Motorola Lapdock 500 works with Sprint Photon

Joewarfield

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everybody.
I am glad to be a part of this community of android tech enthusiasts. I am a CIT Infrastructure student with a PHOTON 4G on sprint.
Today i bought the Lapdock 500 from Verizon and am so far very impressed with this gadget. I think it will be perfect for school, IF i can get the sound to work.
Here is everything i have tried so far to get the sound to work (unsuccessfully):
Phone not on vibrate.
Made sure that the sound was up on phone and lapdock and that it was unmuted.
Undocked phone and docked it again.
Shut off phone and took out battery
I checked to make sure that the Webtop and sprint build software were up to date.
I Live chatted with Moto to solve the problem but found no solution. They suggested sending it to them to look at but that is a no go because i could just return it to Verizon and get a new one.
I really want to keep this accessory but i absolutely NEED sound. I am going to return it Tomorrow and test out a new one to see if it works, if anyone finds a solution please let me know. i will let you know if i am successful. Thanks :)

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi Everybody.
I am glad to be a part of this community of android tech enthusiasts. I am a CIT Infrastructure student with a PHOTON 4G on sprint.
Today i bought the Lapdock 500 from Verizon and am so far very impressed with this gadget. I think it will be perfect for school, IF i can get the sound to work.
Here is everything i have tried so far to get the sound to work (unsuccessfully):
Phone not on vibrate.
Made sure that the sound was up on phone and lapdock and that it was unmuted.
Undocked phone and docked it again.
Shut off phone and took out battery
I checked to make sure that the Webtop and sprint build software were up to date.
I Live chatted with Moto to solve the problem but found no solution. They suggested sending it to them to look at but that is a no go because i could just return it to Verizon and get a new one.
I really want to keep this accessory but i absolutely NEED sound. I am going to return it Tomorrow and test out a new one to see if it works, if anyone finds a solution please let me know. i will let you know if i am successful. Thanks :)

I have the exact same problem as you. See my post on page 2 right before yours.

Can anyone chime in?

Sprint Legacy - Nokia 6120 / Qualcomm QCP-860 / Motorola StarTac / Motorola TimePort / Samsung SPH-i500 / Samsung N400 / Sony Ericsson T608 / Sanyo RL-7300 / Sanyo MM-7500 / Samsung A900 / Sprint PPC-6700 / Palm Treo 700wx / HTC Mogul / HTC Touch PRO / Nextel BlackBerry 8350i / Motorola V950 Renegade (QChat Direct Connect) / Samsung Moment / HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Apple iPhone 4S / MOTOROLA PHOTON 4G

Mobile Broadband - Sierra Wireless 598U USB Air Card / Sierra Wireless Overdrive Pro

Joewarfield

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I took the Lapdock 500 back to verizon to get a new one but they were of stock, so they waived the 14 return limit and let me keep it until they get more units in. While i was there, i tested out the Lapdock 100 to see if the sound works and it does. If the next Lapdock 500s sound doesn't work I'll get the 100.Which would be a bummer because i LOVE this device. I'll update soon.

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I took the Lapdock 500 back to verizon to get a new one but they were of stock, so they waived the 14 return limit and let me keep it until they get more units in. While i was there, i tested out the Lapdock 100 to see if the sound works and it does. If the next Lapdock 500s sound doesn't work I'll get the 100.Which would be a bummer because i LOVE this device. I'll update soon.

Please keep this post updated with your experiences with lapdock 500 (getting sound to work ) or if you pickup the lapdock 100 - how it compares to the 500.

Thanks

Sprint Legacy - Nokia 6120 / Qualcomm QCP-860 / Motorola StarTac /Motorola TimePort / Samsung SPH-i500 / Samsung N400 / Sony Ericsson T608 / Sanyo RL-7300 / Sanyo MM-7500 / Samsung A900 / Sprint PPC-6700 / Palm Treo 700wx / HTC Mogul / HTC Touch PRO / Nextel BlackBerry 8350i / Motorola V950 Renegade (QChat Direct Connect) /Samsung Moment / HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Apple iPhone 4S /MOTOROLA PHOTON 4G

Mobile Broadband - Sierra Wireless 598U USB Air Card / Sierra Wireless Overdrive Pro

Joewarfield

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE:
So today Verizon called about a replacement Lapdock 500. I went to the store an tested the new one out and the sound still does not work. I decided to keep my 500 because i really think this is a cool gadget and I found a work-around.
I found that while the speakers and headphone jack don't work, the phone speakers will work when I switch to them using the drop down menu by clicking on the speaker icon next to the clock at the top-right of the screen. However, when I plugged some speakers into the phone headphone jack, nothing happened. I know that the PHOTON has Bluetooth, so I went to Best Buy and bought a Rocketfish Mobile Wireless Stereo Headset for $60. After pairing and connecting to my PHOTON, I docked the phone, Switched the speaker selection from phone to Lapdock and opened youtube and...it works! Perfect wireless sound. I can listen to videos, music, and even answer calls. LOVE IT.
While this is a moderately expensive fix, I think it is worth it in order to have a completely mobile, low cost, laptop with unlimited Data without paying for tethering. In short, DO IT.

WHAT TO DO.
_Bluetooth headphones or headset
_Pair and connect to phone
_Dock
_Make sure speaker setting is on Lapdock.
_Activate Headphones and enjoy.

*sometimes things get weird or don't work. Undock, restart phone, or unpair headphones/headset until it works again. Remember what you did so you can do it again later quickly if need be.

THIS MIGHT WORK WITH THE LAPDOCK 100. That would be sweet.

Last edited:

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE:
So today Verizon called about a replacement Lapdock 500. I went to the store an tested the new one out and the sound still does not work. I decided to keep my 500 because i really think this is a cool gadget and I found a work-around.
I found that while the speakers and headphone jack don't work, the phone speakers will work when I switch to them using the drop down menu by clicking on the speaker icon next to the clock at the top-right of the screen. However, when I plugged some speakers into the phone headphone jack, nothing happened. I know that the PHOTON has Bluetooth, so I went to Best Buy and bought a Rocketfish Mobile Wireless Stereo Headset for $60. After pairing and connecting to my PHOTON, I docked the phone, Switched the speaker selection from phone to Lapdock and opened youtube and...it works! Perfect wireless sound. I can listen to videos, music, and even answer calls. LOVE IT.
While this is a moderately expensive fix, I think it is worth it in order to have a completely mobile, low cost, laptop with unlimited Data without paying for tethering. In short, DO IT.

WHAT TO DO.
_Bluetooth headphones or headset
_Pair and connect to phone
_Dock
_Make sure speaker setting is on Lapdock.
_Activate Headphones and enjoy.

*sometimes things get weird or don't work. Undock, restart phone, or unpair headphones/headset until it works again. Remember what you did so you can do it again later quickly if need be.

THIS MIGHT WORK WITH THE LAPDOCK 100. That would be sweet.

Strange, speakers should work out of the box. Joe, it seems you and I are the only ones having this issue. I have been reading this forum and others and it seems no one else is having this issue. I wonder if its a software issue, maybe an app / launcher. Sometimes strange things like this happen with software conflicts. I am surrently using GO launcher. Any other thoughts, anyone?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Speakers wont work until our next update to webtop. The current version our phone is approved for lapdock 100, which doesn't have speakers, so there's no reason the phone would try to push audio.

I briefly scanned a story that a moto exec hinted at webtop being abandoned in the future in favor of full android mirroring. Think it was on gizmodo and sourced to pc mag but don't take my word, google it.

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Speakers wont work until our next update to webtop. The current version our phone is approved for lapdock 100, which doesn't have speakers, so there's no reason the phone would try to push audio.

I briefly scanned a story that a moto exec hinted at webtop being abandoned in the future in favor of full android mirroring. Think it was on gizmodo and sourced to pc mag but don't take my word, google it.

