My android phone gives me 'there was a problem connecting to google servers'

vrforever

Nov 12, 2020
Visit site
I bought a cheap used phone, money is a bit tight right now. Its a P41 Android 9.1 I dont even know the brand.
I just want it to check facebook and email, send WhataApp, so I don't need anything fancy (read expensive).

I can log in to my account to use the google search, and I can check my email but not access play store, it asks me to use an existing account or create a new one, but when I enter the email and password (after it asks me to make a new google account or use an existing one), I get the error 'there was a problem connecting to google servers' with the not so helpful 'try again later'.

I've managed to install some apps via APK's - but not playstore, or WhatsApp.
So I cant 'update playstore' as a solution.
I ran the WhatsApp APK but now it says it has a problem and needs to uninstall-reinstall via the playstore - and I cant get past that screen without the connection to servers error.

I've searched online and tried a few things, cleared data and cashe on all the google apps for example, I've even done a factory reset.
I searched here and find the question 'does it work on data', I haven't tried yet on mobile data, as I bought a new pack but it hasn't landed on my account yet. I'll try that tomorrow (as its late now) and update any progress in the comments. Even if it works on data, I'd hope to solve it as I dont want to use data for everything, I'm on WIFI most of the time I need the phone.

I'm posting now in the hope of some useful suggestions what to try and/or questions for more information to help you diagnose the issue.

I haven't rooted the phone, although I'd try a solution which required that if it could work. Sorry if thats a taboo subject here, I'm new :)
I'm not much with phones, computers is my comfort zone - but I can follow instructions and I have a teenage son who can do anything too technical for me!

I'd be really happy if you guys can help me out, and thanks in advance for any links suggestions or pointers.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You got this from Wish or some similar site, right? This is almost certainly a no-name direct-from-China knockoff of a better known brand like Huawei. The listings for these phones (and the phones themselves) are filled with inaccurate information about their specs -- e.g., "8 GB RAM, 512 GB storage" is typically more like 1 GB RAM and 16 GB storage, while an "Android Pie" phone is often actually using a version as outdated as Lollipop.

Did the phone come with the Play Store app installed? If not, then it's not certified for Google Play, and you won't be able to install apps from there. You'd have to use some other obscure app source that is probably based in China, with inferior apps (and most likely a lot of malware-infested apps).

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
P41 turns back a few results on Google and they seem to all be cheap Chinese phones. If it is a cheap phone out of China they don't have access to Google services over there and don't use the play store.

Without knowing for sure what phone you have it will be hard to provide more help.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I am so sorry this has happened to you. These clone phones are a nightmare. They are not the specs you think they are and they are really poor quality. I doubt you will be able to use this phone in any meaningful way. I doubt it is even Android 5.0 lollipop. Most of them are 4.2 or 4.4 Kitkat and most modern apps won’t install. I got stung for one of these before I was clued up and I luckily got my money back from Wish when I filed a complaint.

vrforever

Nov 12, 2020
Visit site
I didn't buy it on wish, I got it from eBay, from a private seller.
Assuming it's a cheap knok off, would the phone itself display false information such as storage space? It does display specs that were listed, and displays android 9.1

Is there any reliable way I can check what version of android the phone has? I'm thinking such as connecting it to my PC and running a (free) diagnostic program?

The phone came with play store and Facebook preinstalled, so I think it 'should' have access to them.

Update - I have tried to use mobile data, and the result is the same error. This suggests to me that its a problem with the phone settings rather than a problem with my router or some other issue with the connection through wifi. Also we have several phones in the household, and all are able to connect to playstore via the wifi.

Last edited by a moderator:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I didn't buy it on wish, I got it from eBay, from a private seller.
Assuming it's a cheap knok off, would the phone itself display false information such as storage space? It does display specs that were listed, and displays android 9.1

Is there any reliable way I can check what version of android the phone has? I'm thinking such as connecting it to my PC and running a (free) diagnostic program?

I could be way off on this, and someone more knowledgeable about android versions can correct me.... but I don't seem to recall a 9.1 version of pie? They did have 7.1 nougat, and 8.1 oreo though. I didn't get 9.1 on my pixel or Moto phones, and don't remember seeing any other phones running that version ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One thing I can say is I have a tablet on my nightstand running 4.4.2 kitkat with a fully functioning play store app. A lot of the apps say not compatible with my device, but I still get alerted to updates for the apps on it that still work. Chrome no longer updates on it though, so if you can't update chrome past a certain point you aren't running android 9 :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Assuming it's a cheap knok off, would the phone itself display false information such as storage space?

Absolutely. Check out videos from SMOOREZ, who likes to get these cheap knockoffs and show just how much the listings and the phones themselves lie about their specs: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXL7BeoLvnObB0riYv5qwSg. He uses a number of different system info apps to find out what exactly is under the hood -- and even those apps can be fooled. If you watch some of those videos, you can find out which apps he uses. This is a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEA4x70nZoA&t=2710s

I think J Dubbs is correct -- there was never an official Android 9.1. They might have been confusing it with EMUI 9.1!:p

vrforever

Nov 12, 2020
Visit site
So I installed android info app, and sure enough it's not android 9.1, its actually kitkat android 4.4.2
Its 465MB (!) not 6GB RAM, and 2GB not 128GB storage.

Hopefully a refund is in order, and eBay does tend to side strongly with a buyer, should it be disputed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej