My decision between the EVO and the EPIC...

tricex2

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
That is exaggerated. The Pre seems thick in the specs because of the curved back. The Intercept is supposedly 15.2mm thick, but it actually is virtually the same as the Pre side by side. The design of hte Pre makes it look thinner than the Intercept too.

I think the Epic will actually end up looking only slightly thinner than the Pre, despite what looks like a large difference in the specs. Of course, the fact taht it is so large will add to the perception of its thinness, particularly when it is opened and the two halves are separated.

+1
without checking the tech specs, the Pre never seemed overly thick when closed or open. I haven't had a chance to check out an intercept(not that I really want to) but any thickness relative to the Pre is a win in my book especially when more screen real estate factored in.

Last edited:

messiah143

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
My opinion I think it comes down to personal preference because both of them are really excellent phones. I just like the Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G a whole lot better than the Evo.

messiah143

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Also I own a Palm Pre and it seems relatively thicker compared to the Epic 4G. Also I believe that the Epic 4G is lighter than the Palm Pre and lighter than the Evo 4G.

tricex2

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Also I own a Palm Pre and it seems relatively thicker compared to the Epic 4G. Also I believe that the Epic 4G is lighter than the Palm Pre and lighter than the Evo 4G.

Thinner = great Lighter = hmmm, cause the Pre is pretty light to me and even though I've only dropped it like 3 times since launch, I always find myself making sure I have a good grip because of how light it feels. I guess I'll just buy a hard case for the first time to add some feel/weight to the Epic.

messiah143

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if the Galaxy S Epic 4G is heavier than the Pre cause I never held both of them in both hands at the same time. Your right that it is lighter than the Evo, but the Pre I would like to check that out myself.

R32_Rocky

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I used k-9 when I had my Evo Sense's built in e-mail reader was junk. You couldn't even save e-mails to SD. Also what's wrong with using TouchWiz's built in e-mail client?

Are you kidding me??? It was slow in getting the mail (had it set at 15 min), and even then it appears to have only grabbed just the headers. For every message I opened to read, I would have to wait yet again for the complete message to download. And the whole interface was as if some 3rd grader designed it. But perhaps it is because I am used to using REAL MS Outlook with a real POP3 account, and not some freebie webmail like gmail or hotmail (which most SPAM seems to come from by the way) that I expect more from an e-mail program? And perhaps because as phones go, I was spoiled by the more professional business style e-mail system on my old Blackberry Bold, and then the HTC Sense e-mail on my two WinMo phones, Touch Pro 2 and HD2, that the TouchWiz/K-9/DroidMail programs just cannot compare. Either way, if you depend on your e-mail for anything more than just casual socializing, the Samsung system is horrible.

As for saving to the SD card, I have my computer for that. I only use the mail on the phone for when I am away and need instant access. It downloads to my computer when I check it in Outlook. If I need to keep anything on the phone, I either resend it, or copy it over to the drafts folder.

Also, Sense has nice widgets to quickly view your inbox (sms too), even have 3 choices in view styles, TW doesn't.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thinner = great Lighter = hmmm, cause the Pre is pretty light to me and even though I've only dropped it like 3 times since launch, I always find myself making sure I have a good grip because of how light it feels. I guess I'll just buy a hard case for the first time to add some feel/weight to the Epic.

3 times wow lol I think I dropped it 3 times yesterday. I've been lucky in that my pre has been pretty good , I've not had all the problems like others. So I'm hoping my luck continues.

I will be getting some kind of case. the app store has so much that we will find a E-mail client that we will like. But this will be my first Andriod phone so I don't know how good or bad any of them are. I use the GPS alot for work so i hope that it in good working order.

Last edited:

TripleAgent

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
3 times wow lol I think I dropped it 3 times yesterday. I've been lucky in that my pre has been pretty good , I've not had all the problems like others. So I'm hoping my luck continues.

I will be getting some kind of case. the app store has so much that we will find a E-mail client that we will like. But this will be my first Andriod phone so I don't know how good or bad any of them are. I use the GPS alot for work so i hope that it in good working order.

I'm a bit worried about not having the convenience of Outlook, but hopefully there's something decent out there. Probably the only thing keeping me curious about WP7 besides XBL integration.

gotthelife4u

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
My brother has a Droid X and it plays nice with our outlook server. So if I am understanding correctly the Epic's stock email client will not work right with outlook. I am new to android so i get confused when it comes to the email stuff.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry R32_Rocky, but I don't know what's wrong. I set up MobileMe on my Evo and the mail was retrieved in K9 mail AT THE SAME TIME as my MobileMe got it.

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I guess the bottom line for me was that the Epic was not a good enough phone to make me drop the EVO. Though, if you are coming from a Pre, it would be a great upgrade. It is certainly a great reason to switch to Sprint from ATT/Verizon/T-Mobile.

Anyway, I never meant to rag on the Epic, just to give my opinion on which (between the EVO and the Epic) was better for me. :)

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The EVO still has crappy HD video right? and poor stills? Those are the main reasons why I'm opting for the EPic... and also earlier reports indicated smaller size of the Epic although that doesn't seem to hold true now.

If EVO had serviceable HD video and stills I would own an EVO by now.

ltrguy261

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Based on the pictures i have seen it appears that the Evo takes better stills. I am not sure about the video because I haven't seen a side by side comparison.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Epic for me for several reasons. I had the Evo before and got rid of it for several reasons. The screen on the Evo is plain ugly, scrolling wasn't smooth then I read it had a 30fps lock, games lag and missed the keyboard.

The epic has solved all the things I hated about the Evo.

NSS

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
What is the daily briefing widget that everyone keeps talking about? Sorry I haven't played around with the Captivate or Vibrant so I don't see the big deal about it.

jamex

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't see the big deal with widgets. I will disable all of them if I could. They were worthless to me and probably just drain the battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene