Moto X 2014 I've returned it...

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: I've returned it...

I've been seriously considering returning it because of the battery life, for example, today around 2pm it was already on 28% (took off charger at 7). I guess I am a power user as I'm always on my phone reading or texting someone. It seems to be just about the same as my OG X but like others, I can't bring myself to return it. I love the premium in-hand feel, screen, size, twist to open and voice actions too much. The phone is almost like a work of art to me.

I'm always near a charger in my car, work, home, friends houses and I have the Micro Power Pack if I'm ever in an emergency situation so I think I'll be okay. I was thinking about the Turbo but I don't think it looks near as nice and the nexus is just way too big for me so the X is the best alternative.

Posted via the Android Central App - Moto X (2nd. Gen)

I note that your wifi is always on in your mobile data connection for the most part is pretty weak. If you have wifi access then you probably don't need the mobile data radio working to pull a weak unused signal. If you're on mobile then you don't need the WiFi radio on. Not an expert, but it seems that that combination is probably using more battery than it should.

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I note that your wifi is always on in your mobile data connection for the most part is pretty weak. If you have wifi access then you probably don't need the mobile data radio working to pull a weak unused signal. If you're on mobile then you don't need the WiFi radio on. Not an expert, but it seems that that combination is probably using more battery than it should.

True, I don't need both at the same time but I also don't want to go through the hassle of turning mobile data off every time I'm on a WiFi connection and then turning it back on when I'm not. Feel free to enlighten me if there is a different method or if there is something I'm missing.

Also, I use an Incipio DualPro case on mine at work but otherwise I leave it naked. I've been waiting for my Hulu bumper from Motorola though.

Posted via the Android Central App - Moto X (2nd. Gen)

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I don't believe this is true. The phone should disable mobile data while connected to a WiFi network. Voice would then revert to CDMA. This explains why simultaneous data and voice is possible only while on WiFi (for the new Moto X) and upcoming Droid Turbo... At least until VOLTE is activated on the phone, then everything changes.

Sent from Uranus

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

I don't believe this is true. The phone should disable mobile data while connected to a WiFi network. Voice would then revert to CDMA. This explains why simultaneous data and voice is possible only while on WiFi (for the new Moto X) and upcoming Droid Turbo... At least until VOLTE is activated on the phone, then everything changes.

Sent from Uranus

While it's true that is not using mobile data when connected to wifi, the mobile radio is always on and pulling a signal. Otherwise the battery monitor would not be able to report the strength of the mobile signal, which it is reporting throughout the entire period.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

True, I don't need both at the same time but I also don't want to go through the hassle of turning mobile data off every time I'm on a WiFi connection and then turning it back on when I'm not. Feel free to enlighten me if there is a different method or if there is something I'm missing.

I haven't used it but I've heard mention here of an app called "automateit" which will let you set simple rules, like if wifi is connected turn off the mobile radio. Etc. More generally I was thinking that if you're somewhere regularly for many hours where you're going to be on wifi you should turn the mobile radio off since you're getting very poor signal for an unused radio.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
While it's true that is not using mobile data when connected to wifi, the mobile radio is always on and pulling a signal. Otherwise the battery monitor would not be able to report the strength of the mobile signal, which it is reporting throughout the entire period.

I'm pretty sure the radio that's used to maintain a voice connection while on WiFi is CDMA (1X). Very different from the LTE data radio. This is why SVDO works on some phones. Others like the X will have to wait for VOLTE. So I disagree. Can any actual science geeks weigh in here?

Sent from Uranus

phatboy29m

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site

I'm a power user as well and the battery has been a huge disappointment. I came to the X from an S5 and with identical usage I get no where near the battery time of my old S5. I find myself having to charge it around 2pm every day after taking it off the charger at 7am. With the S5 I would make it through the day. I thought that the innovation and features of the X would make me forget my S5 now I wish I hadn't of sold it, as my 14 day return window has passed.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I use Notification Toggles but there is also Power Widget, I always toggle off data, wifi or bluetooth when I don't need them. I don't know how much it help, but my battery life is better than most people.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

I use Notification Toggles but there is also Power Widget, I always toggle off data, wifi or bluetooth when I don't need them. I don't know how much it help, but my battery life is better than most people.

