Moving to the dark side (Chrome book)

kcmjr1972

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
I am giving serious thought to replacing my aging (10+ y/o windows 7) desktop with a Chrome book. I am not a power user by any use of the term. I only have a desktop because at the time I needed a blu-ray burner. I don't need that any more. I use google apps to keep most of my data online, google docs, photos, etc.etc.etc. I do have a few questions.
1. Can I cast to my chromecast with a chromebook, it would seem to make sense that it could cast.
2. Can I attach an external hard drive with mp4 movies stored on it to a Chromebook? I converted all my dvd and blu-ray movies to mp4 format and they are stored on my desktop hard drive.
3. I have a wifi capable printer will it work with a Chromebook?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I am a Chromebook zealot -- I think you'll love it!

1. Can I cast to my chromecast with a chromebook, it would seem to make sense that it could cast.

Absolutely. Many sites already have a dedicated Cast button, but if you don't see one (like with YouTube Music), you can always use the Chrome browser's Cast Tab option.

2. Can I attach an external hard drive with mp4 movies stored on it to a Chromebook? I converted all my dvd and blu-ray movies to mp4 format and they are stored on my desktop hard drive.

I've never tried it myself with a HDD or SSD, but it should be fine: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183093?hl=en

3. I have a wifi capable printer will it work with a Chromebook?

Should work fine.

BTW, I think Chrome OS is on the side of the Jedi.:p Enjoy!

1970CowboysIAFan

Dec 31, 2019
Visit site
kcmjr1972, I'm on my second Chromebook (ASUS C523NA), and I can honestly say that I may never go back to Windows-based systems. To answer your second and third questions:

To both questions, YES. I have an external hard drive full of pictures (and other things), and it works just fine when I plug it into an available USB port on my Chromebook. As to the wifi capable printer, I have one of those, as well (Canon MG3600 series), and I can tell you it works just fine.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Ime, quite a few websites will not function, especially for security system web pages. Otherwise, it's a good internet surfer.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
kcmjr1972, I'm on my second Chromebook (ASUS C523NA), and I can honestly say that I may never go back to Windows-based systems. To answer your second and third questions:

To both questions, YES. I have an external hard drive full of pictures (and other things), and it works just fine when I plug it into an available USB port on my Chromebook. As to the wifi capable printer, I have one of those, as well (Canon MG3600 series), and I can tell you it works just fine.

A Windows machine would have shown the original post date, just sayin.

lol

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Aw come on, it's WAY more than just an internet surfer.:) That criticism was valid when ChromeOS first came out, but they're so much more versatile now.

And post dates are visible -- it's a Chrome browser, after all.