MY headphone output on my LG V30 acting strange

Nativebon

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
Got my LG V30 for just over a week now, I thought the Volume output from very the headphone jack was low from the first time I tried out my headphones. Suddenly I noticed the Volume went almost 50% louder.(After removing headphones and plug them back) Now I thought that's more like it. I thought why has the volume suddenly got louder so stopped the music, pulled out the pull from the head phone jack, then back in, at exactly at the same volume level before removing them,(50) again the Volume was down my half again. Really strange. Just to make sure the problem was not with the headphones I tried them on my other phone and my sound card no problems there what so ever.

To make matters worse the output 95% of the time defaults to the low volume output. I may get the higher volume level may be every other day, but as soon as I remove the headphones can't seem to get the higher volume back. I'm suspecting the LG DAC is not reading my headphones properly?.
By the way I got a pair of Master & Dynamic MH30 headphones. The phone behaves the same with other headphones tested.

May I also add, the Volume does not suddenly go up or down during playback, the change in Volume only happens when completely starting a new listening section, as per plugging in headphones. The volume remains either high or low, which every is the case as far as the Headphones are not removed from the headphone jack.
Any help or suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Nativebon

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
I'm with 02. The settings of the Hi-Fi Quad DAC remains the same as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure if others experience the same as me, if not then I may send it off to get a replacement cause something does not seem right. Even the ear phones provided with the phone sound very very low in Volume. Surely that can't be right.

Nativebon

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
Just one more point, I just watched a Video on you tube ( LG V30- PROVED Hi-Fi DAC WORKS!) When the reviewer engages the QUAD DAC the Volume gets considerable louder this does not happen when I do same with my Phone. Could anyone please confirm this is the case. If so I will take the phone back to the shop tomorrow.

Seems the Dac only applies with certain headphones, but that still does not explain why some times its louder and sometimes not.

Nativebon

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
Hey everyone fine out why my Volume goes high sometimes but low other times. If you plug your cable into the phone without plugging in the headphone end the DAC will assume you using a high impedance headphones. Inother for this to work you need to have headphones that are detachable at the headphone end. Remove cable from headphones and from phone jack. Then process to plug-in the phone jack first then lastly into the pair of headphones end, thus fooling the DAC you got a high Impedance set of headphones.

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Personally I think it's the DAC getting confused as to the impedance of the headphones it's trying to drive. It happens on my V20 sometimes where I think it goes into high impedance mode when I plug in low impedance cans.

Now the V30 looks like they took away the ability for you to see what mode it's in. Standard, Auxiliary, and high impedance. When in high impedance it will get real loud when the volume is low, cause that is what it's designed to do.

If your cans are on the cusp of a certain impedance level, it might be confusing the v30. I would try with other pairs of headphones and see what it does.

NationalTrust

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
Personally I think it's the DAC getting confused as to the impedance of the headphones it's trying to drive. It happens on my V20 sometimes where I think it goes into high impedance mode when I plug in low impedance cans.

Now the V30 looks like they took away the ability for you to see what mode it's in. Standard, Auxiliary, and high impedance. When in high impedance it will get real loud when the volume is low, cause that is what it's designed to do.

If your cans are on the cusp of a certain impedance level, it might be confusing the v30. I would try with other pairs of headphones and see what it does.

That's why I asked which carrier. On Verizon you can tell. There is an app others can download to tell. Also all the tricks (to trigger hi impedance mode) you read about don't work the same, depending on carrier.

Nativebon

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site

It's all fine now. Like I said if I remove the plug from the headphone end before I plug into the LG V30 it now plays loud all the time.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d