Is there some automated product that can toggle wifi and/on and off along with the cellular data? My issue that is that sometimes I forget and get home. Then when I wake up in the morning I discover that I had used mobile data all night long and in some instances for days.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Is there some automated product that can toggle wifi and/on and off along with the cellular data? My issue that is that sometimes I forget and get home. Then when I wake up in the morning I discover that I had used mobile data all night long and in some instances for days.

You could try using Tasker. It can do just about anything, but its learning curve is steep and it may take some time to get it to do exactly what you want. Personally I have not used it, but there are tutorials on the web for how to set it up.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

There are a few, but they do take some work to setup. The most popular automation program is Tasker, but it can be overwhelming to use at first. The easier program to use is Trigger which is more user friendly. See attachment for example of some profiles I made with Trigger. For the Car mode, it trigger based on Bluetooth connection, and for Home and Work mode are triggered base on geo location.

The is one problem I found with Trigger is that there isn't an "exit" task. This is why I recommend Tasker, since it's more powerful and when you create a task, you can add a pairing exit task. For example, if you create a "Work" profile that set the ringtone on vibrate when you are connected to your work's WiFi, you can create an exit task that turn on ringing when you're no longer connect to that WiFi. For Trigger, there is no pairing exit tasks, so you have to create a separate task that does the opposite and it isn't as organized. If you don't create an exit task, if your phone is set on silent or vibrate, and it won't return to ringing mode automatically, you could be missing calls.

Personally, I think Motorola should be adding these features to Moto Assist by now, or at least some of it, it would make life much easier and I wouldn't have to use Tasker.

More battery saving recommendations:
-Manually adjust your brightness.The sensor will be working constantly on auto brightness, so manual brightness can save some battery, I don't know how much.
-Disabling keyboard vibration, this can make a big difference imo.
-Disable autosyncing, use the app "Synker". It let you put a widget on your homescreen and let you select what you want to sync each time you press it.

Attachments

• trigger.jpg
    trigger.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

galatians51

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
There are a few, but they do take some work to setup. The most popular automation program is Tasker, but it can be overwhelming to use at first. The easier program to use is Trigger which is more user friendly. See attachment for example of some profiles I made with Trigger. For the Car mode, it trigger based on Bluetooth connection, and for Home and Work mode are triggered base on geo location.

The is one problem I found with Trigger is that there isn't an "exit" task. This is why I recommend Tasker, since it's more powerful and when you create a task, you can add a pairing exit task. For example, if you create a "Work" profile that set the ringtone on vibrate when you are connected to your work's WiFi, you can create an exit task that turn on ringing when you're no longer connect to that WiFi. For Trigger, there is no pairing exit tasks, so you have to create a separate task that does the opposite and it isn't as organized. If you don't create an exit task, if your phone is set on silent or vibrate, and it won't return to ringing mode automatically, you could be missing calls.

Personally, I think Motorola should be adding these features to Moto Assist by now, or at least some of it, it would make life much easier and I wouldn't have to use Tasker.

More battery saving recommendations:
-Manually adjust your brightness.The sensor will be working constantly on auto brightness, so manual brightness can save some battery, I don't know how much.
-Disabling keyboard vibration, this can make a big difference imo.
-Disable autosyncing, use the app "Synker". It let you put a widget on your homescreen and let you select what you want to sync each time you press it.

You could also try IFTTT, it has geofence. There are a bunch of recipes people have written to do just this.

Posted via the Android Central App

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Some pictures I've taken with my Moto X. I'm not getting what people expect from a camera phone. You're just splitting hairs over how less bad the images are. Unless you're shooting with an APS-C or 35mm sensor your images aren't going to be exceptional.

Attachments

• 5332.jpg
    5332.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 5321.jpg
    5321.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 1064.jpg
    1064.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 5331.jpg
    5331.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 1038.jpg
    1038.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 186

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

The camera is fine. Don't think it isn't. It is perfect for everyday use. You want frameable photos to put on your wall? Buy another phone. I thought the original X was ok for everyday use too, but most seem to disagree. I love this phone!

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Those pics suck. What the hell, is there a fire nearby? Way yellow! Mine ain't like that! LOL

Not sure if you're joking or not but they've been post processed to shift the white balance. Here are some of the stock pictures, the detail is impeccable in my opinion.

Attachments

• 5324.jpg
    5324.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 5322.jpg
    5322.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 5315.jpg
    5315.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 167

Forum statistics