KSmith Im pretty sure the Lapdock 100 DOES have speakers, on the bottom. Either way, I cant believe that I have only heard of 2 people having issues with no audio using the PHOTON 4G with the Lapdock 500.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Oh yeah ... of course! Why wouldn't someone look on the bottom of the computer for speakers, the logical place to put a speaker lol! Moto makes some odd choices like having charging port on what is the bottom of the phone when using kickstand making it impossible to charge and have the phone propped :what:

See if VzW store or sprint store will let you toss the photon onto a 100 and my guess is sound will work flawlessly.

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

The speakers are on the bottom of the lapdock 100.'
They work very well
I believe your problem may be the F10 key which is mute
When I first got my lapdock 100 I was having trouble with the speakers and couldnt figure it out
I traced it to the F10 key
In the current version of the software on the Photon , it does not show you if the key has been depressed.
The only way to find out is to put thr music player on play and after you hear the music through the phone. Plug the phone into the dock and press the F10 key

NOTE: The Photon has two different volume settings
When in the dock the first time you adjust the volume you are only adjusting the RINGER volume
You have to have MEDIA going to adjust the MEDIA volume

I know it sounds confusing but thats how it works.
I using the lapdock 100 and the Photon to type this now while the music player is running

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah unfortunately the sound just doesn't work with the 500 dock, no matter how much fussing or playing we do. It's not Motorolas fault, we bought an accessory they specifically tell us is not compatible. Im sure a future update will update webtop on our device and bring compatibility with the LD 500 but for now if someone wants everything to work as advertised they need to buy the LD 100.

Also you can adjust media volume without launching media by menu>settings>sound>volume.

swkntexas

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah ... of course! Why wouldn't someone look on the bottom of the computer for speakers, the logical place to put a speaker lol! Moto makes some odd choices like having charging port on what is the bottom of the phone when using kickstand making it impossible to charge and have the phone propped :what:

See if VzW store or sprint store will let you toss the photon onto a 100 and my guess is sound will work flawlessly.

The kickstand works just fine if you flip the phone over with the charger and hdmi port on top. The screen flips in all 4 directions. Source: I have a Photon 4G and use the kickstand with charger plugged in just fine.

horn34

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't get the touchpad to work. Swiping, clicking, dragging, etc. does nothing. I can plug a USB mouse in and it works fine. Anyone else have this problem?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The kickstand works just fine if you flip the phone over with the charger and hdmi port on top. The screen flips in all 4 directions. Source: I have a Photon 4G and use the kickstand with charger plugged in just fine.

The Motorola home application has 270 degree support, so yes you could do that because I did the same for several months. But I don't suggest anyone concerned with the cosmetics of their phone do that.

When the kickstand is used properly it balances on the blunt end of the stand, sturdy and hidden from sight. When used how you describe, the weight is on the broad exposed part of the stand. From using it how you describe for the past few months, the chrome is completely worn off the outside of my kickstand at the very end. The rest of the kickstand, which still has chrome, is very very scratched up and almost looks like a dull aluminum. I only used it this way when I was sleeping so its not like I was dragging the phone across gravel.

I personally don't care too much about the cosmetics so I haven't lost any sleep over it but had the kickstand been reversed during design or ports swapped then my kickstand would still be chrome :banghead:

robogar

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
How are you guys getting the Photon 4g to work at all?

I tried the latest SBF, updated to the Webtop Atrix Patch, updated Motorola Software, and it's still flashing twice on the lapdock with no luck. Also installed webtop2sd and made a new webtop. What am I doing wrong?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
How are you guys getting the Photon 4g to work at all?

I tried the latest SBF, updated to the Webtop Atrix Patch, updated Motorola Software, and it's still flashing twice on the lapdock with no luck. Also installed webtop2sd and made a new webtop. What am I doing wrong?

Under menu>settings> about phone what's it show for build number and webtop version?

luvbug

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I just got the lapdock 100 from Verizon for 200.00 Sprint wanted 250.00. Didn't want to get the 500 if the sound doesn't work. I really enjoy it so far, should've gotten one months ago. It's nice. Now should I buy the S 3 or wait for the Photon 2?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjeans