Moto G Power Unlocked - How to disable/remove up arrow on homescreen

xHopalong

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi Folks,

So I just got this phone and I've been customizing it for the past couple of days. The only problem that I seem to have come across is how to remove the small "up" arrow on the home screen. The arrow only tells you where the invisible line is on the screen to swipe to open the app drawer, it doesn't actually do anything else (except take up screen room in my opinion) when you click on it.

After some googling, some posts across the web seem to recommend a 3rd party software or changing something in "Settings/Accessibility". But these posts seem to predate Android 10 or not specific to the Moto G Power.

I'm hoping that I just missed a very basic setting and I'd rather not download a 3rd party software if I don't have to (but I am open to recommendations) and my search of "Settings" did not seem to reveal any answers.

Any assistance in this would be appreciated and thank you for reading.

Screenshot_20201203-020538.jpg

xHopalong

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
@BDIddy, Thank you.

Yes, this is stock, what you see in the screenshot, reflects my customizations:
- solid black background.
- "Gestures" replaced with the 3 buttons.
- private info displayed above Docs edited out.

That tiny arrow takes up room for 5 apps links. I am on the Mint Mobile network and here is a link to where I purchased the product:
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Batter...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6893088

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's just part of the stock Moto launcher and you can't get rid of it. You would have to download and use a third party launcher that doesn't have that as part of the home screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I agree, that looks like it's part of the launcher itself. But it's odd that it takes up a whole row -- on my Pixel 3 XL, the arrow is in between rows. Does the Moto stock launcher give you an option to modify how many available rows are on the homescreen? Long-press any empty part of the homescreen and tap Home Settings to see.

EDIT: the Moto support site clearly shows the arrow, so it's definitely part of the stock launcher. (Moto messed up the diagram, though -- they point to it but don't describe it correctly.) https://support.motorola.com/us/en/solution/MS148666

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I agree, that looks like it's part of the launcher itself. But it's odd that it takes up a whole row -- on my Pixel 3 XL, the arrow is in between rows. Does the Moto stock launcher give you an option to modify how many available rows are on the homescreen? Long-press any empty part of the homescreen and tap Home Settings to see.

EDIT: the Moto support site clearly shows the arrow, so it's definitely part of the stock launcher. (Moto messed up the diagram, though -- they point to it but don't describe it correctly.) https://support.motorola.com/us/en/solution/MS148666
I'm pretty sure that's been the same way on my Moto Z4, Z3, Z2 Force and Z Force. Same functionality and same erroneous description. They should describe it as a single swipe upward to access your apps, instead of a single touch.

Macdtek

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
Yep the same on my old Moto g8plus, current g9plus and 2 Moto g7 lites. It just shows where the app draw is.