move apps to external microSD card without root?

gkantz

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if there is a way to move apps to the microSD card without root? There are apps out there for this sort of thing but they are not compatible with the Note 8 or Android 4.1.2. Would like to find a way of doing this. Thanks.

bobby_dumitru

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys.

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, and wIth it a 32gb class 10 sd card. When i got home and logged in to google, google play etc and started downloading most of the apps i use on my phone ( galaxy s2 ) i realized i was quickly running out of space. So i tried using App2SD ( like i do on my phone ) to start moving some apps. To my surprise i could't, because i got the message..." something about not a real sd card or the sd card is emulated". First i thought it was the card, so i tried the one my phone...still the same problem.
Are you sure this is Google's doing? Because i have the same JellyBean version (4.1.2) on my galaxy s2 and it works fine, even thow it's not rooted. Any opinions?
Please give me some ideas as what to do, is there an upcoming update that should fix it? This was one of the big reasons why i bought the tablet..to keep the demanding apps on a bigger yet portable and powerful device.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Sam Mac1

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Is the SD card formatted in FAT 32? If so and this still doesn't work I really hope that they legally allow rooting again because this is just lame..

domer

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I returned my Note 8 b/c I decided I couldn't life with this restriction and picked up a Nexus 7. Love the 7, but I REALLY miss the S Pen. I definitely will make my way back to the 8 if they allow you to move apps to SD.

sherloo

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Does your device show the memory details of your external SD card below the mount SD card option in the settings???? Mine does not show up. Always saying blank sd card or unsupported file system. Tried reformating. Tried other sd cards that are working on my other devices. Please help. Is this a device problem or android or sd card?? Cant get mine to work.

thornja70

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
This is a seriously bad move on someones part.. When samsung takes up almost 7gb of free space with bloat ware, we need app to sd support. I still love my Note 8, I have a nexus 7 but that extra inch means a lot..(that's what she said) i hate to root, have done it, but reverted back through kies. I guess we can't have it all.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I returned my Note 8 b/c I decided I couldn't life with this restriction and picked up a Nexus 7. Love the 7, but I REALLY miss the S Pen. I definitely will make my way back to the 8 if they allow you to move apps to SD.

This is a seriously bad move on someones part.. When samsung takes up almost 7gb of free space with bloat ware, we need app to sd support. I still love my Note 8, I have a nexus 7 but that extra inch means a lot..(that's what she said) i hate to root, have done it, but reverted back through kies. I guess we can't have it all.

This is not a device specific limitation (per se) but a google android enforced limitation since at least ICS (don't believe me - go read the numerous Galaxy S4 threads that drone on moaning about the issue). So the story goes, Google was afraid that since it cannot stringently control the external SD card performance and file system interface to the andorid OS, instability would result if apps were allowed to regularly reside on external memory. Device manufacturers such as Samsung have been relenting to the cries of the masses regarding this limitation, and have begrudgingly released software updates that re-incorporate at least limited apps-to-external sd functionality on their Galaxy phones (the app devs have to specifically support it also, and they have been moving away from it based on google's lead; app to "internal sd" memory is universally supported). Since a lot more people own phones than tabs, those devices are seeing these updates. The problem is readily resolved by design if the device manufacturers provide sufficient internal and "integrated internal" SD storage (i.e., devices with 2GB+ of RAM and at least 32GB of internal storage). Then external storage can truly be reserved for multimedia files, content, and docs. However, since internal memory is expensive and signficantly raises the price point of the devices, manufacturers have rarely bothered lately to even offer devices (en masse) with 2+GB of RAM and 32GB internal memory, which would alleviate the technical issue. Fact is, this is a business decision since these high mem devices just don't sell well. The reason why these manufacturers (and the carriers) exacerbate the problem by filling up what little onboard memory there is with scads of their crapware escapes me. Regarding the Nexus 7, you don't really have apps to external sd there either since obviously you have no sd card slot, the advantage is the 32GB of standard internal memory. But the Nexus only has 1GB of RAM vs. the Note 8's 2GB. Ironicaly, if Samsung simply offered a Note 8 with 32GB of internal memory at a reasonable price point (haven't seen it yet) then you would actually have a device superior to the Nexus 7 without even offering the apps to external SD capabilit because of the 2GB of ram.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
GS4 just added that option with an update, I hope the GN8 will get it as well.

yea i love that option on the sgs4..hope note 8 gets it as well

seriously? The nexus 7 doesn't even have a microSD slot!!
Is the SD card formatted in FAT 32? If so and this still doesn't work I really hope that they legally allow rooting again because this is just lame..

it should also work with exFAT like on sgs4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86