. Heck, I even access my tablet WHILE using my PC.

I guess I am in love. I can't wait for the "real" versions to come out. The Nexus 7 is a HUGE improvement; but the Kindle Fires are totally beta-tests.

~Rhea

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Tablets are pretty much toys. Period. Android, iPad, whatever. All toys. They are almost utterly useless at generating content of any type and are useful only for consuming content, pretty much. Actual use case scenarios are very limited. And, honestly, a practical use case for most tablets is going to be in a WiFi environment, so the addition of a cellular data radio increases the chances of it being a toy.

Haha yeah right They are NOT expensive toys, they are computers.

Look at the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and Sony Xperia Z4, Nexus 9, software/apps are getting more advanced every year and you can do very demanding and productivity tasks like video editing, office and a lot more on Android tablets and Ipads!!!

There are lot of people that use tablets for school, business, and professional/serious content creation like video/photo editing, office and a lot more!!!

So no Android tablets and Ipads are very far from being toys!!!

Last edited:

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Haha yeah right They are NOT expensive toys, they are computers.

Look at the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and Sony Xperia Z4, Nexus 9, software/apps are getting more advanced every year and you can do very demanding and productivity tasks like video editing, office and a lot more on Android tablets and Ipads!!!

There are lot of people that use tablets for school, business, and professional/serious content creation like video/photo editing, office and a lot more!!!

So no Android tablets and Ipads are very far from being toys!!!

Don't feed this ancient thread

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54