Moto X over Nexus 5

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Every time I pick up someone else's phone to check the time I get disappointed that the active notifications didn't activate. I couldn't take the disappointment every time I took my phone out of my pocket.

Yeah. I spent like four months using an HTC one daily , Now on a moto x. The moto x spoils you. Seriously hard to live without active display after you get used to it.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
For me it is the larger screen, faster updates and Google Wallet. I have used it regularly on previous nexus devices.

The things I like on the Moto x are touch less control, active notifications and battery life. Oh and that vibrate mode is outstanding! If you cannot feel the Moto x vibrating, you have nerve damage.

I am fortunate in being able to get both. I usually have at least two devices to switch between and I am looking forward to have these two devices for a while.

Sent from my Moto X!

That is fortunate. Do you swap sims or do you have 2 accounts?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to play with the Nexus 5 yet -

but based on what I've seen so far from hands-ons plus the spec sheet -

• I don't want nor need a phone of that size. I want a phone that's the size of the Moto X or smaller.
  • 1080 vs 720 is irrelevant to me at screens of this size 4.5" through 5.5".
  • SAMOLED vs LCD - I'd rather have an AMOLED screen mainly due to Motorola's Active Notifications feature
  • In the cases where I've used Touchless Control I don't touch the phone. "OK Google Now" with the screen off (and phone unlocked) trumps "OK Google" with the phone on AND on the homescreen. Plus, any new commands built into Google Now will for the most part automatically be added to anyone using Google Now unless it's KitKat specific.
  • The Moto X camera is constantly improving. It's been good enough for my use. I've received a lot of compliments on it when using it with my family and friends.
  • Motorola Skip and Trusted Bluetooth could probably be replaced by other apps but I like the convenience.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
If you sell, you have to pay an ETF?

You don't Have to, but I like to keep my plan down to 3 lines if possible just to keep my average cost per month down.
4th lines for me are always temporary lines while I buying and selling phones.
Most phones will sell for enough to pay the ETF if you use them for 3-5 months before moving onto the next big thing.
I have discovered I am a phone junkie. I don't know that I will ever keep a phone for more than 6 months ever again.
I still would love to try an LG G2, a Note 3, a Nexus 5, and a BB Z30, and Nokia 1520 lol.
I won't make it to all those phones before something else comes out. The Note 3 is at the top of that list since I have never had a device so large and the Nexus 5.

My game works like this:
I add line 4 with new device after having line 3 for 3-6 months. I sell whatever the old phone is on line 3 and pay the ETF on that line.
ETF starts at $350 and goes down $10 a month.
When I ETF line 3, being 3-6 months old, I pay around $300 ETF +/- a few bucks. Rinse and repeat.
Works for me and I don't have to have any device more than 6 months.

My plan its a grandfathered AT&T 700 min. $69.99 where each line is $9.99 a month. I have an old Motorola Razor flip phone left over that I use as a placeholder since it doesn't have a data package. And whatever phone I have at the time gets moved to my primary line.
Takes a little work but the end results are new toys basically whenever I want them.

That sounds pretty cool, but a lot of work..at least for this senior. Does that mean you have to constantly be changing phone #'s or do you use the "placemat" as your prime #?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
That sounds pretty cool, but a lot of work..at least for this senior. Does that mean you have to constantly be changing phone #'s or do you use the "placemat" as your prime #?

I always move whatever phone I am using to my primary phone number and I keep the same number.
I ETF lines 3 and 4 all the time and just use placeholder phones on those lines while they are active.
It's not really much work. I sell local using Craigslist using Google Voice number for that so they don't have my real primary phone number.
I meet them at AT&T usually (always in a public place)
I carry a money marker (checks to make sure bills are real) and I make sure I add no pay pal, no mailing, no checks and spell out some of the numbers to keep spam down.
I still usually get 10 of those (1/3) messages from some scammer... you know.. the ones like this:
1/3 I would love to buy your phone, however, I am in the hospital and would like you to mail the phone to my son in Tim Buck Two....
I will include an extra $100 for your trouble...

blah blah blah - ya right.

I always respond to those with " Sure, you mail CASH in a box with a return label to address you want the phone mailed to, once the cash is received I will mail the phone to you"
I never hear back from them again lol

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Well for $350 off contract just use both :p I will certainly be picking one up!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The "always listening" does bug me a bit. I mean, yeah, my devices could be doing that now, but the X explicitly does it. I know the Moto X has it built in, so it doesn't have to report back, but still... I do like it's other features, apart from the price tag compared to the N5 though. And, the N5 has Sprint Spark, and I am lucky enough to be in/near a Spark city, so I can play with that too. It's a toss-up. That, and I want Moto Maker for non-AT&Pay phones.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The "always listening" does bug me a bit. I mean, yeah, my devices could be doing that now, but the X explicitly does it. I know the Moto X has it built in, so it doesn't have to report back, but still... I do like it's other features, apart from the price tag compared to the N5 though. And, the N5 has Sprint Spark, and I am lucky enough to be in/near a Spark city, so I can play with that too. It's a toss-up. That, and I want Moto Maker for non-AT&Pay phones.

What??!!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 5 is boring. Gawd awful boring. ....get that OS and wait.....then wait some more while moto kicks but. Nexus is so dead.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
One more thing the Nexus has that I wish my Moto X did is wireless charging. I have to break out my LG charging mat since I just got my Nexus 5 tacking number. Although not the most earth shattering feature, it is handy to me when I am in my office at my desk.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 5 is boring. Gawd awful boring. ....get that OS and wait.....then wait some more while moto kicks but. Nexus is so dead.

It is so dead some models sold out in 30 minutes...yeah right...I am sure Google wishes all their stuff was this "dead".

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As long as you have to remove a case to do wireless charging, then wireless charging isn't for me.
Even if I just got a TPU case.:) Ha
Its just as simple for me to plug in a cord .
Instead of removing case and have to purchase a charging pad.

sent from Moto X

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
As long as you have to remove a case to do wireless charging, then wireless charging isn't for me.
Even if I just got a TPU case.:) Ha
Its just as simple for me to plug in a cord .
Instead of removing case and have to purchase a charging pad.

sent from Moto X
You can charge with a case on. I always did with my Nexus 4 and S4. I think you can go up 3mm or 4mm thick. I always worry about wear and tear on the usb port so the charging pad works for me. It is kinda gimmicky but it is kinda handy especially when you need a little juice and you need to keep using your phone, it is easy with no cord attached.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You can charge with a case on. I always did with my Nexus 4 and S4. I think you can go up 3mm or 4mm thick. I always worry about wear and tear on the usb port so the charging pad works for me. It is kinda gimmicky but it is kinda handy especially when you need a little juice and you need to keep using your phone, it is easy with no cord attached.

Ok I was unaware you could use with a case.I havent really kept up with it that much.I dont remember if my S3 had the option. I dont think the Galaxy Nexus did either.
Id agree its less wear and tear on the usb port

sent from Moto X

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I figured google would keep those things as moto exclusives to try and sway buyers towards their devices. I think the moto x is a great device and hope they build off of the design for the moto x version 2 next year, and hopefully with a little bit more future proof specs (I'm not saying the moto x is slow by any means, just would be nice to have a little more HP under the hood for future games/apps or even future OS versions, who knows how it will change in 2 years)

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Definitely staying with my Moto X. I left the HTC One for the Moto X due to the width off the One. The Nexus5 is 1mm wider then the One. The Moto X is a perfect balance of screen size and handability. (yes, I believe I just made up that word)

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk 2

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

for a second there I almost thought I had clicked on a video game forum by accident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroharoo